The Student Room Group

I can't get a Career Development bank loan...alternatives?

Unfortunately I cannot do the course I want to do which is at the London School of Journalism because the school has pulled out of the Skills Funding Agency, and is no longer an approved course for me to apply for a CDL.

This is so unbelievably annoying I could cry; there is another journalism course (NCTJ, News Associates) which I would consider but considering how expensive these courses are, I think paying for the one I really wanted to do in the first instance is the best thing.

Has anyone been in a situation like this? Would anyone be able to suggest alternatives? Thanks in advance.
Reply 1
Maybe you can take a deferred entry and work for a year to help pay for the fees.:smile:

Original post by SpeciousCho
Unfortunately I cannot do the course I want to do which is at the London School of Journalism because the school has pulled out of the Skills Funding Agency, and is no longer an approved course for me to apply for a CDL.

This is so unbelievably annoying I could cry; there is another journalism course (NCTJ, News Associates) which I would consider but considering how expensive these courses are, I think paying for the one I really wanted to do in the first instance is the best thing.

Has anyone been in a situation like this? Would anyone be able to suggest alternatives? Thanks in advance.
Reply 2
Original post by SpeciousCho

I've got no personal experience with CDLs, but from what people have said here it seems that the various banks that offer them aren't terribly consistent in applying their criteria, so if you haven't yet checked them all, it might still be worth a try.
If that doesn't work, though, taking a year out to save up for the fees, as 786pk suggested, is probably the only realistic option. You probably won't be able to get a commercial bank loan without some form of security, and even if you did it would cost you an arm and a leg (the CDL is bad enough in that respect).
Hi OP the same thing happened with me with Manchester University! But I knew it was a mistake, my mum wouldn't help me pack because she was convinced Barclays would not agree to pay once I sent them confirmation I’ve registered there and when I got to the uni, they told me they received a letter of apology from the Skills Funding Agency for removing them. So I'd check something like this hasn't happened first. I know in science some employers will either pay for a masters or offer it at a vastly reduced amount to employees, so you could look into, like maybe an apprenticeship, maybe work for a while in your field and save up or get enough experience that you don't need a masters. But I don't know how it works in journalism.
(edited 11 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending