The Student Room Group

How to reference an appendix (Harvard)?

I'm writing my first major report for the year and I need to have an appendix with images, charts, etc, but I have no clue how to use one. My university gave us a "Harvard Referencing Guide" but it doesn't cover the use of an appendix, and after much googling, I still really don't know.

From what I can tell so far:

Appendix goes after the "references" page
For the in-text reference I just put (Appendix 1) for image 1, (Appendix 2) for image 2, etc.
When adding images to the appendix it goes like this; Appendix 1: Image of something do something. [image]

But then what? Shall I just add a typical reference to the references page? Do I need to add any text to the actual image to say where I got it from? Usually when referencing I would put the rough source in brackets... Such as (author date). Does that need including for the appendix images too?

Any help would be appreciated!
What you have said is correct. Appendices go after the References section, and are titled "Appendix A", "Appendix B" etc. You might be able to use numbers instead if you wish, but I only see published reports with lettered appendices.

All you need to do in the actual appendices is insert the image/chart you are referring to in-text and cite it as "Appendix A shows that..." or whatever you need to do to make it understandable. