You took 18 units of math and survived??? *bows down*

I died in just 12!

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Original post by akansha_sinha
You took 18 units of math and survived??? *bows down*

I died in just 12!

I never :h: sorry, I was winding TH up :tongue:

I'm in year eleven, I would do 18 if I could, but I'm from Cardiff with WJEC!! So only f.maths is available.
Reply 302
Original post by Fish On A Stick
Well...it won t be too long now before the first interviews are given out! Last year the first invites were given out on the 14 th Nov but in the email from admissions this year they said they were hoping to start interviewing mid Nov and the invites to interview would be given out 2 weeks before approx so literally it could be any time now in the next fortnight! Makes it all very real !!! :eek:

Not long now. :eek:

It's going to be so heartbreaking when people start getting their invites and I don't.

C'est la vie.
Reply 303
I was wondering if any current students knew whether Cardiff:

do student selected components?

have dissection?

and how the teaching is divided between lectures and small-group learning?

Thanks in advance :biggrin:
The UKCAT scores are not sent to the Universities until 5-7th of November. If they have marked the PS and done the scoring by then, there is a slight chance that they will start sending IV invites out by 15th Nov. I would say that the invites will start only after 25th Nov. All the best guys.
Reply 305
Original post by shaw95
I was wondering if any current students knew whether Cardiff:

do student selected components?

have dissection?

and how the teaching is divided between lectures and small-group learning?

Thanks in advance :biggrin:

At the moment, SSCs and full body dissection are huge parts of the preclinical course at Cardiff. Small-group learning doesn't happen very often, maybe one or two tutorials a month.

Please remember though the course at Cardiff is going to be very different from 2013 onwards, so look into that (Google: Cardiff C21 project).
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 306
Original post by Elwyn
At the moment, SSCs and full body dissection are huge parts of the preclinical course at Cardiff. Small-group learning doesn't happen very often, maybe one or two tutorials a month.

Please remember though the course at Cardiff is going to very different from 2013 onwards, so look into that (Google: Cardiff C21 project).

Thanks for the reply man! Repped!
Last year Cardiff offers were AAB. That seems low for a college that gets so much coverage on here as being a fab place to do a medical degree. Why is that.

Does an AAB offer also mean that that was the lowest grade that got offers?
Reply 308
Original post by hedgemonkey
Last year Cardiff offers were AAB. That seems low for a college that gets so much coverage on here as being a fab place to do a medical degree. Why is that.

To be honest, isn't that a good thing because we never know what's going to happen in our exams. Say we mess up one exam big time, at least Cardiff are good enough to still let us in. In terms of the uni itself, I think it's great and when applying for jobs later in life, I doubt anyone will ask what you offer was?

Btw whats your source for this information?

Reply 309
Original post by hedgemonkey

Original post by shaw95
To be honest, isn't that a good thing because we never know what's going to happen in our exams. Say we mess up one exam big time, at least Cardiff are good enough to still let us in. In terms of the uni itself, I think it's great and when applying for jobs later in life, I doubt anyone will ask what you offer was?

Btw whats your source for this information?

That information is wrong. Cardiff had AAB offers until 2010 entry, the past two cycles have been AAA. This is normal as most other UK medical schools changed their requirements to AAA at about the same time.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 310
Original post by Elwyn
That information is wrong. Cardiff had AAB offers until 2010 entry, the past two cycles have been AAA. This is normal as most other UK medical schools changed their requirements to AAA at about the same time.

I did think it seemed low. I always thought keele have the lowest one of A*AB
Reply 311
Applied for Cardiff, I really love the university and the new course there seems amazing!
6.5A* at GCSE (I know the .5 doesn't count, but I'm mentioning it because we had to do it in my school!!) and 3 A's.
AS - ABBB (B's were all 3 UMS from A's!! re-sitting modules in January)
Predicted AAA.
UKCAT - 625 average. Not the best I know, but Cardiff doesn't really look at it anyway as far as I know :smile:
Work experience - 1 week in GPs, 1 week in hospital, ongoing voluntary work at an EMI care home.
Do other things too like hockey, peer mentoring, school council, deputy head girl, sexual health mentor, a part of the Cardiff Widening Access scheme too.
I'm from what would be considered as an 'underprivileged' area too, so it has been a real struggle to get any sort of work experience - which is why mine is nothing compared to some people!

Really cannot wait to know if I have an interview or not! The suspense is unreal!
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 312
Original post by Kaylax3
X

Your application is almost identical to mine :pierre:

What's this widening acces scheme then? That would have come in handy to my application, living in the Rhondda and all.
Reply 313
Original post by Elwyn
Your application is almost identical to mine :pierre:

What's this widening acces scheme then? That would have come in handy to my application, living in the Rhondda and all.

I'm from the valleys (cue shock and sterotypical thoughts from that idiotic show that resembled the valleys as much as a hedgehog resembles a frog.) - about 10 minutes from merthyr :smile:
They send me emails about events in the university related to medicine. They informed me about the summer school, I watched a 3rd year communication workshop, open days, general information about the university etc. etc.
Nothing extraordinary in all honesty, but it did make university seem more accessable, I would have found these events too late probably without them keeping me informed.
Sorry about any spelling/grammar errors, my keyboard has a mind of its own! Trying to delete them as they happen, but I've probably missed a few!
Reply 314
Original post by Kaylax3
I'm from the valleys (cue shock and sterotypical thoughts from that idiotic show that resembled the valleys as much as a hedgehog resembles a frog.) - about 10 minutes from merthyr :smile:
They send me emails about events in the university related to medicine. They informed me about the summer school, I watched a 3rd year communication workshop, open days, general information about the university etc. etc.
Nothing extraordinary in all honesty, but it did make university seem more accessable, I would have found these events too late probably without them keeping me informed.
Sorry about any spelling/grammar errors, my keyboard has a mind of its own! Trying to delete them as they happen, but I've probably missed a few!

That sounds like a big help. Wish they had that when I applied. Your application seems to very strong so I'd be surprised if you didn't get an interview. I'm in second year at Cardiff so let me know if you got any questions and I'll do my best to help, good luck :smile:
Reply 315
Original post by Elwyn
That sounds like a big help. Wish they had that when I applied. Your application seems to very strong so I'd be surprised if you didn't get an interview. I'm in second year at Cardiff so let me know if you got any questions and I'll do my best to help, good luck :smile:

Thank you so much! I really hope I get an interview because I'm fairly confident that my enthusiasm will really shine through. I'm so determined to do this, and one way or another I'll make sure that I will - even if I have to do a medical sciences degree then do medicine post grad. I know how hard it can be (or I can empathise anyway!) but that doesn't compare to how amazing it all is! I've not met one person yet who doesn't love medicine at Cardiff!
Hopefully I'll bump into you as a first year when your in your third year :smile: best of luck with your studies, I'll pm you questions (that I'll probably have plenty of) if I get an interview! :smile:
Reply 316
Original post by Elwyn

Also, they don't seem to advertise that scheme very well. I only became aware of it after a phone call with Careers Wales, and after that it seemed like a fuss for them to put me on it (as my school wasn't one that they visited). But I got on it eventually :smile: I don't know what areas they visit, but I thought mine would be a priority as it is considerered to be so 'deprived'.
Reply 317
Original post by Kaylax3
Also, they don't seem to advertise that scheme very well. I only became aware of it after a phone call with Careers Wales, and after that it seemed like a fuss for them to put me on it (as my school wasn't one that they visited). But I got on it eventually :smile: I don't know what areas they visit, but I thought mine would be a priority as it is considerered to be so 'deprived'.

I'm sure all of the Rhondda would be classed as deprived, which is sad as anyone who lives there knows it's a lovely place to live.
Good luck getting an interview anyway. You should be fine, they love care home work and your academics are similar to mine (7A*s at GCSE and BBBB at AS). Feel free to PM me with any questions.
Reply 318
Anyone applying to Cardiff as a graduate hoping my pharmacy degree masters from QUB will help me with 3 A's at a level. Also when do cardiff start interviewing normally.
Reply 319
Original post by Fish On A Stick
In a recent information email they said they re hoping to begin interviewing mid Nov and were also hoping to give around 2 weeks notice.( last year they gave around a week s notice) so if they stick to that first invites could be out this week :eek::eek::eek::eek:

Yeah, that's what they've said. :eek:

Good luck to everyone, and I pray the academic score is 25/27 or lower.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending