The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by pshewitt1
I need to say one thing about the green party, they are completely stupid on their idea's of 'green energy' how can they possible be against nuclear power which is the only viable continuous source of energy?

Well, there are many dangers of nuclear power.
Reply 501
Original post by Otkem
No it wouldn't, because Conservatives and Conservative voters are not so selfish as Labour voters. Nationalisation of the health service is the reason our cancer survival rates are so awful compared with the USA.

Pensioners and students had it so ****ing easy during Labour's rule. I am glad they are now paying their fair share.

Or maybe it's because the large section of the population without health insurance can't even step foot inside a hospital because they can't afford the atrocious fees they charge for check-ups etc, and therefore never get diagnosed/treated/included in cancer statistics ??

Our health service is actually one of the best, and the Tories ARE wrecking it.

I live in Wales, and under a LABOUR government controlling the NHS can get an appointment next-day with just a phone call.

In Leeds, where my Uncle & Aunt live, you cannot currently get an appointment in the same week, and when my uncle went in to ask after cancellations, all the doctors were in their offices typing away on the computer, the waiting room was empty, as was the car park, but the receptionist was still snarky with him despite the fact it turned out they had multiple open appointment slots - they were all so concerned with managing the entire health service.

It's got to the point now where hospitals etc are losing organisation because of the amount of extra work they have piled on top of them - the LGI and St. James' in Leeds were unable to communicate with each other to the extent that my Grandma, when taken in to the LGI with a broken leg (which snapped due to her taking steroids to get rid of a rare rash caused by her severe lung cancer, and she took her bag of drugs & treatments with her) had to be told by my uncle three days later that she had cancer (and a chest infection etc. caused by this) as they were unaware and it seemed had not even contacted St. James' or looked into her medical history. Bare in mind here that she was on morphine at this point and they could quite easily have killed her by giving her cocodamol as a painkiller for the broken bone.

I personally would vote Labour, not because they're a good party, but because they're a lot better than the f***ing Tories that take money to the poor to give to the rich (because they ARE the tax-dodgers - Cameron's family money comes from his relatives' companies based in off-shore tax havens) and the only other alternative is the two-faced liberals, who turned their backs on the people that voted for their major policies - Clegg in particular is just a career politician who doesn't give a **** about the public.

Apologies if the truth insults anyone. Rant over.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 502
This is not a court of law or even a debating contest, therefore I stick to my reasoning.
Original post by HarryPotterFanx
Well, there are many dangers of nuclear power.

Please tell me what they are, I'm studying nuclear power... are you? the benefits greatly outweigh any negatives. it's simple paranoia caused by the media and Russia making one mistake. fukishima showed how safe they really are...
Reply 504
Original post by billydisco
No, they should just be made an example of and not given extravagant resources.

We need to set an example that failure is not an option. This does not mean everyone has to get a job, but if you haven't got a job you should at least have the qualifications ready for when the economy recovers!

We've got about 500,000 teenagers with two D grades in GCSE Sociology and Construction Studies and an E grade in A Level Film Studies..... !! It's not really going to help the economy much (or their employment).

I think you'll find that if everyone got A grades and went to university, and ended up high on the corporate ladder the country would go to the dogs. Who would clean public facilities like schools, toilets, etc? Who would collect the bins? Who would drive buses, trains, etc? Who would clean the rubbish off the streets after your drunken night out? Who would be your secretary? Who'd work in a call centre, so you can get your lost credit card replaced or request your national insurance number, brochures etc? Who'd work in the postal service? Who'd work the beat, making sure people don't get mugged etc? Who'd cook dinners for schoolchildren? Who'd educate the next generation? Who'd build our cars, apple products, kindles, games consoles etc? Make our clothes? Collect coffee or cocoa beans? Who would bother to farm? Who'd stack shelves? Run laundrettes? Put out burning buildings? Work at Starbucks/McDonalds/Clothes stores?

A lot of the working class DO have jobs (That's why they're the working class). The WORKING POOR have less than those on benefits - that's what motivates some people not to work - because they COULDN'T AFFORD TO EAT, never mind FEED THEIR CHILDREN if they did and therefore lost the benefits they were already struggling to survive on. Not everyone can be a part of the richest 1%, because then it wouldn't be the richest 1%! But in many ways the working class are just as important, if not more so, to the economy than the richest people - think how many people would lose their jobs if no-one drove public transport and nobody built cars?! Without the working class, the 1% would not be rich - they rely on their workers to produce the product on which they earn their profit.

What qualifications do you have? Because if everyone suddenly got A*A*A* at A-level and a 1st degree then it's quite likely your qualifications would suddenly make you be seen as part of this group of "failures". Success is relative. But it's all good saying these things when you're in the group that has it easy, isn't it? Grow up.

Secondly, some of these people you want to class as "failures" may be just intelligent as you, but have had a harder start in life, they themselves are not always 100% to blame. You don't know each one personally, and have no right to pigeon-hole them.
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by redferry
What jobs? Go and find me these jobs please. Preferably ones in small coal mining villages.

You really think a miner in the Welsh Valleys can just find another job?
There are hundreds of graduates out there who can't find jobs, a few GCSEs aren't going to help them!

I am referring to the last 25 years, not right now.

Mistake number 1, leaving school without any general qualifications
Mistake number 2, not bothering with any new qualifications in 25 sodding years and just sitting on your backside claiming benefit money because the Government didnt create a job in your village. Dont wait for the job to come to you, go to the job!
Original post by H011y94
I think you'll find that if everyone got A grades and went to university, and ended up high on the corporate ladder the country would go to the dogs. Who would clean public facilities like schools, toilets, etc? Who would collect the bins? Who would drive buses, trains, etc? Who would clean the rubbish off the streets after your drunken night out? Who would be your secretary? Who'd work in a call centre, so you can get your lost credit card replaced or request your national insurance number, brochures etc? Who'd work in the postal service? Who'd work the beat, making sure people don't get mugged etc? Who'd cook dinners for schoolchildren? Who'd educate the next generation? Who'd build our cars, apple products, kindles, games consoles etc? Make our clothes? Collect coffee or cocoa beans? Who would bother to farm? Who'd stack shelves? Run laundrettes? Put out burning buildings? Work at Starbucks/McDonalds/Clothes stores?

A lot of the working class DO have jobs (That's why they're the working class). The WORKING POOR have less than those on benefits - that's what motivates some people not to work - because they COULDN'T AFFORD TO EAT, never mind FEED THEIR CHILDREN if they did and therefore lost the benefits they were already struggling to survive on. Not everyone can be a part of the richest 1%, because then it wouldn't be the richest 1%! But in many ways the working class are just as important, if not more so, to the economy than the richest people - think how many people would lose their jobs if no-one drove public transport and nobody built cars?! Without the working class, the 1% would not be rich - they rely on their workers to produce the product on which they earn their profit.

What qualifications do you have? Because if everyone suddenly got A*A*A* at A-level and a 1st degree then it's quite likely your qualifications would suddenly make you be seen as part of this group of "failures". Success is relative. But it's all good saying these things when you're in the group that has it easy, isn't it? Grow up.

Secondly, some of these people you want to class as "failures" may be just intelligent as you, but have had a harder start in life, they themselves are not always 100% to blame. You don't know each one personally, and have no right to pigeon-hole them.

Are you completely stupid? Either yes or you haven't read my post correctly.

There are jobs in London- some of these jobs required technical skills.

Guess what? Someone with an E grade in A Level Film Studies is definitely not going to get that job because their qualifications aren't worth my toilet roll. Guess what else? If they had an A Level in Maths and an Engineering degree then they *could* get the job.

could > "definitely not"

If everyone did have amazing qualifications then our high tech/finance (basically anything requiring brains) industries would increase and we would end up importing immigrants (assuming they have poorer qualifications) to do the jobs you required.

