The Student Room Group

AQA AS History HIS2A Conqueror and Conquest - 22nd May 2012 - exam thread

Revision, prediction and discussion thread about the
AQA AS Level History:
Conqueror and Conquest 1066 - 1087 (HIS2A)
exam, Tuesday 22nd May 2012
1h 30mins

Yeah, is anyone else doing this exam? it seems like hardly any teachers chose this unit but I'm really worrying about the church :frown:

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Hey.

I am also doing it (for the third time!) I managed to both times get 1 mark off an A, so annoying.

The Church is the bit which I would say is the easiest- just remember to think on the lines of continuation and change/ the extent of the Reform.

It tends to be that the Church comes up in the sources bit, so that's easier to work with anyway.

Is there anything I can help you with? :smile:
Reply 2
Original post by a_j_r
Hey.

I am also doing it (for the third time!) I managed to both times get 1 mark off an A, so annoying.

The Church is the bit which I would say is the easiest- just remember to think on the lines of continuation and change/ the extent of the Reform.

It tends to be that the Church comes up in the sources bit, so that's easier to work with anyway.

Is there anything I can help you with? :smile:

Have you got any evidence for the continental reform movement? All I know is that this was a factor for reforms of the church

and did Lanfranc reform the norman church aswell?

thanks very much :smile: i'm so glad someone else is doing this exam haha
Reply 3
Original post by Tikara
Have you got any evidence for the continental reform movement? All I know is that this was a factor for reforms of the church

and did Lanfranc reform the norman church aswell?

thanks very much :smile: i'm so glad someone else is doing this exam haha

Do you mean the Reforms of Cluny? In Normandy? William had reformed the Churches in Normandy due to their corruption- If you're talking about why he gained the papal banner/ why he reformed the Church in England, you can say that his success and involvement in bettering the Church system in Normandy portrays his ability to create successful reform in England (Also talk about Simony, nepotism, pluralism etc)

No, don't think Lanfranc did- I think it was William, but Lanfranc was involved in making the English Church Norman through his Clerical policies of Normanisation :smile:

Ahh me too, it actually isn't that bad, like it's kind of quick and you just need to be brief but detailed :smile:

Good luck! X
Reply 4
Original post by a_j_r
Do you mean the Reforms of Cluny? In Normandy? William had reformed the Churches in Normandy due to their corruption- If you're talking about why he gained the papal banner/ why he reformed the Church in England, you can say that his success and involvement in bettering the Church system in Normandy portrays his ability to create successful reform in England (Also talk about Simony, nepotism, pluralism etc)

No, don't think Lanfranc did- I think it was William, but Lanfranc was involved in making the English Church Norman through his Clerical policies of Normanisation :smile:

Ahh me too, it actually isn't that bad, like it's kind of quick and you just need to be brief but detailed :smile:

Good luck! X

The mark scheme just says about a continental reform movement happening at the time, thanks for the help

And did any members of the clergy support hereward the wake in the Fens? It hints at this in the mark scheme and it's no where in my notes :frown:
Reply 5
Original post by Tikara
The mark scheme just says about a continental reform movement happening at the time, thanks for the help

And did any members of the clergy support hereward the wake in the Fens? It hints at this in the mark scheme and it's no where in my notes :frown:

Oh right, yeah that would be talking about the Cluny Reforms :smile:
Erm, I actually don't have a clue- I don't think I have it in my notes either, sorry :/
Reply 6
Original post by a_j_r
Erm, I actually don't have a clue- I don't think I have it in my notes either, sorry :/

Thanks very much! Yeah I'll say about the Cluny reforms then :smile:

Did the church collect tax on people? In my notes it says they took a 'tithe' but I dunno if that was before 1066+

I'm just trying to note reasons why William was given Papal support, apart from the fact that Stigand was accused of pluralism, simony etc. and the english church being corrupt.
Reply 7
Original post by a_j_r

Oh ! and will you get marked if you use evidence outside the 1066-1087 range? or just ignored, or does it just need to be relevant?
Reply 8
Original post by Tikara
Thanks very much! Yeah I'll say about the Cluny reforms then :smile:

Did the church collect tax on people? In my notes it says they took a 'tithe' but I dunno if that was before 1066+

I'm just trying to note reasons why William was given Papal support, apart from the fact that Stigand was accused of pluralism, simony etc. and the english church being corrupt.

I think if you massively go off on one about pre 1066 or post 87 then they'll take marks, but I think if you vaguely mentioned for eg William's son then it wouldn't be a problem...

I'm not actually sure on that, however Peter's Pence took money from the people in order to give to the Pope- so I guess that would suggest so

I'd split it into 3 themes; political, religious and financial...
I think that what you have is pretty much it apart from Peter's Pence again. Edward had enforced its collection in his reign, and then it had stopped, and William promised to re-enforce this (Pope needed it to fund the efforts against the Anti-Pope) for financial that would be.
And then for political; opportunity for reformed papacy to spread its influence/gain international support.

:smile:
Reply 9
Original post by a_j_r
I think if you massively go off on one about pre 1066 or post 87 then they'll take marks, but I think if you vaguely mentioned for eg William's son then it wouldn't be a problem...

