The Student Room Group

Sikh Temple Shootings Ignorance

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
I'm sick to my teeth when I hear that the terrorists were Muslims.
Those where not Muslims but criminals. Just because their faith was Islam doesn't mean that they where Muslims.
We don't mention the killer is white or black or pink but a 'killer' or Irish, BNP, Jewish terrorists. No
So people stop saying Muslims.

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Reply 21
Original post by localfox1000
Don't you find a bit sad how all the news broadcasts have been repeating things like "Sikhs are not Muslims. They're completely different" as if to say that attack on muslims is understandable, and dare I say, even acceptable.

Any one else felt like this?

I know exactly what you mean.

As a Sikh, it is very tempting for me,to say that 'Sikhs aren't Muslims so leave Sikhs alone' and tell everyone that Sikhism is completely different to Islam - but in a way, that makes it sound as if such an attack in a Mosque is more acceptable.

I think it's ridiculous how some news broadcasts are telling people how Islam is completely different to Sikhism while covering the Wisconsin shooting news. And what's really surprising is how little people are picking up on this.
Reply 22
How do u know? Watching too many films hey & you r crap? Bulls man.

Reply 23
Original post by Rarar
But the problem is, how many people are going to listen to them, let alone actually be informed? How many people are going to actually watch documentaries on Sikhism? That's the problem.

This was posted from The Student Room's Android App on my MZ604

This is, then, the people's fault for being ignorant and not doing any thinking on their own behalf
(edited 11 years ago)
Whether or not these, or any other, killings are religiously motivated could be considered relevant information.

It may be the causal factor, a contributing one, or unrelated. But it does add to the picture both the media and people watching/reading attempt to form about the perpetrators and victims.

As for the education/informing issue, it's not the media's job to teach people the reasons and causes behind something - though in an ideal world they would. They are profit-making companies who report on incidents and goings on. If they choose to offer background, great. And if that is impartial, even better.

But it's down to education systems and people's own curiosity to teach them about the world. That which I know about the religions of the world (bar Christianity, which was forced down our throats at a Church of England school, something which I fought against) I know because I have decided to learn.
Reply 25
Original post by Miraclefish

But it's down to education systems and people's own curiosity to teach them about the world. That which I know about the religions of the world I know because I have decided to learn.

If only other people would be so keen to open their eyes as you were/are....
Original post by Rarar
If only other people would be so keen to open their eyes as you were/are....

You can't function properly in the world without an understanding of others' lives.

I don't understand religion, so I do my best to understand religious people. I want an easy, happy life. It seems the easiest way.
Reply 27
The suspect thought they were Muslims not Sikhs... how ****ing stupid do you have to be ?:s-smilie:
Reply 28
Don't you find a bit sad how all the news broadcasts have been repeating things like "Sikhs are not Muslims. They're completely different" as if to say that attack on muslims is understandable, and dare I say, even acceptable.

Yes... I very much felt that this is the case, I am deeply saddened by the media's ill intentions.

Original post by Rarar

No, my issue is, are people REALLY that ignorant to confuse the two? Do people honestly believe that us Sikhs are 'the same' as Muslims? Are people THAT ignorant that they don't even step outside their own shell and realize that there are very significant differences between the two faiths? Is it a reflection of American society - or society as a whole?

Much of society where ever it may be is programmed to be ignorant and self protecting of there own identity. Peoples minds are often locked and usually fragile to the truth and there own feelings.

It is a reflection of society as a whole. Not just American society. More and more I feel that a bigger population of supremacy between races is emerging around the entire globe again. I just watched a documentary a few days ago about a group of Jewish nazi's in Israel who went around beating up immigrants and colored people. I mean wtf is that!

I was having a conversation with my grandma today about how all religions are really they same. People often put there religion before being one with what god feels about things here on Earth. A good question to ask any religious scholar is... "What do you think God thinks about there being so many different religions on earth" He is left with only two options... be subjective and ignorant or opens the mind to greater understanding of what God wants us to do. The final objective is to end all suffering, ill feelings and give all sentient things peace. Which requires MULTICULTURALISM!

Original post by Steevee
You act as if it's the mainstream media's job to educate. Why do people assume this?

Funny.... You ask any news broadcasting director what there job is and they will tell you it is to inform/educate the population of current news.

Whilst you argue that it's not there job and that it's a business, which isn't even a relevant point to what your arguing. They have a moral duty to inform people with precision. All news channels hire psychological and sociology top university graduates to evaluate all information that is broadcast live on TV.

Epic Fail! End Of.
Kom :cool:
Reply 29
Very nice debate, people. It's interesting to see other people's views on the matter. =D

Blame the political conservative mentality, especially in America. It thrives in misinformation and over-simplification. Brown people with turbans? All the same!

Yeah.
Reply 32
I find it a terrible act I mean there shouldn't be trouble between us and to those saying that it's said that they died because he thought they were Muslims but even if they were Muslims people would have still died we have to get together an eliminate problems like this. As niomoller said "

First they came for the communists,
and I didn't speak out because I wasn't a communist.

Then they came for the trade unionists,
and I didn't speak out because I wasn't a trade unionist.

Then they came for the Jews,
and I didn't speak out because I wasn't a Jew.

Then they came for me
and there was no one left to speak out for me."

We need to help each other out and the Sikh community has been strong in this for example in the London riots we saw reports of sikh standing outside a mosque protecting the people inside who were praying. This is a act of friendship and needs to be taken in by people all across the world it does not matter where we are from and what we believe in but we are not going to get better as a race until we resolve these problems between us.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 33
Original post by Komatic

Funny.... You ask any news broadcasting director what there job is and they will tell you it is to inform/educate the population of current news.

Whilst you argue that it's not there job and that it's a business, which isn't even a relevant point to what your arguing. They have a moral duty to inform people with precision. All news channels hire psychological and sociology top university graduates to evaluate all information that is broadcast live on TV.

Epic Fail! End Of.
Kom :cool:

Epic fail yourself sir.

Any News corp's job is to inform people of the news, the new facts as it were. Not to educate in general. They are there to inform you of the News, defined as '1.Newly received or noteworthy information, esp. about recent or important events.'

Not to educate in general about everything and anything. The moral duty to inform with precision does not extend to explanation of everything surrounding the story with no actual impact upon the story.
Original post by Dolly786
I'm sick to my teeth when I hear that the terrorists were Muslims.
Those where not Muslims but criminals. Just because their faith was Islam doesn't mean that they where Muslims.
We don't mention the killer is white or black or pink but a 'killer' or Irish, BNP, Jewish terrorists. No
So people stop saying Muslims.

This is silly. When someone commits a crime in the name of a particular ideology, then that is relevant to the story. And what does it even mean to say that "just because their faith was Islam doesn't mean that they where [sic] Muslims"? Someone whose faith is Islam is a Muslim. That's simply the definition.
Reply 35

Exactly. It's uncertain whether he even mistook the Sikhs for Muslims, but even if he did, it doesn't justify what he did. I don't even know why Muslims and Islam is even being brought up in the articles regarding this tragic event.
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by Rarar
Yes, yes, I know there's already a thread for this, I just felt the need to create a new thread about this issue.

Many of you will obviously know about the devastating shooting that happened in a Sikh Temple yesterday in Wisconsin. Now, rumours are abound that the killer had a 9/11 tattoo on him, making it seem as if he was out to kill Muslims, and not Sikhs.

No, my issue is, are people REALLY that ignorant to confuse the two? Do people honestly believe that us Sikhs are 'the same' as Muslims? Are people THAT ignorant that they don't even step outside their own shell and realize that there are very significant differences between the two faiths? Is it a reflection of American society - or society as a whole?

And it's not just the killer who was ignorant of other faiths. Many of the main American news companies were unsure about Sikhism, with many of them confused about it. For example, the fact that they are referring to the temple as a 'sikh temple' and not a 'gurdwara' is ignorance in itself. And whereas new companies like Sky News actually talk about Sikhism and it's heritage in their news, I fail to see an American company do so yet.

