The Student Room Group

Referencing in work and uni grade, please help :)

Hi guys and girls,

Basically I am just typing up my assignment at the moment however, I am confused about an aspect of in-text referencing. Say you reference someone thae use their quote, do you have to keep writing out that reference for everytime you paraphrase them in that paragraph? (which would be totally about that person's literature)

Also I am not sure whether I have been getting a 2:1 or 2:2 in my first year assignments. My work/overall modules are graded by letters and I have been obtaining As and Bs in my work, does anyone else have a similar grading system?
What I do is, if I paraphrase several times in a paragraph, I will reference them at the last time I paraphrase them in the paragraph. But if I directly quote them I always reference them, even if I have paraphrased them a zillion times in the paragraph.

I think it's the right way, haha :biggrin:
Just to clarify, here's an example:

Smith (2001, P.2) suggests that "quote". Smith (2001, P.2) also advocates [paraphrase]

Is that second reference neccessary when I paraphrase an extract of his work or is that first one sufficient for both the quote and paraphrase? I find I am constantly repeating references in respect to an individual author in one particular paragraph.
Original post by motunrolarulz
What I do is, if I paraphrase several times in a paragraph, I will reference them at the last time I paraphrase them in the paragraph. But if I directly quote them I always reference them, even if I have paraphrased them a zillion times in the paragraph.

I think it's the right way, haha :biggrin:

So you do not reference every paraphrase?
Just put it once after you have finished the quote, not before. Then put it at the end in a bibliography.

e.g. Smith says "Quote" (Name of publication, pg#, year of publication)
Reply 5
Original post by pinda.college
Hi guys and girls,

Basically I am just typing up my assignment at the moment however, I am confused about an aspect of in-text referencing. Say you reference someone thae use their quote, do you have to keep writing out that reference for everytime you paraphrase them in that paragraph? (which would be totally about that person's literature)

Also I am not sure whether I have been getting a 2:1 or 2:2 in my first year assignments. My work/overall modules are graded by letters and I have been obtaining As and Bs in my work, does anyone else have a similar grading system?

A is first
B is 2:1

Unless you have +/- as well?
Original post by tehforum
A is first
B is 2:1

Unless you have +/- as well?

No just letters, is that how your uni grades work then.

I have been doing fairly well then however, I expect my course to get a lot harder in the second year.
Reply 7
Original post by pinda.college
So you do not reference every paraphrase?

You do need to reference every paraphrase and make sure it's clear exactly what it is that you're paraphrasing, especially if it's quite a lengthy and detailed paraphrase. If the entire paragraph consists of your summary of what Smith argues in that particular article / book, though, it should be enough to have one full citation at the first mention and only give page numbers throughout the rest of the paragraph. If, on the other hand, your paragraph contains a paraphrase of several articles / books by that author, you'll have to specify the source every time, to avoid confusion.
(edited 11 years ago)
With referencing, always err on the side of over-referencing rather than under-referencing to avoid plagiarism.
I reference every time I make a new argument or use a quote.

Quick Reply

Latest