The Student Room Group
Students on campus at the University of Warwick
University of Warwick
Coventry

Ask Absolutely Anything! (+FAQ)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 2760
Original post by EveIsBored
I have a question for foreign students. I'm getting my Brandos Atestatas (it's a graduation certificate with my exam results) next week, and I want to send it to Warwick ASAP. Would it be sufficient to have it translated and have that translation certified by a notary or should I also send them the original Brandos Atestatas? I'm kind of scared to do that as it might get lost in the mail. Perhaps I should attach a copy of the original, also certified by a notary? Gah, this is so confusing!
I don't know - if they haven't told you what format is necessary then the best thing to do would be to contact whoever's asking for it and see what they accept.

Oh, and how much would it approximately cost to have 2 luggages stored somewhere over the holidays? I've put down Benefactors as my first choice, though it's only a 30 week let. Travelling back and forth with two suitcases and a carry-on seems a bit of a hassle to me, and I'd rather avoid it.

Normally for 30 week lets you would be provided with a small cupboard at the top of your wardrobe that you can lock possessions in and/or a trunk room (with limited space). You could probably squeeze your suitcases in there at no additional cost.
Students on campus at the University of Warwick
University of Warwick
Coventry
Reply 2761
Hey everyone

I'm moving to Leamington next month before starting at Warwick in September (medical student). I'm living in a flat in a road off Regent St, but I was just wondering, is the morning commute really as terrible as some people make out? I'm talking about things like buses driving past you. I have no issue with getting up early because all my classes (yes every single one :P) start at 9AM, however I don't want to be turning up late everyday due to packed buses driving past me.

If it makes any difference, I'm hoping to get the U1 as I think it's slightly quicker than the 12/X17.

What are your experiences of commuting from that area of Leam? If I want to get to the Gibbet Hill campus for 9AM, what time should I get on the bus? Any advice is very appreciated.
Original post by Avicenna
Hey everyone

I'm moving to Leamington next month before starting at Warwick in September (medical student). I'm living in a flat in a road off Regent St, but I was just wondering, is the morning commute really as terrible as some people make out? I'm talking about things like buses driving past you. I have no issue with getting up early because all my classes (yes every single one :P) start at 9AM, however I don't want to be turning up late everyday due to packed buses driving past me.

If it makes any difference, I'm hoping to get the U1 as I think it's slightly quicker than the 12/X17.

What are your experiences of commuting from that area of Leam? If I want to get to the Gibbet Hill campus for 9AM, what time should I get on the bus? Any advice is very appreciated.

Basic rule is: if you make the effort to arrive 10 minutes earlier than the bus that will get you in on time 50% of the time, you'll be fine. But what you will find is that everyone is lazy and they catch the bus later and later. Eventually, you're arriving at the bus stop at a time which would only get you to campus on time if the bus arrived as soon as you get to the bus stop. To be honest, there are 8 buses that arrive on campus at the 8am hour, plus 14 that will get you there between 9 and 10am. I've never really seen a problem with the 9am service because I think most who live in Leam actually start at 10, 11 or 12 and this is probably a busier time.

Pretty much the U1 will be the best service because:
1) It stops outside Gibbet Hill campus (X17 stops at the bottom of Gibbet Hill Road/Kenilworth Rd, OK so it's not much further)
2) When the U1 actually runs, it goes via the A46, rather than through Kenilworth.
3) Last bus home is later than the 12 on Mon-Fri and Saturday. 12 has a last bus leaving at around midnight on all nights.
4) U1s are more frequent than 12s (between campus and Leam)

Downsides are:
1) Services during public holidays and also on Sundays outside of term time (eg the Sunday before the start of term). The last bus is at like 7, whereas the 12s will still run until midnight.
2) U2/U17 which run on the weekends go through Kenilworth, and actually the route taken is longer than the 12s route through Kenilworth.
3) The U12 (Mon-Fri in the mornings, term time) runs the same route as the 12 (ie via Kenilworth). Which basically means any bus arriving on campus before 9 will go via Kenilworth anyway. I've successfully caught 12s from Leam (Parade) at around 8:20 and got to campus on time, so yeah aim for 8.10-8.20 and you will be fine.

http://www.stagecoachbus.com/PdfUploads/Timetable_22397_Unibus.pdf

That's the timetable.
Reply 2763
Original post by TheTallOne
Basic rule is: if you make the effort to arrive 10 minutes earlier than the bus that will get you in on time 50% of the time, you'll be fine. But what you will find is that everyone is lazy and they catch the bus later and later. Eventually, you're arriving at the bus stop at a time which would only get you to campus on time if the bus arrived as soon as you get to the bus stop. To be honest, there are 8 buses that arrive on campus at the 8am hour, plus 14 that will get you there between 9 and 10am. I've never really seen a problem with the 9am service because I think most who live in Leam actually start at 10, 11 or 12 and this is probably a busier time.