For the last ten years we were doing something rather strange. We had jobs for people with fewer skills and instead of saturating our native employment levels we were inviting people from abroad to do these jobs, thereby still keeping the natives on the dole??? I can only understand inviting immigrants to do these jobs if we had fully saturated our supply of workers. Oh well, Labour screwed up their own supporters there!
[QUOTE="Bornblue;37432972"]Not everyone has the opportunity to gain qualifications. You're so out of touch with reality it's untrue. So many kids in inner city estates barely know their father, come from incredibly unstable backgrounds and go to failing schools. Not everyone can go to university and not everyone can be a doctor.

Original post by Bornblue
I'll say again if binmen went on strike we'd miss them 1000 times more than we would lawyers or bankers.

and I will say again, are you suggesting we are physically unable of carrying our rubbish to a tip? Or hiring a lorry to dump it all in? No

I think you don't fully understand professions like banking. When the (Northern Rock?) crisis (or it may have been RBS actually) occurred we were an hour away from being sent back to the stone-age due to the money markets and runs on banks....

I'm pretty certain as a society we could carry our rubbish to a tip, than have our whole economy return to the stone-age (which is why binmen are not paid a particularly high salary because they are replaceable)....

So to conclude, if binmen went on strike either:

-I would either carry my rubbish to the tip
-I would hire a van, or hire a lorry and collect my/road's rubbish
-Somebody would see an opportunity in the market and offer a service for payment

The fact all these options exist are because binmen are replaceable.
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by H011y94

I'm confused you seem to switch from right to left and back to right?
I am referring to the last 25 years, not right now.

Mistake number 1, leaving school without any general qualifications
Mistake number 2, not bothering with any new qualifications in 25 sodding years and just sitting on your backside claiming benefit money because the Government didnt create a job in your village. Dont wait for the job to come to you, go to the job!

You are so naive it is unreal.
Moving to an area with jobs, lets say London, requires MONEY. Money for accommodation, money for travel, money for food. Money is something these people don't have. The best they can do is go on the list for council houses which is ridiculously long - oh wait, they give priority to people in the local area.
So you are suggesting they should just up and go to London and become homeless? Doesn't sound like a good way to get a job to me.
You are so naive it is unreal.
Moving to an area with jobs, lets say London, requires MONEY. Money for accommodation, money for travel, money for food. Money is something these people don't have. The best they can do is go on the list for council houses which is ridiculously long - oh wait, they give priority to people in the local area.
So you are suggesting they should just up and go to London and become homeless? Doesn't sound like a good way to get a job to me.

In the last 25 years it hasn't just been London which has had jobs.

How many fathers have moved abroad for work and sent money back to the family (ever watched Aufwiedersehen Pet????? Isn't that why the TV series was made, because lots of people did that???).

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/4109171/Britons-flee-London-to-be-replaced-by-immigrants.html

Mr Philpott said: "During the recession of the early 80s there was the so-called Auf Wiedersehen Pet generation of workers, who left Britain in search of overseas jobs.

They want the job put in their lap- end of. Why do they want this? Because they are used to being given everything in their lap by a Labour Government. This is exactly why people should not have things put in their lap and should be taught how to go looking for things themselves, i.e being throw in at the deep end. Whilst writing this I can still not stop thinking of natural selection. The "fitter" can survive being throw in at the deep end and the weak cannot.... except nowadays the weak get given a free £90,000 terraced house, paid for council tax, paid for prescriptions, paid for dental treatment and (if there are kids in the family) enough cash per week to somehow save up for a ps3 and widescreen tv (please take note I have made it clear without the kids I dont think you get as much residual cash on benefits).
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by H011y94
I live in Wales, and under a LABOUR government controlling the NHS can get an appointment next-day with just a phone call.

Well I hope you feel really proud that a country like Wales, who contributes completely bugger all towards the NHS gets a better service than England.....

