The Student Room Group
University College London, University of London
University College London
London

Scroll to see replies

Reply 6800
Original post by Ric_94
Great, I've missed UCL's accomodation deadline. Do you know if there is still something I can do? (BTW, I'm not in the UK and I don't know anyone there so renting a flat would be hardly possible and really expensive I guess...)
Thanks a lot! :smile:

you can still send an application in. You might well still get a place.

Otherwise, private it is. Thousands of people from abroad manage it every year.
University College London, University of London
University College London
London
Reply 6801
It's not hardly possible to find accommodation. I turned up for my year abroad in Milan with nothing sorted and found a room within two days. If anything, London would be easier to find something in, considering how many students there are here.
Original post by Lizia
It's not hardly possible to find accommodation. I turned up for my year abroad in Milan with nothing sorted and found a room within two days. If anything, London would be easier to find something in, considering how many students there are here.

Can you recommend something?:smile:
Reply 6803
Original post by Dominika4
Can you recommend something?:smile:

What do you mean? I can't recommend a specific house. There are loads of estate agents if you want to rent a studio flat, or I'm sure google could point you in the direction of some websites to find housemates. Or ask the university if they have a service.
Reply 6804
EU student here. With international orientation being on the 19th-20th of September, is it naive to assume that accommodation will be completely ready by that date?
Original post by LosBlanq
EU student here. With international orientation being on the 19th-20th of September, is it naive to assume that accommodation will be completely ready by that date?

Nope, if you need a room it will be there. The only possible exception will be if there is any kind of refurbishment - I arrived at the normal non-international time in September and I was missing some pieces of furniture for a week or two as they had just done it up. But yeah, they have to keep the accommodation at an acceptable standard as people live in it over summer :smile:
Is it not awkward sharing a room?
Reply 6807
Original post by dirtyoldriver
Nope, if you need a room it will be there. The only possible exception will be if there is any kind of refurbishment - I arrived at the normal non-international time in September and I was missing some pieces of furniture for a week or two as they had just done it up. But yeah, they have to keep the accommodation at an acceptable standard as people live in it over summer :smile:

Thanks! I think even just a roof would pretty much suffice for a few days. :smile:
I assume this is against the policy regarding accommodation in the Halls of Residence at UCL, but how easy is it to get away with someone staying the night in your room?
Reply 6809
Original post by kylewstorey
I assume this is against the policy regarding accommodation in the Halls of Residence at UCL, but how easy is it to get away with someone staying the night in your room?

The rules say that you're allowed guests for 3 consecutive nights. You have to sign them in and you're responsible for their behaviour.

How many people pay attention to this rule is another matter. A flatmate of mine moved her boyfriend in for the last month and a half.

Overnight you Should be fine but sign them in or you face issues if caught.

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad
Hi! d like to ask whether you have a option to choose vegetarian food in the catered halls. There is no information on food in the halls at the ucl website....Thanks!:smile:

I remember reading something on the UCL website about how there's usually a vegetarian option served at every meal. I don't think you need to specifiy that you're vegetarian to the hall, you just chose the vegetarian options when you eat in the cafeteria.
Original post by jrmoore00
I remember reading something on the UCL website about how there's usually a vegetarian option served at every meal. I don't think you need to specifiy that you're vegetarian to the hall, you just chose the vegetarian options when you eat in the cafeteria.

Thanks for your response:smile:!
Anyone else not able to log on to portico? I tried logging on, but it keeps saying my password is wrong, despite the fact it's the same username and password I used to apply for accommodation. I then tried changing my password just in case, but it REFUSES to take anything I try changing it to saying its "not strong enough" despite even making up words and using numbers, symbols, uppercase and lower case letters. Help :frown:
Reply 6813
Original post by amyelizabeth2681
Anyone else not able to log on to portico? I tried logging on, but it keeps saying my password is wrong, despite the fact it's the same username and password I used to apply for accommodation. I then tried changing my password just in case, but it REFUSES to take anything I try changing it to saying its "not strong enough" despite even making up words and using numbers, symbols, uppercase and lower case letters. Help :frown:

is the password meant to be the same as the accommodation one?

"Applicants
Your Portico password is normally set through the Online Application Service. If you have forgotten your password click here to access the change password facility in the Online Application Service. If you have been instructed to use your UCL UserId please follow instructions for "Students, Staff and External Examiners" above and/or refer to the email inviting you to access the Portal."
Original post by PJ991
is the password meant to be the same as the accommodation one?

"Applicants
Your Portico password is normally set through the Online Application Service. If you have forgotten your password click here to access the change password facility in the Online Application Service. If you have been instructed to use your UCL UserId please follow instructions for "Students, Staff and External Examiners" above and/or refer to the email inviting you to access the Portal."

I think so, I've logged on to portico when I got the email and it worked. However, I just tried to on Monday just to see if I still could because according to UCL's website, unconditional offer holders are meant to get their accommodation replies in July. First, it told me my password was wrong then when I tried changing it, no matter what I tried it kept saying my password wasn't strong enough. Not really sure what to do anymore :/
Original post by amyelizabeth2681
I think so, I've logged on to portico when I got the email and it worked. However, I just tried to on Monday just to see if I still could because according to UCL's website, unconditional offer holders are meant to get their accommodation replies in July. First, it told me my password was wrong then when I tried changing it, no matter what I tried it kept saying my password wasn't strong enough. Not really sure what to do anymore :/

Hi - I was (for a little while) in the same situation as you - also unconditional, went on Portico so see if something changed and could not log in despite using the same password as I used for my accommodation application (I could not log into my accommodation application in that time as well). So I tried to reset it - via accommodation page (as they use the same password) and in the end, was successful (I tried several times - because even though the passwords I was trying met all the conditions required, I - as well as you - could not get in) - I thought there was something pre-set on my keyboard what I was missing, so I wrote the password in "Word" to see if it was indeed correct - once I was sure, I copied and pasted it and that´s when it worked (with the reset password that was previously denied as possibility). No idea, whether this could affect it or it was just a coincidence, but maybe it will work in your case as well:smile:....
(edited 11 years ago)
Hi - I was (for a little while) in the same situation as you - also unconditional, went on Portico so see if something changed and could not log in despite using the same password as I used for my accommodation application (I could not log into my accommodation application in that time as well). So I tried to reset it - via accommodation page (as they use the same password) and in the end, was successful (I tried several times - because even though the passwords I was trying met all the conditions required, I - as well as you - could not get in) - I thought there was something pre-set on my keyboard what I was missing, so I wrote the password in "Word" to see if it was indeed correct - once I was sure, I copied and pasted it and that´s when it worked (with the reset password that was previously denied as possibility). No idea, whether this could affect it or it was just a coincidence, but maybe it will work in your case as well:smile:....

Thank you! I'll try the copy and paste thing on word and see if that works :smile: it might just be their system acting up, so hopefully itll clear up by next week.
Reply 6817
hi everyone. i know people must have answered these questions already but i was wondering if someone could answer them for me again? thanks.

so i have a condiitional offer, so that means i can;t get mu UCl userid till have shown them i have obtained the qulifications, right?

also when is it that people begin to pre-enrol and when is it that we register with our departments?

also has anyone recived an offer of accomodation yet? or is that also given after qualifications are recieved?

thank you very much

i'm just a bit confused haha
hello ,

My name is Ganesh Chandrasekaran. i am in need for a partner for accommodation with me. I got offer letter from UCL and i am planning to join UCL this Sep. is there anyone who can help be with the accommodation near UCL. I am from India..
Reply 6819
Are UCL not giving you student accommodation?

Latest