The Student Room Group

Cardiff Medicine Applicants 2012

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Elwyn
Only in first year so can't comment on anything further in the course.

First year is I'd say an average of 4 or 5 lectures a day, each an hour long. However until January you'll be doing dissection 9-5 twice a week. There'll be a tutorial or practical every week too which can be one hour or a few hours.

All things considered I'd say we don't have that full a timetable.

Thanks that's quite helpful.

Just a couple of other questions. As a first year have you had any patient contact yet? I had it in my head that there was a pre-clinical/clinical divide but then I read something on the website about early patient contact?

Also would you consider the course to be integrated or more traditional? Again I was working on the fact it was a traditional course until I read something about "PBL aspects".
Reply 861
Hi Did yous have to fill out 10 choices when applying for accommodation or have I done something really wrong? :colondollar:
Reply 862
Original post by one_94
Hi Did yous have to fill out 10 choices when applying for accommodation or have I done something really wrong? :colondollar:

Done nothing wrong, you have to fill out 10.
Reply 863
Original post by Elwyn
Done nothing wrong, you have to fill out 10.

Thank-you!! I'd seen people talking about their top three and started to panic :smile:
Reply 864
Anybody here who attended the open day on the 4th? I'm useless with names.
Reply 865
Original post by DoctorTom
Anybody here who attended the open day on the 4th? I'm useless with names.

I was there PM session... was the blue superdry top?
Original post by doctor92
Heyy! apparently we can just go to the sims website and then we can change our accommodation choices by clicking 'view' and then 'update' :smile:

Seems like Colum hall Talybont Court and Senghennydd are the closest..

What do you think about Colum hall? It seems nice from the pics.

Just go for Taly north & south, court if you're feeling rich. The experience of living in Taly is likely to be far far more beneficial than the 'shorter walk'. Whole groups of medics walking to biosci in the morning from Taly is the perfect time to catch up on the gossip and make great friendships.
Reply 867
Original post by diamondsky99
Just go for Taly north & south, court if you're feeling rich. The experience of living in Taly is likely to be far far more beneficial than the 'shorter walk'. Whole groups of medics walking to biosci in the morning from Taly is the perfect time to catch up on the gossip and make great friendships.

Hey, this is a bit off topic. But I was wondering what you are intercalating in? The reason I ask is because even though it's a couple of years away yet I've been looking into it and hoping to find someone with experience of the anatomical science or genetics iBsc. I'm leaning toward anatomical science atm but this is only based on my first year knowledge of the subject.
Reply 868
Original post by diamondsky99

Thank you so much :smile: I'm going for taly for the top 3 choice then :smile:
Original post by doctor92
Thank you so much :smile: I'm going for taly for the top 3 choice then :smile:

Don't forget the old & new North and if you're feeling brave - room 6 :tongue:
Original post by Elwyn
Hey, this is a bit off topic. But I was wondering what you are intercalating in? The reason I ask is because even though it's a couple of years away yet I've been looking into it and hoping to find someone with experience of the anatomical science or genetics iBsc. I'm leaning toward anatomical science atm but this is only based on my first year knowledge of the subject.

I'm doing psychology & medicine... but I've chosen geneticsy modules as I do enjoy genetics and genetics was my 2nd choice for an iBSc. Not many people choose genetics actually (2 did this year!). Anatomy is competitive (only spaces for 3 I think) and so you need to be on top of your game to go for it. Bare in mind anatomy iBSc is not about gross anatomy like in the DR but intricate cell processes etc and physiology. I haven't actually talked to anyone who's doing it so I can't really help too much on that front though.

Doing an iBSc is a different kettle of fish compared to medicine. A lot of biology, cell processes etc. Research is blimmin hard! I've been more stressed this year than I ever have been I think, I didn't make it easy for myself with the modules and research project I've chosen but even so!
Reply 871
Do medical students live in cartwright court?
Please someone?
Just firmed Cardiff :biggrin:

Guess I'll be seeing some of you there!
Any clue if Cardiff looks over your AS result?
Or is it the predictions, personal statement, reference, work experience, GCSEs that matter for the offers? :/ Anybody?
Reply 874
Original post by mollie.harris
Any clue if Cardiff looks over your AS result?
Or is it the predictions, personal statement, reference, work experience, GCSEs that matter for the offers? :/ Anybody?

They don't use AS results or A2 predictions. By that I think they mean as long as your predictions meet the criteria of AAA you will be treated the same as someone with 5 A* predictions. GCSEs and PS (which is work exp etc) are the important parts. UKCAT is used only to distinguish between two very similar candidates.
Original post by Elwyn
They don't use AS results or A2 predictions. By that I think they mean as long as your predictions meet the criteria of AAA you will be treated the same as someone with 5 A* predictions. GCSEs and PS (which is work exp etc) are the important parts. UKCAT is used only to distinguish between two very similar candidates.

Thankyou! =]
You sure about this thing that they don't look over your AS result? If that's correct, I'm definitely applying to Cardiff!
Reply 876
So my accomodation form has been done, student finance has been done and sent off, now I just have to wait till september, very very excited now! Taly South, then North then Court as my top 3! Anyone else majorly excited now?
Reply 877
Does anyone know roughly when they start allocating accommodation?
Just wondering if anyone else has had a letter from Cardiff with the Fitness to Practice form? I sent an Occupational Health one off a couple of months ago, but they've sent me another one asking for my vaccinations again. Does anyone know if I need to send them again?
Reply 879
Original post by daniahthomas
Just wondering if anyone else has had a letter from Cardiff with the Fitness to Practice form? I sent an Occupational Health one off a couple of months ago, but they've sent me another one asking for my vaccinations again. Does anyone know if I need to send them again?

It's because different departments within the uni such as the medical school and occ health want the info but can't be bothered to communicate with eachother. Last year they sent us three all together, it was ridiculous. I don't think I bothered with the third one.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending