The Student Room Group

Definition of D-block element!

So here is what MS says:

d block: (Ni:smile: ‘d’ is highest energy sub-shell/orbital

But I thought 4s has has the highest energy!

Someone shed some light on this plss

also I dunno the difference between subshell and orbital and shell!

if there is any good website I could read about it -pls link me up

+rep
(edited 11 years ago)
4s fills before 3d, so it must be lower in energy :smile:

Shell = distinguished by principle quantum number n (the big numbers in 1s2, 3d5)

subshell = the s, p, d, f subshells you are familiar with

orbital = holds 2 electrons of opposite spin

So shell > subsell > orbital
Original post by EierVonSatan

subshell = the s, p, d, f subshells you are familiar with

orbital = holds 2 electrons of opposite spin

So shell > subsell > orbital

+rep
you changed your avatar..only just noticed!

Here is another definition off MS:
Transition element: has an ion with an
incomplete/partially-filled d sub-shell/orbital

it looks as though sub-shell and orbital are the same thing! that's why I got confused

So maybe I ask this question: is it like 5 orbitals in d sub-shell and then the number of e inside those orbitals can be between 2,3,4,...,9 (so not 1 and 10 and therefore incomplete if you see what I mean)

Shell = distinguished by principle quantum number n (the big numbers in 1s2, 3d5)

So just to clarify: if we look at 4s2

4 is the quantom number
s is the subshell
and s contains one orbital with 2 e

4s fills before 3d, so it must be lower in energy :smile:

Oo I see why I was confused now! I was thinking 4s lose electrons first so must be the highest energy sub-shell
Original post by arvin_infinity
+rep
you changed your avatar..only just noticed!

I'm often changing it. I get bored easy :colondollar:

Here is another definition off MS:
Transition element: has an ion with an
incomplete/partially-filled d sub-shell/orbital

it looks as though sub-shell and orbital are the same thing! that's why I got confused

If you have an unfilled d-orbital then you must also have an unfilled d-subshell since orbitals make up the subshell :smile:

So maybe I ask this question: is it like 5 orbitals in d sub-shell and then the number of e inside those orbitals can be between 2,3,4,...,9 (so not 1 and 10 and therefore incomplete if you see what I mean)

It can be 1 but not 10, because 10 is filled and 0 is unfilled. 1-9 is partially filled :yes:

So just to clarify: if we look at 4s2

4 is the quantom number
s is the subshell
and s contains one orbital with 2 e

:yy:

Oo I see why I was confused now! I was thinking 4s lose electrons first so must be the highest energy sub-shell

It's bit involved but yes, electrons fill the 4s first but are also lost first when forming ions.
Original post by EierVonSatan

If you have an unfilled d-orbital then you must also have an unfilled d-subshell since orbitals make up the subshell :smile:

:yes:

:yy:

I'm often changing it. I get bored easy :colondollar:

I feel like changing mine too..but just can't be bothered to wait for uploading the pages and ..
It's bit involved but yes, electrons fill the 4s first but are also lost first when forming ions.

Is it right thinking e configuration is actually in an ascending order of energy
1s,2s,2p,3s,3..4s,3d,4p-d-f

It can be 1 but not 10, because 10 is filled and 0 is unfilled. 1-9 is partially filled

yh my bad I was meant to say 1-9
But back to my question is this right thinking those "boxes" with opposites spin are the orbitals! so e.g. d sub-shell has 5 orbitals?!
Original post by arvin_infinity
Is it right thinking e configuration is actually in an ascending order of energy
1s,2s,2p,3s,3..4s,3d,4p-d-f

You won't be asked about any element heavier than Kr. So you don't have to worry about f orbitals since things get messy and the relative energies are not so easy to determine.

yh my bad I was meant to say 1-9
But back to my question is this right thinking those "boxes" with opposites spin are the orbitals! so e.g. d sub-shell has 5 orbitals?!

Yep, the boxes with arrows going up and down are representations of orbitals.

s subshell = 1 orbital
p subshell = 3 orbitals
d subshell = 5 orbitals
f subshell = 7 orbitals
and so on...

Quick Reply