The Student Room Group

The Revamped TSR Asperger's Society!

Scroll to see replies

Original post by cpdavis
Yeah I'm good, just been planning for next year :yep:

Any plans for the summer?

Erm, I have a couple of university summer schools lined up and would like to meet up with my friends. Doubt it will happen though, because I tend to put social outings off. :frown:
Reply 581
Original post by suicidaloverbusiness
I can totally empathise with you here! Especially, the eccentric persona part, because I only received my diagnosis last year and ever since, take criticism about my personality with a pinch of salt. So they can like it or lump it!

Yeah, I don't really mind if people think I'm odd/eccentric. No one's really been critical, or if they have been I've not picked up on it and just seen it as a neutral observation haha. Which I wouldn't be surprised if that has happened a couple of times.
Original post by Emor
Yeah, I don't really mind if people think I'm odd/eccentric. No one's really been critical, or if they have been I've not picked up on it and just seen it as a neutral observation haha. Which I wouldn't be surprised if that has happened a couple of times.

Aha! Agreed. I don't even realise when someone is being critical, especially if it's through sarcasm!
Reply 583
I'm doing some fundraising for the NAS, 5K run in dinosaur onesie :biggrin: Donations welcome :smile:

http://www.justgiving.com/Craig-Poku
Original post by cpdavis
I'm doing some fundraising for the NAS, 5K run in dinosaur onesie :biggrin: Donations welcome :smile:

http://www.justgiving.com/Craig-Poku

which 5k?
Reply 585
Original post by OU Student
which 5k?

Battersea Park :smile:
Hello!

My Name is Dan, im 14, dont have an official dignossion but i have all of the symptoms.

I love trains and Motorsport, and when im older i would like to be a teamowner or a mechanic in touring cars(BTCC)
Reply 587
Original post by Danfilm007
Hello!

My Name is Dan, im 14, dont have an official dignossion but i have all of the symptoms.

I love trains and Motorsport, and when im older i would like to be a teamowner or a mechanic in touring cars(BTCC)

Hello :hi:

So tell us a bit more about yourself :smile:
Like i have mentioned previousally, I love Trains (Modern UK FTW!!!) and Motorsport (Runs in the family). I am an easy target at school for bullies, and i get very very depressed at times. I love 007 and like writing scripts for films that i make myself. If i was richer i would race and have a full model railway, but im selling my stuff to get bigger stuff

WOO POST Number 600!!
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 589
Had a job interview today, they asked me why they think I deserve the vacancy more than other applicants, I paused for 2 minutes and then said something to the effect that I didn't really know why or whether I was more worthy and that I'd feel bad taking a place from an applicant in a worse situation than me or who is in greater need... then the lady kind of lectured me and then tried to persuade me to boast and asked me to give three reasons why I should get the job and I could only come up with one after a while and it wasn't very good, then she said I should call her on Monday once I'm in a different mindset and that I didn't come across as very enthusiastic.

So I wrote her number down on my hand and then half an hour later forgot I had it on my hand and when washing my hands noticed its faint outline and cringed.

I'm pretty sure this constitutes as a very aspie day.
Original post by Emor
Had a job interview today, they asked me why they think I deserve the vacancy more than other applicants

I hate this question. Along with "why do you want to work for us?"

Is anyone else going to the Autism show next Friday? A friend is meant to be speaking about employment.
Read through my full diagnostic report the other day and there's a few parts I'm not very happy with ... there are mistakes, like saying that I studied archaeology at uni (I didn't), that I used to cut my arms (I didn't), that I carry pebbles in my pockets (I don't) and some stuff that I just don't think is relevant, like the fact that I buy furniture from Ikea. She also mentioned the subject of my "special interest" despite the fact that I said I was embarrassed about it. There was really no need for her to say specifically what it is and now it's in my medical records and everybody involved in my care can see it.
(In case you're curious, it's Spongebob Squarepants. No joke.)
Original post by Fail Whale
(In case you're curious, it's Spongebob Squarepants. No joke.)

Hey, not an interest I share but that's alright.

I remember when I was studying for my AS levels I was fixated on Chucklevision. I couldn't revise properly for being compelled to watch and read about the Chuckle Brothers. Although I am obviously still fairly intrigued by the Chucklevision it hasn't been an enduring intense interest.

Concerning your diagnostic report, a draft copy should have been sent to you for perusal and for suggestions of any amendments or omissions. If it is your final report and the information within is wholly pertinent to your condition then I wouldn't worry yourself too much about it. The very nature of medical records is confidentiality and secrecy when applicable. It won't be being bandied around here there and everywhere. Hey, mine says some proper strange stuff from what I can remember, I think there is some part which makes reference to my interest in sexual paraphilias at that time!
Reply 593
Hi Everyone,

First time back on The Student Room for a good while and came across this thread, so I thought it was worth introducing myself.

