The Student Room Group

AQA Government & Politics May 2012

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by hardleyouth
I RAN OUT OF TIME SO BAD!!!!! :frown: And I didn't like the Political parties question, so what I did manage to get written was pretty shocking anyway :')

I finished with about ten seconds to go :frown: Had no time to re-read my answers and my hand is still hurting!

...Got a two hour English Literature exam at 1 :frown:
Original post by HeyyImRyan
I finished with about ten seconds to go :frown: Had no time to re-read my answers and my hand is still hurting!

...Got a two hour English Literature exam at 1 :frown:

Best of luck to you! :smile: Thankfully, my next exam isn't till Friday afternoon - Economics unit 1!
Reply 22
Well, what did everyone think of that?

I did Voting Behaviour and Pressure Group topics - only question I don't really know much about was the 10-marker of Voting Behaviour.

I basically ended up describing the valence model of issue-voting and attributing it to success of the televised elections, using the data from the extract as an example.
Second paragraph I did an 'against' argument, suggesting primacy factors could have caused the decline between the time of the poll and the GE, or suggesting that the poll could have been a margin of error.

Conclusion was that although it temporarily affected the voting behaviour and contributed to a rise in support for the Lib Dems, it ended up retracting to normal before the actual General Election, resulting in a 3rd place finish for the Lib Dems both on popular vote and amount of seats :biggrin:

My definition of social movements for the 5-marker on Pressure Groups could've been a bit shaky though, but I think my examples and referral to the extract were okay.

YES! i had no idea! i started talking about how turnout had increased and stuff like that:s-smilie:
(edited 11 years ago)
What did everyone think of the exam then? I did unit 1 in January so I've already done pressure groups and political parties.
Reply 24
Original post by hardleyouth
Best of luck to you! :smile: Thankfully, my next exam isn't till Friday afternoon - Economics unit 1!

Likewise to you on Friday! :biggrin: English was pretty hard, don't think my hand will ever forgive me for all the writing I made it do today :frown:

Original post by foodnom
YES! i had no idea! i started talking about how turnout had increased and stuff like that:s-smilie:

my 25 marker was completely different to yours haha...

Those paragraphs^ are for my ten marker aha :wink: Yeah it was a pretty random question, if that had've been the 25 mark one I'd have had to choose a different topic >.<

For my 25 I had 4 paras and a conclusion-

- valence model of issue-voting (the one the questions spoke about ie election campaign)

- rational choice model

- social structures model

- party identification model

- conclusion saying valence model was pretty much the main factor but other primacy factors had to be considered too.

Used stats or examples for each paragraph so hopefully I've done okay :s-smilie:
Could anyone tell me what came up on the paper in terms of topics as I did it in January but I'm resitting next January and I was just wondering what the paper was like and what came up whether I should of just resat now. If people don't want to display the question on here they could PM if they liked.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 26
Did anyone answer on Democracy and Elections, or either of them :smile: ?
Reply 27
For the 10 marker on Participation I just drew comparisons to the propsect of a closer contest leading to higher turnout rates then in 2005 and 2001, especially in 2001 with the Labour landslide victory predicted.
I also talked about John Stuart Mill and the debating leading to greater scrutiny and informed decisions, hence more effective representation by the political parties and so perhaps greater political participation.
I think i talked about post-materialism and the instrumentality of the voting nowadays (also did that with the rational choice theory in the 25 marker)

However, accidentally thought partisan dealignment was solely due to social class and not other long term factors, hopefully I won't be penalised too much!
Reply 28
I wish I did Democracy & Political Participation! :frown: Seems so much better, far better than Pressure Groups.
FOR 25 MARKER VOTING BEHAVIOUR
I talked about that election campaign is not the most important and compared to class dealignment, economy and talked about Macmillan "events dear boy events" and how for example GordoN BROWN was played for recession so he lost his job the next election...
so confusing
Reply 30
I thought that the pressure group 25 marker was a beauty, there was so much you could talk about- it was basically dependents on group success! I.e. resources, status, aims, political context

The social movements question- I looked at disillusionment with Parliament and the improved technology, in a nutshell
Did party organisation come up or did it focus more on political ideology on the political parties question?
Reply 32
Original post by TheAlienHooker
Did party organisation come up or did it focus more on political ideology on the political parties question?

The 25 mark was essentially this: "How far do you agree that the differences within both the Conservative and Labour parties are bigger than the differences between the Conservative and Labour Parties?"
Reply 33
Original post by Symmo
For the 10 marker on Participation I just drew comparisons to the propsect of a closer contest leading to higher turnout rates then in 2005 and 2001, especially in 2001 with the Labour landslide victory predicted.
I also talked about John Stuart Mill and the debating leading to greater scrutiny and informed decisions, hence more effective representation by the political parties and so perhaps greater political participation.
I think i talked about post-materialism and the instrumentality of the voting nowadays (also did that with the rational choice theory in the 25 marker)

However, accidentally thought partisan dealignment was solely due to social class and not other long term factors, hopefully I won't be penalised too much!

if you backed up your point with evidence then you should be fine :smile:
Reply 34
Everyone ready for Unit 2 on Monday? :biggrin:

What's everyone's topics?
Reply 35
Original post by foodnom
if you backed up your point with evidence then you should be fine :smile:

I hope so, it's not the end of the world with 5 markers but yeah hopefully 3 or 4 from it :biggrin:

and i'm going to go for Core Executive, Parliament and the Constitution to revise... don't know which two I will actually go for though

I'm just going to revise two sections; Parliament and The UK Constitution. The risk payed of in unit one so fingers crossed :smile:
You?

Constitution and Parliament, I'm feeling a codified or uncodified constitution question coming up on the 25 marker.
Constitution and Parliament, I'm feeling a codified or uncodified constitution question coming up on the 25 marker.

I hope so!
Reply 39

Oh please yes, really don't want one on judges or the judiciary.

Quick Reply

Latest