The Student Room Group

Left rib sticks out more than right

When I lie down both my ribs stick out but my left rib sticks out quite a lot more than the right. Is this something abnormal? I thought maybe it was because the heart is on the left side so that rib sticks out more to accommodate for it?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
It is not due to the heart. I have similar problem and the reason was that I would slouch a lot when I was younger :frown: Does it cause you any discomfort?
The very top of my ribs (just below my collar bones - the very top 2 or 3 ribs) are like that, except it's my right side that stick out more than my left. It's just one of those things - the GP said (yes my mother was that freaked out that she took me to the GP at the time when she noticed it) said it was perfectly normal. We're not symmetrical after all.
Reply 3
May I ask how old you are? Do you have any prominent shoulder blades (maybe one more than the other)?
Reply 4
Mine are like that too why I lie down and pull my stomach in. I'm pretty sure it's normal.
Reply 5
Mine do this too! It's pretty normal I should think and nothing to worry about unless it causes you discomfort. If you're really worried about it you could get it checked out, but unless you're just more curious than anything I think it's just one of those things!
Reply 6
my ribs are a mess after injuring them a while back. I wouldn;t worry too much what they look like as long as they don't cause you any discomfort. :smile:
Reply 7
It's perfectly normal, a normal anatomical variant, and is sometimes referred to as a "flared rib". Can be a hereditary thing, I've got one raised one on the left, as has my brother and my dad. Nobody's perfectly symmetrical and so long as it doesn't cause you any discomfort or difficulty, there's no need to worry.
I have this tooo! I only notice if I breathe in but on sticks out a lot more than the other and they're different shapes.

The left sticks out more and has more of an arc than the right.
my left rib is the same.. you will realy notice it when you are so slim ****.. but i think that problem lazy ppl get it or got it at the young age when they were just on a **** bed and watching movie 24/7.. like my ****ing childhood i ****ing hate it. a looser child as **** i
Reply 10
my left rib sticks out way more than the right. i also get severe back pain under my right shoulder blade. i was getting worried so i told my mum and she took me to the doctors. turned out i have severe scoliosis.
Yes I have the same, its normal.
Original post by zan031
my left rib sticks out way more than the right. i also get severe back pain under my right shoulder blade. i was getting worried so i told my mum and she took me to the doctors. turned out i have severe scoliosis.

Woop woop me too. Surgery was a blast.

To the op, straighten your legs and bend over so your hands are between your knees. If you look in a mirror does your back look uneven?
I'm 14 I have uneven shoulders too
Reply 14
Does it give you discomfort? I just feel i have it for the pass couple weeks i got freaked out.
Both of my ribs stick out when I lie down but the bottom of my left rib sticks out more. I can also feel that the bottom of my left rib sticks out more with my hands. I don’t know if this has something to do with my problem but I have had posture problems from a young age and my back is arched (not scoliosis). Im 14 and I only noticed the bottom of my left rib sticking out about 3 months ago. What could be causing this? Should I be concerned?
(edited 4 years ago)
Original post by Anonymous
When I lie down both my ribs stick out but my left rib sticks out quite a lot more than the right. Is this something abnormal? I thought maybe it was because the heart is on the left side so that rib sticks out more to accommodate for it?

This is the same with me as well, according to the internet it’s because we have weaker muscles on one side than the other.
Mine causes me serious pain in my left rib and it pokes out a lot I don’t know what to do!
mine causes me serious pain and I don’t know what to do!
Reply 19
Original post by Anonymous

my answer probably won’t help but i have scoliosis and my left rib stuck out a lot more because i have a trunk shift. do you have any other prominent features ??

Quick Reply

Latest