The Student Room Group

is this enough for psychology?

I want do to a clinical psychology and after Uni they say most people get at least 1 years experience in ''relevant areas'' before doing the PHD in clinical psychology.

By the time I finish Uni (next year) I will have been a helpline volunteer for 2.5 years, working for the Alzheimer's Society for 1 year, been a carer for someone with learning difficulties for 1 year and also volunteered in a care home for 1 year.

I would rather go straight onto the PHD but I know they are very fussy with gaining experience. Does this sound like it would be enough to get me onto it or do you think I would still need a year getting more experience- i.e. an assistant psychologist?
Reply 1
Sounds good to me. Good luck.
Reply 2
Original post by pinkangelgirl
I want do to a clinical psychology and after Uni they say most people get at least 1 years experience in ''relevant areas'' before doing the PHD in clinical psychology.

By the time I finish Uni (next year) I will have been a helpline volunteer for 2.5 years, working for the Alzheimer's Society for 1 year, been a carer for someone with learning difficulties for 1 year and also volunteered in a care home for 1 year.

I would rather go straight onto the PHD but I know they are very fussy with gaining experience. Does this sound like it would be enough to get me onto it or do you think I would still need a year getting more experience- i.e. an assistant psychologist?

Yeah that's loads of voluntary work. Perhaps you should try and get some work experience with an actual psychologist too.
Original post by RobertWhite
Yeah that's loads of voluntary work. Perhaps you should try and get some work experience with an actual psychologist too.

im not really sure how to go about that :colondollar:
Reply 4
im not really sure how to go about that :colondollar:

It was easy for me because my Mum works at a hospital. I would recommend calling around and asking to speak to a psychologists (be specific about the type) etc... I'm not sure what else you can do. You don't need it though, but it would obviously help!
Original post by RobertWhite
It was easy for me because my Mum works at a hospital. I would recommend calling around and asking to speak to a psychologists (be specific about the type) etc... I'm not sure what else you can do. You don't need it though, but it would obviously help!

ok thanks. Do you want to do clinical psychology too?

I just dont know if what im already doing is sufficient enough or not!!
Reply 6
ok thanks. Do you want to do clinical psychology too?

I just dont know if what im already doing is sufficient enough or not!!

I used to want to be a neuropsychologist but now my eyes are set on the business world.
Reply 7

I don't think going from an undergrad to PhD is possible in any field. You definitely need more experience and maybe consider doing a Masters course.
You can see what experience succesful trainees had when they got onto training on this thread: http://www.clinpsy.org.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?f=32&t=145
Reply 9
According to my mum (consultant psychiatrist) you need to get a job as an assistant psychologist before doing a PhD - preferably in an NHS mental health service but failing that an independent psychiatric hospital would do

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending