The Student Room Group

Wimbledon 2012

Scroll to see replies

Original post by jukebox123
I don't mind which of djok and federer wins, I'm just trying to predict the outcome; I reckon it'll be a tough match, and it can go either way...
It doesn't matter who he played in the quarter-final, he just looked un-touchable, a bit like he was during his 5 year wimbledon reign from 2003-2007.
Do you agree with me? :smile:

I didn't see Federer's match so I can't comment, I was just pointing it out that no matter how well he played against Youznhy - who let's be honest, is a spent force on the tour - it is patently absurd to say he'll straight set Djokovic in the semi final. They are both playing roughly at the same level, Djokovic slightly better and has dropped fewer sets, but out of the two I would say Djokovic is the more likely of the two to roll the other in straights. Add to that Federer's possible injury concerns, and if he's not 100% Djokovic won't be kind.

Women's semi finals today if anyone cares - I think Serena to beat Azarenka in straights (Azarenka gets on my nerves anyway) and Radwanska to make her first slam final.

Would like Radwanska or Kerber to win the whole thing but if Serena gets there guess they won't have a chance.
Original post by Sirocco11

Women's semi finals today if anyone cares - I think Serena to beat Azarenka in straights (Azarenka gets on my nerves anyway) and Radwanska to make her first slam final.

Would like Radwanska or Kerber to win the whole thing but if Serena gets there guess they won't have a chance.

More or less agree with this although I think there's a chance we'll see two three-set matches today.
Original post by Ashnard
It's really hard to call the Fed vs. Djokovic match. As I said before, if FedError turns up then Djokovic will take it in three. However, if FedEx turns up then I think that the old man will win in either four or five (probably five). Federer would rather have a leg off than lose to the Serb on Centre Court (his favourite court), so I think that he's going to put every ounce of effort into beating Djokovic. Either way, I think both men should treat this semi as if it were a final, as the winner of this match is heavy favourite to take the whole thing.

I really do think that Murray will come through against Tsonga, probably in four sets. Murray has a strong record against Tsonga and should still be able to deal with the Frenchman even if he does catch fire with his serve.

If Djokovic wins his semi-final then it will be very difficult to see past him winning the whole thing. Murray is more likely to challenge him than Tsonga is, but even then I fail to see how either player can truly hurt him. If Federer wins, I think that he would rather play Murray than Tsonga. While Murray is the better player, there is always the chance that Tsonga could just fire bullets at Federer for the whole match (a la Wimbledon 2011) and that old man just won't be able to deal with it. Murray would be mentally fragile (due to pressure of being the hope of the nation) and his defensive mode of play is likely to be exploited by an in-form Federer.

Agree with much of this. The winner of Djokovic-Federer will see it as license to win the whole thing, and whoever makes it to the final out of Murray and Tsonga will be up against it before the final begins.

I think Murray will beat Tsonga, but I'm still not convinced of his chances against Djokovic or Federer because of the way he's playing. In truth I think he was lucky at crucial times against Ferrer yesterday and his tennis was simply not aggressive enough. If he just floats balls back into play he'll get punished - Ferrer demonstrated what happens if he employs that playing style several times. He has to amp up his aggression because defence will not get it done against Djokovic or Federer, who will eat up any balls he pushes into the court.
I don't think it will be too close, if I had to big a definite winner it will be Djoko- barring the french- he's won the most recent games- I think he won't win in straight sets- but I do not think that Federer will win this- if he does I will be really surprised.
Remember what Federer did to djok in the french open semi-final last year?
Djok was also playing better than he is now...Federer looks in form now, so it'll be a tough match to call.
I predict Federer wins in 4 :smile:

This is ridiculous - you picked out Federer's one win against Djokovic in their last 7 matches. How about we "remember" what Djok did to Federer in the French Open Semi-Final this year, for one? If you recall, that's far more recent and is thus a better indication of their abilities.

And Djokovic was playing pretty badly on clay at that time, whereas right now his form may have slightly dipped (which is why I give Federer a slight chance at all) but is certainly no worse than it was when Fed-Ex beat him a year ago.

I don't mind which of djok and federer wins, I'm just trying to predict the outcome; I reckon it'll be a tough match, and it can go either way...
It doesn't matter who he played in the quarter-final, he just looked un-touchable, a bit like he was during his 5 year wimbledon reign from 2003-2007.
Do you agree with me? :smile:

Federer often looks untouchable when he's playing the weaker opponents. It's because he's a flawless player technique-wise; always was, always will be (for at least another few years). Trust me, if that had been Djokovic or Nadal on the other side, you would not be calling Federer untouchable. He has a serious problem with power hitters of their calibre.

I didn't see Federer's match so I can't comment, I was just pointing it out that no matter how well he played against Youznhy - who let's be honest, is a spent force on the tour - it is patently absurd to say he'll straight set Djokovic in the semi final. They are both playing roughly at the same level, Djokovic slightly better and has dropped fewer sets, but out of the two I would say Djokovic is the more likely of the two to roll the other in straights. Add to that Federer's possible injury concerns, and if he's not 100% Djokovic won't be kind.

Agreed, but Djokovic didn't look great yesterday and Federer did, so I'm going with Djokovic in 4 sets rather than 3.

I predict Serena to reach the Final; I can't tell between Radwanska and Kerber but I think that only Kerber would stand a chance in the Final. (And that too only a slim one.)
Just on the subject of the olympics, obviously I was Murray to win, but if not, I'd really like to see Roger Federer do it.

The only two things he really needs to "cap" his career so to speak are an olympic gold and leading Switzerland to win the davis cup.
Yes but I think it's unlikely, even more unlikely dependent on how Raffa is in a couple of weeks time. I think it will be Djocko gold- if raffa's feeling good then him for silver and poss Fed for Bronze.
Reply 2027
Does anyone know which Ladies semifinal is first? I have a doctor's appointment and I don't want to miss Serena

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Original post by Skkc16
Does anyone know which Ladies semifinal is first? I have a doctor's appointment and I don't want to miss Serena

Radwanska-Kerber is first, Williams-Azarenka second. :smile:
I just hope Azarenka wins, can't be dealing with the Williams sisters.
Reply 2030
Original post by Pandora.
Radwanska-Kerber is first, Williams-Azarenka second. :smile:

Cheers :smile:

Original post by Ashnard
It's really hard to call the Fed vs. Djokovic match. As I said before, if FedError turns up then Djokovic will take it in three. However, if FedEx turns up then I think that the old man will win in either four or five (probably five). Federer would rather have a leg off than lose to the Serb on Centre Court (his favourite court), so I think that he's going to put every ounce of effort into beating Djokovic. Either way, I think both men should treat this semi as if it were a final, as the winner of this match is heavy favourite to take the whole thing.

I really do think that Murray will come through against Tsonga, probably in four sets. Murray has a strong record against Tsonga and should still be able to deal with the Frenchman even if he does catch fire with his serve.

If Djokovic wins his semi-final then it will be very difficult to see past him winning the whole thing. Murray is more likely to challenge him than Tsonga is, but even then I fail to see how either player can truly hurt him. If Federer wins, I think that he would rather play Murray than Tsonga. While Murray is the better player, there is always the chance that Tsonga could just fire bullets at Federer for the whole match (a la Wimbledon 2011) and that old man just won't be able to deal with it. Murray would be mentally fragile (due to pressure of being the hope of the nation) and his defensive mode of play is likely to be exploited by an in-form Federer.

Agreed.

The semi-final basically rests on whether the real Federer turns up. Djokovic has just been so much more consistent in his recent matches, so you definitely know he'll be in peak form.
Original post by Mr Dangermouse
Just on the subject of the olympics, obviously I was Murray to win, but if not, I'd really like to see Roger Federer do it.

The only two things he really needs to "cap" his career so to speak are an olympic gold and leading Switzerland to win the davis cup.

Why is tennis is the only sport that differentiates between gold medals? In the tennis community doubles isn't on equal footing with singles in terms of prestige but in the Olympics it is. All gold medals are equal to one another. Nobody says to Steve Redgrave, "Well done, shame your gold medal was in the Coxless Four".

Obviously Federer would love a singles gold medal but the fact is that he is already an Olympic gold medallist; beating two world class doubles pairings on the way to glory.
Original post by TheMagicRat
Why is tennis is the only sport that differentiates between gold medals? In the tennis community doubles isn't on equal footing with singles in terms of prestige but in the Olympics it is. All gold medals are equal to one another. Nobody says to Steve Redgrave, "Well done, shame your gold medal was in the Coxless Four".

Obviously Federer would love a singles gold medal but the fact is that he is already an Olympic gold medallist; beating two world class doubles pairings on the way to glory.

I never even thought about doubles to be honesy :eek:
Original post by internet tough guy
Agreed.

The semi-final basically rests on whether the real Federer turns up. Djokovic has just been so much more consistent in his recent matches, so you definitely know he'll be in peak form.

I don't know, I think Djokovic is just the better player regardless of whether Fed is on top form or not- after all Djock's one all but one of the more recent encounters.
Original post by Skkc16

When is your appointment? If Kerber doesn't turn this around, Serena could be on by 2.30pm if they play the matches immediately after, that is.
Original post by Alkain1607
I don't know, I think Djokovic is just the better player regardless of whether Fed is on top form or not- after all Djock's one all but one of the more recent encounters.

Federer won the french open 2011 match when both were at top form, and he ''should've'' won the us open 2011 match but he decided to clown about in the 3rd and 4th set and then when it came to match points, djokovic pulled out a stunning shot so nothing could've been done about that. Then in their last GS meeting, I thought federer played well, but only in patches (start of the 1st set and half of the 2nd set) whereas djokovic played well throughout apart from maybe the first few games of the first set, and this why federer lost in straight sets.

What I like about Federer
Reply 2038
I think actually I hope Serena can do this in 3 sets. I'd love to see her get another grand slam.
My god serena is being overrated so much, she's great but azarenka has yet to drop A set. Azarenka to win via straight sets, she wont crumble to serena's serves like the others have.

Quick Reply

Latest