Imagine if Wales was an independent country.... England would certainly be better off! Our DVLA wouldnt be in Swansea and that's your number 1 employer gone!
In the last 25 years it hasn't just been London which has had jobs.

How many fathers have moved abroad for work and sent money back to the family (ever watched Aufwiedersehen Pet????? Isn't that why the TV series was made, because lots of people did that???).

They want the job put in their lap- end of. Why do they want this? Because they are used to being given everything in their lap by a Labour Government. This is exactly why people should not have things put in their lap and should be taught how to go looking for things themselves, i.e being throw in at the deep end. Whilst writing this I can still not stop thinking of natural selection. The "fitter" can survive being throw in at the deep end and the weak cannot.... except nowadays the weak get given a free £90,000 terraced house, paid for council tax, paid for prescriptions, paid for dental treatment and (if there are kids in the family) enough cash per week to somehow save up for a ps3 and widescreen tv (please take note I have made it clear without the kids I dont think you get as much residual cash on benefits).

No, I said London because that is where the most are, currently and historically. Wherever you go it still costs money to move, and there are still waiting lists.

Again, moving abroad costs money, money these people don't have.
Leaving your family is hardly something we should be encouraging in the first place, my grandad travelled the country earning money for his family and worked himself into a heart attack and an early grave at the age of 42. As a result, my dad had no relationship with his father and lost him at a young age. I think he would have preferred not to have the financial security in all honesty. That is no life.

Oh yeah, they have it so so so easy. That's why suicide rates in ex mining villages are some of the highest in the country. They want to get out, there are just no routes with which they can do so. Throw them in at the deep end and we will just end up with hundreds more homeless people with drug problems. Hardly good for the economy.
We would already be in that situation if Thatcher (Tory, not Labour) had had her way, you can't just shut down industry and provide people with no alternative.

Also I doubt you have a particularly wide knowledge of natural selection so I am not even going to argue that one with you. But that example is just some dross you have obviously pulled from the daily mail. I have family in council estates and believe me it is more living in a mouldy 1 bedroom house with ****ty electricity and suicidal neighbours that turn up on your door bleeding everywhere. Not that you would have any idea about this as you probably haven't even met someone who lives on a council estate from way up their on your pedestal of privilege.
No, I said London because that is where the most are, currently and historically. Wherever you go it still costs money to move, and there are still waiting lists.

There were jobs elsewhere in the uk/europe/world, hence Aufwiedersehen Pet....

Again, moving abroad costs money, money these people don't have.

Besides the initial travel costs, why would living elsewhere cost more money? Even places like London have additional pay due to the cost of living. You still pay rent, you still pay utilities, you still pay taxes etc, just in a different location??

Leaving your family is hardly something we should be encouraging in the first place, my grandad travelled the country earning money for his family and worked himself into a heart attack and an early grave at the age of 42. As a result, my dad had no relationship with his father and lost him at a young age. I think he would have preferred not to have the financial security in all honesty. That is no life.

Beggars cannot be choosers.

Oh yeah, they have it so so so easy. That's why suicide rates in ex mining villages are some of the highest in the country. They want to get out, there are just no routes with which they can do so. Throw them in at the deep end and we will just end up with hundreds more homeless people with drug problems. Hardly good for the economy.

I wasn't specifically referring to miners having a cushty life. I was referring generally, it could be a single mum in Leicester with 2 kids! Point being, they were short-termistic in what they did and guess what? It came back to haunt them.

We would already be in that situation if Thatcher (Tory, not Labour) had had her way, you can't just shut down industry and provide people with no alternative.

Why should she have to provide them with an alternative? The industry was not profitable, it had to be closed down asap. These people aren't kids, they have to sort their own lives out! Seriously, I have to keep repeating myself here THEY ARE ADULTS, DON'T EXPECT THE GOVERNMENT TO WIPE YOUR BACKSIDES!

Also I doubt you have a particularly wide knowledge of natural selection so I am not even going to argue that one with you. But that example is just some dross you have obviously pulled from the daily mail.