I'm not actually sure on that, however Peter's Pence took money from the people in order to give to the Pope- so I guess that would suggest so

I'd split it into 3 themes; political, religious and financial...
I think that what you have is pretty much it apart from Peter's Pence again. Edward had enforced its collection in his reign, and then it had stopped, and William promised to re-enforce this (Pope needed it to fund the efforts against the Anti-Pope) for financial that would be.
And then for political; opportunity for reformed papacy to spread its influence/gain international support.

:smile:

Peter's Pence!!! Of course I totally forgot about that!

Yeah I remember he reinstated it and could I say spiritually the building of new romanesque cathedrals brought people closer to God? and I'll mention removing all but 2 anglo-saxon bishops under political

this is great thank you!! :biggrin:

And what exactly was the Council of Lillebonne? I've got in my notes that William used this to extend his authority over the english - was it like a council to discuss laws or something?

I'm an atheist haha it's hard to imagine what the views were like in the 11th century
Reply 10
oh and here: http://www.bbc.co.uk/history/british/normans/after_01.shtml

It says that Abbot Thurstan helped Hereward the wake- so I can talk about that as evidence that William had less control over anglo-saxon bishops
Reply 11
Original post by Tikara
Peter's Pence!!! Of course I totally forgot about that!

Yeah I remember he reinstated it and could I say spiritually the building of new romanesque cathedrals brought people closer to God? and I'll mention removing all but 2 anglo-saxon bishops under political

this is great thank you!! :biggrin:

And what exactly was the Council of Lillebonne? I've got in my notes that William used this to extend his authority over the english - was it like a council to discuss laws or something?

I'm an atheist haha it's hard to imagine what the views were like in the 11th century

Yeah! I'd say that, and that by changing the style of churches and cathedrals he was able to create reform outside of the central European areas.

Yeah I forgot about the 2 bishops :smile:

I'm pretty sure Lillebonne was in 1066, and it was a meeting to discuss the invasion in England, and I think it was re-adapted by Henry II but you wont need to mention that :smile:

haha, i know, there's so much religion in the A2 course as well- it's ridiculousssss :smile:
Reply 12
Original post by Tikara
oh and here: http://www.bbc.co.uk/history/british/normans/after_01.shtml

It says that Abbot Thurstan helped Hereward the wake- so I can talk about that as evidence that William had less control over anglo-saxon bishops

Oh yeah, but also remember that there were bishops who were willing to fight for him- like in the South-West rebellion; Aeldred :smile:
Reply 13
Original post by a_j_r
Yeah! I'd say that, and that by changing the style of churches and cathedrals he was able to create reform outside of the central European areas.

Yeah I forgot about the 2 bishops :smile:

I'm pretty sure Lillebonne was in 1066, and it was a meeting to discuss the invasion in England, and I think it was re-adapted by Henry II but you wont need to mention that :smile:

haha, i know, there's so much religion in the A2 course as well- it's ridiculousssss :smile:

Okay, thanks very much! :biggrin:
I'm just praying religion comes up now

good luck!
Reply 14
Original post by Tikara
Okay, thanks very much! :biggrin:
I'm just praying religion comes up now

good luck!

You're welcome, yeah i want it to come up too haha :smile:

You too! X
Reply 15
How did you find it?! Stamford bridge question massively caught me out wahh :frown:!
I thought the questions were excellent! They were very fair and allowed plenty of scope. I think I messed up on part a of the Source Question though - there weren't many differences at all ): I answered the Stamford Bridge/Hastings one (:
Reply 17
Original post by a_j_r
How did you find it?! Stamford bridge question massively caught me out wahh :frown:!

waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah

Nothing on the church!, nothing on scotland or wales!! Wtf AQA?!

I think I should of gone through the rebellions more :frown: and I don't even know what oppression really means, I just winged the first question putting in random evidence that seemed to be supported by the sources

what did you say? I said that they were pillaging the north, defeated edwin and morcar at fulford (less troops for hastings battle) and Hadrada had a claim to the throne. - they were my main points and I kinda just said them twice in different ways lol

So disappointed, if the church came up I would of nailed it :frown:
I quite liked the one about hastings failure being due to military inferiority though
Reply 18
Original post by hannahgracee
I thought the questions were excellent! They were very fair and allowed plenty of scope. I think I messed up on part a of the Source Question though - there weren't many differences at all ): I answered the Stamford Bridge/Hastings one (:

I said that source A was broader, talking about other countries, whereas B relied mostly on exeter and William's one bit of leniency - but yeah I messed up that bit too

same with question 2, I quite liked it
Stamford Bridge was basically why did Harold march North -
I put
The Hardrada invasion, and explained his claim - he was willing to follow it up with invasion so Harold had to fight to protect the country and crown
The original plan of defence had failed because of the defeat of the northern army at Gate Fulford, so Harold had to fight at Stamford lest he be surrounded when William arrived
And Hardrada could expect support from the people in the Orkneys given they had Scandinavian links from an earlier settlement, so Harold had to fight to prevent a Northern uprising, especially given that he had lost troops at Fulford.

Quick Reply