Pretty much the U1 will be the best service because:
1) It stops outside Gibbet Hill campus (X17 stops at the bottom of Gibbet Hill Road/Kenilworth Rd, OK so it's not much further)
2) When the U1 actually runs, it goes via the A46, rather than through Kenilworth.
3) Last bus home is later than the 12 on Mon-Fri and Saturday. 12 has a last bus leaving at around midnight on all nights.
4) U1s are more frequent than 12s (between campus and Leam)

Downsides are:
1) Services during public holidays and also on Sundays outside of term time (eg the Sunday before the start of term). The last bus is at like 7, whereas the 12s will still run until midnight.
2) U2/U17 which run on the weekends go through Kenilworth, and actually the route taken is longer than the 12s route through Kenilworth.
3) The U12 (Mon-Fri in the mornings, term time) runs the same route as the 12 (ie via Kenilworth). Which basically means any bus arriving on campus before 9 will go via Kenilworth anyway. I've successfully caught 12s from Leam (Parade) at around 8:20 and got to campus on time, so yeah aim for 8.10-8.20 and you will be fine.

http://www.stagecoachbus.com/PdfUploads/Timetable_22397_Unibus.pdf

That's the timetable.

Thanks, that's really helpful info. I've given your post a thumbs up :smile:
Original post by Black-Adder
Are girls pretty at Warwick?

No, we eject the pretty ones on the first day. They might distract the mathematicians.
Reply 2765
TheTallOne

That's the timetable.

Hello,

Sorry to bother you again, but you seem to know what you're talking about :colondollar: I was just wondering, what are season ticket prices like for bus travel from Leamington to Uni?

Can you use a U1 season ticket on say, the 12? Are they available to buy monthly, and if so, how much do bus season tickets cost?

Thanks a lot :smile:
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by Avicenna
Hello,

Sorry to bother you again, but you seem to know what you're talking about :colondollar: I was just wondering, what are season ticket prices like for bus travel from Leamington to Uni?

Can you use a U1 season ticket on say, the 12? Are they available to buy monthly, and if so, how much do bus season tickets cost?

Thanks a lot :smile:

You can buy one/two/three term passes for the stagecoach buses (that includes the U1, U2, U18, X17/18 and the G1 buses that run around leam/warwick areas), when i last bought one (2yrs ago) it was about 250 for three terms. might have gone up slightly now? You cant use them on the 12 or travel coventry buses. I dont know about passes for the 12, IIRC its cheaper than the unibuses but theyre slower and less frequent.
what do you guys normally wear to class?
what about on night outs to the clubs and stuff?

sorry, i'm pretty blur about the culture and weather over there and all that?
Original post by yzarcemina

Shirt, jeans and trainers to both, although for clubs I sometimes wear smart, black shoes.
Original post by electriic_ink
Shirt, jeans and trainers to both, although for clubs I sometimes wear smart, black shoes.

no dresses or heels kind of thing? :frown: but i guess you get lazy to dress up for class everyday eventually and just end up throwing on the first thing you see that's comfy..
Reply 2770
no dresses or heels kind of thing? :frown: but i guess you get lazy to dress up for class everyday eventually and just end up throwing on the first thing you see that's comfy..

No it's because he's a guy.
(edited 11 years ago)

To class people wear whatever they like. I've seen people turn up to class in old joggers and hoodie but also seen people turn up hair and make up perfect in smart clothes. Whatever your style it doesn't really matter. Just be weather appropriate :wink:

On nights out dresses and heels are totally normal. Also putting together a nice outfit around smart jeans and heels or something. Again, whatever your style it doesn't matter so long as you make a little bit of an effort :p:
Original post by electriic_ink

Same. Occasionally I'll wear a smart shirt for a night out but same jeans and usually the same smart black shoes all day. :tongue:
Reply 2773
Original post by jameswhughes
Same. Occasionally I'll wear a smart shirt for a night out but same jeans and usually the same smart black shoes all day. :tongue:

Pretty much the same for me.
Original post by kuks
Pretty much the same for me.

However if I'm going to a really classy venue like Smack, I'll bring out my dinner jacket :wink:
Reply 2775
However if I'm going to a really classy venue like Smack, I'll bring out my dinner jacket :wink:

:lol:

Sorry - only just saw your gender xp

Nobody really cares what you wear, so wear what you like. People turn up in all sorts of clothes, but 99% of them wear trainers, jeans and a t-shirt/hoodie depending on the weather. And to my knowledge, no-one in chemistry has ever turned up in heels... It's just something that doesn't happen :tongue: (but that's probably because we're scientists! :ahee: . And everyone knows we're a crazy bunch :yep:)

If you'd said that on campus, that would so be on overheard right now... :lol:
Hey guys! I have 2 questions.

1. When should I be here in Warwick, if my course starts at 4th of October (as the UCAS states)?
2. When should I send all my diploma's and final year grades to admission office? Any deadlines?
3. When to apply for the student loan?
4. How much should I pay for accommodation when I arrive? For 2 months? For 3?

Thank you very much!
Original post by Nirgilis
Nobody really cares what you wear, so wear what you like. People turn up in all sorts of clothes, but 99% of them wear trainers, jeans and a t-shirt/hoodie depending on the weather. And to my knowledge, no-one in chemistry has ever turned up in heels... It's just something that doesn't happen :tongue: (but that's probably because we're scientists! :ahee: . And everyone knows we're a crazy bunch :yep:)

If you'd said that on campus, that would so be on overheard right now... :lol:

Haha, yeah :tongue:

Quick Reply

Latest