My name is Ashley and I've just finished my AS-Levels. I was diagnosed with Asperger's when I was 2/3, and first knew of it when I was 9. (Presumably when I was old enough to understand, I still remember being told and talking about it with my parents and the SENco). My main academic interest is Economics, the subject that I want to study at University, but not one which my school provide at A-Level :L Academic-wise, I'm pretty successful. In my GCSE's I got A*A*A*A*A*A*AABB and I'm taking six subjects at AS (dropping down to four to complete at A2). I took Maths, Further Maths, Applied Business, Geography, IT and Critical Thinking if you're curious. Though when it comes to social things, I still feel so clumsy.

When I get into a conversation, it's easy. But starting them is the problem. I just feel like I don't have any real confidence to start talking with someone/ a group, I get anxious, tongue-tied, chest tightens etc. Some days I end up loitering about at social times not knowing what to do or who to talk to, and get so frustrated with myself. Even asking for help I got scared sometimes, I'd rather stay quiet than put my hand up. However, I've gained a lot of confidence this year; I'm a member of the school paper, made a few great friendships and played a sport (hockey) on the school team for the first time :smile: Does anyone else on here feel this anxiety to talk? If so, what do you do to reduce it and thinking about it... how do you start a decent conversation face-to-face without coming across as awkward? (I know, I'm a bit of a social dunce). I just envy how other people seem to do it and make friends so easily.

Another thing with me is my memory; I can remember a vast array of information without even trying. I can name every single state of the USA, the capital cities of over 140 countries and so on. I've had a few people or so ask me in the past 'whether I know everything?', to which I didn't know how to answer bluntly; I clearly don't. It does feel good putting it to use, like helping people with Geography revision (that was a good opportunity for social interaction too).

When I try my best at something, and don't get what I want, I feel so dirty and disappointed with myself. Looking at the mark schemes on here, I think I got a B in Maths and I got into such a state about it, retakes it is :frown: How do you forget about exams and how you think you've done until results day? I just can't it out of my head.

That's me covered, hope to hear from you guys soon :biggrin:
Original post by ashermj
When I get into a conversation, it's easy. But starting them is the problem. I just feel like I don't have any real confidence to start talking with someone/ a group, I get anxious, tongue-tied, chest tightens etc

Same. I'm ok if others start the conversation first. I remember meeting a friend in real life for the first time (he has Aspergers too) and it was awkward. He talks a lot and I don't. At the time, we'd know each other for several years. I am meeting him on Friday, I hope. (he doesn't seem that keen though; from his response:s-smilie:)
Reply 595
I can't take it any longer. I am appalled at people's reluctance to take action. If it carries on, I may be asking for temp ban
Reply 596
Original post by Morgsie
I can't take it any longer. I am appalled at people's reluctance to take action. If it carries on, I may be asking for temp ban

:console: what happened? :hugs:

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone App
Reply 597
Original post by OU Student
Same. I'm ok if others start the conversation first. I remember meeting a friend in real life for the first time (he has Aspergers too) and it was awkward. He talks a lot and I don't. At the time, we'd know each other for several years. I am meeting him on Friday, I hope. (he doesn't seem that keen though; from his response:s-smilie:)

One thing that makes it difficult is thinking of a subject to talk about, I want to talk, but sometimes can't think of what as I don't know some people's interests or what they want to talk about. Breaking into a group conversation is difficult as well, I can never tell the right time to speak!

I'm the only person in my school year (12) to have Asperger's. There are other people who have it in other years though I don't really talk to them. I do feel alone in that respect, in that there isn't anyone I really know like me. (Another thing that drew me to this thread, to gain an insight to other people's perspectives of having AS) :smile:
Original post by ashermj
One thing that makes it difficult is thinking of a subject to talk about, I want to talk, but sometimes can't think of what as I don't know some people's interests or what they want to talk about. Breaking into a group conversation is difficult as well, I can never tell the right time to speak!

It's the same with me. I will happily talk about music, sports or film for hours.:redface: But, I know that isn't what everyone else wants to talk about.
Reply 599
I found it easy to get along with new friends when I first started secondary school, i broke up with most of them and eventually all of them, I don't think it was due to the autism or aspergers but I think we all have different interests and/or habits and thats what separates us, though I had seen my old friends (from 2 years ago) still together and talk to each other, i've fallen out of their friendship to the point where we don't talk to each other anymore and the only time I did see them is when they were in the 6th form recreation/leisure room.

Now in college, most of my class are a year below me and they find it pretty easy to bond with each other and share interests, whereas I only made small amount of friends, but I won't consider them friends just colleagues, there's always the odd annoying guy in the class who's hating on me for no apparent reason and another whos just plain odd. In my experience, I know now that I tend to make friends who are about same age as me or older, but I have the challenge of making friends when I go university and in hope that these friends will stay as friends no matter what my interests or dislikes are or what kind of person you are without judging what disability you have.

Quick Reply

Latest