And the fact that the killer wanted to murder Muslims is also horrible. Not all Muslims are extremists; in fact, it is only a small minority that taint their reputation. And there's also extremists in EVERY faith and corner of humanity; so why just pick upon the Muslims for? I have a few Muslim friends, with one if them being a strict Muslim, and they are extremely nice and possibly the friendliest people I have ever met. Why punish innocent people because of their religion? History is repeating itself yet again, only this time it's Muslims who are facing the full force.

I'm sorry if these seemed extremely aggressive or opinionated or anything else very bad, it's just that I think ignorance is one of the worst things ever committed. The fact that almost 600 counts of attacks on Sikhs since 9/11 have occurred also saddens me - are we all that ignorant?

I give my condolonces to all those affected by the atrocious murders of innocent human beings.

An attack on any innocent person is bad, it doesn't matter if they're muslim or not.
Reply 37
Original post by Steevee
You act as if it's the mainstream media's job to educate. Why do people assume this?

And the fact that there has been unprovoked attacks on anyone because of 9/11 is sad, not just when it's Sikhs.

Actually it's both to educate and report. Media is an extremely powerful tool for conveying a message whether it's party political broadcast on tv, or a simple recipe for vegetable soup in the Food section of the Times.

The school system alone can't be used to "educate" people.

But anyways I don't think the media can be at all blamed in this situation. This was the work of one psychopath who had a history of links to neo-nazism/white supremacy. Anyone with half a brain-cell knows the difference between a sikh and a muslim etc. But clearly he was not a normal sane individual and even if he did know the difference I don't think he cared too much. To him they were not white and dressed differently, that was reason enough for him to shoot to kill.

Psychopaths can't be reasoned with so I don't think this is the media's fault at all.

Besides I don't recall any form of media asking US citizens to go out and shoot anyone that looks brown/muslim in rataliation for 9/11.
Reply 38
Original post by Rarar
Yes, yes, I know there's already a thread for this, I just felt the need to create a new thread about this issue.

Many of you will obviously know about the devastating shooting that happened in a Sikh Temple yesterday in Wisconsin. Now, rumours are abound that the killer had a 9/11 tattoo on him, making it seem as if he was out to kill Muslims, and not Sikhs.

And it's not just the killer who was ignorant of other faiths. Many of the main American news companies were unsure about Sikhism, with many of them confused about it. For example, the fact that they are referring to the temple as a 'sikh temple' and not a 'gurdwara' is ignorance in itself. And whereas new companies like Sky News actually talk about Sikhism and it's heritage in their news, I fail to see an American company do so yet.

And the fact that the killer wanted to murder Muslims is also horrible. Not all Muslims are extremists; in fact, it is only a small minority that taint their reputation. And there's also extremists in EVERY faith and corner of humanity; so why just pick upon the Muslims for? I have a few Muslim friends, with one if them being a strict Muslim, and they are extremely nice and possibly the friendliest people I have ever met. Why punish innocent people because of their religion? History is repeating itself yet again, only this time it's Muslims who are facing the full force.

I'm sorry if these seemed extremely aggressive or opinionated or anything else very bad, it's just that I think ignorance is one of the worst things ever committed. The fact that almost 600 counts of attacks on Sikhs since 9/11 have occurred also saddens me - are we all that ignorant?

I give my condolonces to all those affected by the atrocious murders of innocent human beings.

The word temple is used interchangably as a term for a place of worship although mainly used to identify those of religions from Asian/Asian Sub-continent. I agree it would have been better to have used the term Gurdwara but given that the article was report on the shooting and murder of innocent lives, I doubt that was the most important issue of the day.
Reply 39
The type of people who are drawn to the far right and the exact same people who are so ignorant that they can't differentiate between Islam or Sikhism, nor even explain any aspect of their faith. Some nutjob killed a Sikh after 9/11 wanting revenge, not even realising they are two completely different faiths and that even the vast majority of Muslims condemn the acts and teachings of groups such Al-Qaeda. It's very sad what happened in Wisconsin, and I really do hope that the community can rebuild themselves after this tragedy. Ignorance is to blame, let's hope that it can be overcome.

Quick Reply

Latest