The Student Room Group

What have you bought/are you planning to buy for uni?

Scroll to see replies

I refuse to let myself get excited or even buy anything just incase I don't get in.
Reply 41
Original post by yeebz93
I'll translate that for you, it means loads of condoms.

Well done dip****
Reply 42
Our local Debenhams have Tefal items on half price so I picked myself up a new frying pan. By the way, I really wouldn't suggest buying a super cheap tesco frying pan to anybody, I've had one and it lasted about 2 months before it was completely unuseable, whereas my last tefal lasted me about 4 years (and only needs replacing because an idiot I was living with shoved it straight in cold water after using and warped it)
Reply 43
Original post by KyraBloke
Well done dip****

Well why did you waste your time replying to my earlier post as if you were puzzled when infact you knew what I was talking about? It does not make sense. Furthermore, you did not quote me well on my previous post, you replied saying "Bear condoms!?" This would imply that there is now contraception available for bears. Who is the dip**** now? Haha.

U MAD?
i've bought a few duvet sets from justlinen.co.uk (they sell fancy designer bedding at knock down prices - highly recommend! i got a set reduced from £145 to £31), a towel set and some pans from TK maxx, a laundry bag that was on sale in urban outfitters, and am going to ikea on monday to get the rest of my kitchen stuff! not gonna lie, it's pretty exciting haha
Reply 45
Original post by yeebz93
Well why did you waste your time replying to my earlier post as if you were puzzled when infact you knew what I was talking about? It does not make sense. Furthermore, you did not quote me well on my previous post, you replied saying "Bear condoms!?" This would imply that there is now contraception available for bears. Who is the dip**** now? Haha.

U MAD?

That's the point you downerchild. It was a play on words, which you didn't spot until now and I'm still not even sure you've got it yet.

No, I'm not mad.
Reply 46
That's the point you downerchild. It was a play on words, which you didn't spot until now and I'm still not even sure you've got it yet.

No, I'm not mad.

Nope its cool. I already go it from your mother:cool:
Reply 47
Original post by yeebz93
Nope its cool. I already go it from your mother:cool:

My mother explained a joke to you? That sounds very unlikely.
Original post by Spence_LJS
Try not to get cutlery with plastic handles... trust me, they rust and go all ugly. Stick to plain stainless steel - charity shops are the way forward!

Plastic handles also break off quite a lot :redface:
Friend of mine works in John Lewis, so I'm going to invade there with his staff discount card!

I've got so far Lot's of beer glasses stolen from pubs, speakers, Desktop PC, TV, Netbook, Mugs, 8 Port Gigabit Switch. Xbox 360, Snooker Cue
Reply 50
My mother explained a joke to you? That sounds very unlikely.

No **** Sherlock. It was a "play on words" as you would say. How does it feel to have dose of your own venom? The awkward moment when the troll gets trolled.
Reply 51
Just over 3 weeks left then I will be starting my shopping (hopefully)
Reply 52
Original post by Spence_LJS
Try not to get cutlery with plastic handles... trust me, they rust and go all ugly. Stick to plain stainless steel - charity shops are the way forward!

I completely agree with this, I also try to avoid things with the embossed patterns on the handles, they tend to get nasty pretty quickly in my experience.

If you're not keen on the idea of buying second hand cutlery ASDA sell some pretty decent plain stainless steel cutlery quite cheaply (and they're often on some sort of rollback/BOGOF offer) so it might be worth having a gander there.

Speaking of ASDA, not sure if they do the rollbacks on a national or a store to store basis, but I managed to pick up a couple of packs of 20 Bold Liquitabs rolled back from £7.50 to £3.00 the other day.
Reply 53
I have **** loads of stuff, not cheap stuff either...chances of me having to buy another of anything is therefore minimal. Still using pans and stuff at home that my parents bought for uni :cool: I've been a bit extravagant in my kitchen stuff seeing as I actually like to cook/bake - plus I had to buy a toaster and a kettle. My purchase for today was a 50p corkscrew though :biggrin: I think I've actually got everything now though :smile:
I've skimmed over this thread but just in case no one's mentioned it, buy a portable hard drive. I got a 250GB one from Tesco relatively cheap, which holds all my music, work and article PDFs. Always good to have a back-up copy of your work (dropbox helps with this too, but free storage space on the free one is limited)
Original post by lara_ox
Hey guys ive decided to start my uni shopping as there is only 4 weeks left till results day so i should be able to return everything if i dont get into uni :frown: as most shops allow you upto 28 days to return stuff.

So just wondering what have you bought or are you planning to buy?
Has anyone found any good deals on kitchen utensils or maybe found some awesome (+cheap :tongue:)stuff to decorate their room with?

Ive been looking for a nice black duvet cover as i decided i want to decorate my room in purple and black but havent found anything i like yet.
Is anyone else already planning on how they want to design their room?

I found this cutlery set for on £3:
http://homeshopping.24studio.co.uk/christmas-book/modern-living/kitchen/electricals/3/16piece-cutlery-set-in-chrome-rack/10?wmpsorigin=search
I will be getting my plates and glasses from ikea as they do nice ones that are really cheap.

Definitely going to want one of these in my room. I'll have it a metre in front of the door so I can wipe it clean and troll people by beckoning from the other side :biggrin:
Reply 56
I'm looking for something like a shower caddy/tote to lug all my toiletries too and from the bathrooms, like this:

does anyone know if these even exist in the UK?? Think they may be an American thing but they look really handy with their little soap dish and stuff :redface:
Reply 57
Ahhh reading this is making me miss the excitment of getting my stuff!

There's always things you forget! I did all my food shopping, then realised I'd forgotten things like salt, spices, herbs etc, took me a while to get used to what I actually needed :tongue:
I haven't got that much stuff yet, but the sales are pretty handy at the moment. I got a towel "bale" from John Lewis for pretty cheap, but I think the price might have gone back up again now. What else...I got half price non-feather pillows from Debenhams, because my normal ones get feathers on everything and I don't feel like having to pluck them from my clothes all the time :tongue: I've bought quite a few tops in the sale as well, so I don't have to do the washing too often. Same with underwear.

By the way, it might be worth asking family members if they have any extra things they don't need. Obviously not stuff they use or anything, but my grandma's given me a lot of things like cutlery, glasses and tea towels that she was given but has never used. She's made my to-buy list shorter, anyway :smile:
Original post by lara_ox

Ive been looking for a nice black duvet cover as i decided i want to decorate my room in purple and black but havent found anything i like yet.

I've just been looking on the Next website, and they have some black duvet covers (I'm looking for black too). There's this one, which is plain, and this one which is a black paisley print. They're not amazing or anything, but I think they look quite nice. I really like the fancy Kylie Minogue ones on the Debenhams website haha, but they're really expensive :tongue: Anyway, that second link also has a black and white stripy pillowcase and fitted sheet set, which would make the first plain duvet cover more interesting. Just thought it was worth a mention :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending