The Student Room Group

Is Federer really this arrogant?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 80
Original post by tufc
... and I can't wait until Nadal beats his grand slam record.

In your dreams :rofl:.

Federer will add another GS to the list tomorrow :smile:.
Reply 81
Original post by tehFrance
I think it is what a confident person says, he even admits at the end if he does not play well he will most likely lose, how is that arrogance? arrogance is saying he would win no matter what.

Edit: I would also like to point out that the majority the British call arrogant are intact non-British or Non-European... outside of this island we like to big ourselves up slightly, it is not arrogance but confidence.

This.

Haters gon' hate, potatoes gon' potate and mirer's gon' mire.
Reply 82
"I just waited for my moment, tried to be there all the time, tried to put him in difficult situations.

"I'm the one that's playing with smaller margins, so obviously I'm always going to go through a few more ups and downs, whereas Rafa is content doing the one thing for the entire time.

"So it's always me who's going to dictate play and decide how the outcome is going to be. If I play well, I will most likely win. If I'm not playing so well, that's when he wins.

"But I thought Rafa played well. I think he dug deep to come back in the first set and get himself into the match. And also the second set.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/tennis/13663138

That doesn't sound arrogant... He's saying that nadal does not have to try many different things, and to try and beat him he must move nadal around the court and out of position.
Original post by Student2806
Federer in full flow probably is going to beat anyone on the other side of the net. He's the best all-round player the sport has ever seen.
I don't see how stating fact is arrogance.

Agreed but for the last 5 years, practically every final he has been in, a key part of his game has self-destructed. Either its the serve, or the backhand or even the trusted forehand. Federer hasn't played in full flow in a final since 05-06. Its ridiculous. I would love to see that federer back though in a final, the federer of perfection.
Original post by Alkain1607
Federer was in full flow 2008- yet lost to Nadal. Never won a French open? He clearluy is not the greatest player the game has ever seen. Nadal is a much better player, as is Djokovic.

Ahem...
http://www.guardian.co.uk/sport/2009/jun/07/roger-federer-wins-french-open
Just found this old thread but am laughing my head off at all the Federer hating. I personally think he is lovely.
Federer is the greatest of all time, Nadal will never win as many slams
Never had anything against arrogance, but Nadal simply is more talented.
Original post by MC armani
http://twitter.com/#!/tennisreporters

Matt Cronin, a tennis journalist, tweeted this earlier, apparently from Fed's press conference after the final today:

'Brace yourself for this Federer quote: "It's always me who's going to dictate play & decide how the outcome is going to be. If I play well I will most likely win in the score or beat [Nadal]; if I'm not playing so well, that's when he wins."'

I respect Federer for what he's achieved in the game. He's an amazing player and probably the best of all time as it currently stands. That said, I have noticed quite a few things that Fed says are very arrogant. He has so many fans that most people just turn a blind eye and say things like "oh he's the greatest of all time; he can say what he wants" but surely the mark of a great champion is the ability to retain a modicum of humility?

Anyway what do you guys think about this comment?

And have you seen his practices? Whenever there's a crowd he always does loads of tricks and tries to act super cool in front of them. And in matches he does like to take the mick out of his opponents. That said, if you're good at tennis, you'll understand that we can't resist the temptation to show off a little when someone/people are watching.
If arrogance takes somebody to 17 grand slams, 20+ masters and even 7 finals in a season at age 33 then i say go arrogance.

Quick Reply

Latest