I don't read the Daily Mail, it's quite depressing how half the country are complete morons whose lives revolve around TOWIE, X Factor and what the latest celebs are wearing.

I have family in council estates and believe me it is more living in a mouldy 1 bedroom house with ****ty electricity and suicidal neighbours that turn up on your door bleeding everywhere. Not that you would have any idea about this as you probably haven't even met someone who lives on a council estate from way up their on your pedestal of privilege.

Wrong again. I grew up in a VERY dangerous area. Why do you think I hate the underclass so much? Because I know exactly what they are like...... I will never give people like that sympathy. Where I live people are in this situation because they dicked about at school and thought it was cool to not work for qualifications and now they are paying for it.
There were jobs elsewhere in the uk/europe/world, hence Aufwiedersehen Pet....

Besides the initial travel costs, why would living elsewhere cost more money? Even places like London have additional pay due to the cost of living. You still pay rent, you still pay utilities, you still pay taxes etc, just in a different location??

Beggars cannot be choosers.

I wasn't specifically referring to miners having a cushty life. I was referring generally, it could be a single mum in Leicester with 2 kids! Point being, they were short-termistic in what they did and guess what? It came back to haunt them.

Why should she have to provide them with an alternative? The industry was not profitable, it had to be closed down asap. These people aren't kids, they have to sort their own lives out! Seriously, I have to keep repeating myself here THEY ARE ADULTS, DON'T EXPECT THE GOVERNMENT TO WIPE YOUR BACKSIDES!

I don't read the Daily Mail, it's quite depressing how half the country are complete morons whose lives revolve around TOWIE, X Factor and what the latest celebs are wearing.

Wrong again. I grew up in a VERY dangerous area. Why do you think I hate the underclass so much? Because I know exactly what they are like...... I will never give people like that sympathy. Where I live people are in this situation because they dicked about at school and thought it was cool to not work for qualifications and now they are paying for it.

Yes but these people are below the poverty line - they don't have money for rent, in this country or elsewhere. Basically what you are saying is 'move abroad, your government has failed you' to all the working (and in fact middle) class people who cannot get jobs.

She should provide them with an alternative because she is the one with the power, she is the one that controls a ridiculous amount of money, and she is the one that took their jobs away. She is also the one that sold them their council houses so now they are stuck in a back end of beyond Welsh village with all their money tied up in a **** house that no-one wants to buy because the only thing there is sheep and depression.

You are so out of touch and your views so warped that I literally see no point in arguing with you due to just how ridiculous your generalisations are.
As someone who has associated with people from many walks of life, with half my family having worked their way out of council estates and the others living in Welsh Mining villages/rural Italy, and with two parents that are social workers, I would like to think I have experienced a wide variety of working class people, and I can assure you, most are not as you have described.
Original post by H011y94

Normal people...

The scarcity of binmen will result in binmen with high salaries. Being a binman will become a well paid job. As would cleaning toilets. As would working at McDonalds.
Original post by pshewitt1
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=owI7DOeO_yg

perhaps we should try Mitchell and Webb's tactic of 'kill all the poor'

and their take on education?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kGA11A340Ck

just bear in mind I'm kidding around...

and religion?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yRujuE-GIY4&feature=related

YESSSSS

Love That Mitchell and Webb Look, "you're saying that's the ONLY reason not to do it"

Can't wait to see the NHS turn into this haha
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cVV3QQ3wjC8&feature=related
Original post by Mendeleev's Table
Normal people...

The scarcity of binmen will result in binmen with high salaries. Being a binman will become a well paid job. As would cleaning toilets. As would working at McDonalds.

My mate's da studied economics at university and became a fireman :rolleyes:
Original post by That Bearded Man
My mate's da studied economics at university and became a fireman :rolleyes:

Your point being?
Original post by Mendeleev's Table
Your point being?

Oh aye whoops, meant to quote the lad above you

Latest

Trending

Trending