The Student Room Group

Are my a level choices respected by universities?

I was wondering before I confirm my choices if they are suitable for a history degree at university. I would also like to know some of your thoughts on them.
I am choosing
History
Politics
Sociology
Geography

Any help will be great
Thanks
Reply 1
Politics and Sociology are soft, swap them both for something like english lit and take three A levels instead of four.
Original post by MikeGrand123
I was wondering before I confirm my choices if they are suitable for a history degree at university. I would also like to know some of your thoughts on them.
I am choosing
History
Politics
Sociology
Geography

Any help will be great
Thanks

They look fine to me. It's true that English Lit goes well with History, but don't choose it if you don't think you'd enjoy it or do well in it because it's a big step up from GCSE.
Reply 3
I agree with the english.
Original post by MikeGrand123
I am choosing
History
Politics
Sociology
Geography

Any help will be great
Thanks

Hi, I'm not at uni but I am in the process of going and doing A2 levels, I applied for history and got 5 offers from some good unis such as Exeter, York etc.

Politics is not soft, it's a good subject and it can really help compliment history as it helps you to better understand politics in finer detail (History is very much just politics from the past in some respects) and so for me the two have really worked well together. I can't see the other two being a problem but if you're looking to really enhance your chances maybe consider something like English or law over sociology, it's not a problem but they just look a tad better and more relateable.

Hope that helps.
Well politics isn't soft but it isn't as well respected as other subjects, sociology is regarded is quite soft and geography is, well I don't know about geography. But make sure your subjects cater to what you actually want to do in life! Good luck :smile:

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
I don't think your a-levels are as bad as people are saying. Some aren't the strongest, but I doubt they'll pull you down...just get good grades and you'll be
fine :smile: Don't change to English Lit. or other 'strong subjects' just because it'll look better, because it won't make that much of a
difference.
Since when did the word 'universities' become interchangeable with 'Oxbridge standards'?

Your A Levels are fine for History and you obviously enjoy them; all that matters is if you meet those entry requirement: an AAA in History, Sociology, and Politics for example is far more impressive than an AAC in History, Politics, and English Literature, especially if the requirements are AAA-AAB.

If you enjoy Literature and you're good at it, then, by all means, take it. I'd swap it out for the subject you're least comfortable in.
(edited 11 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest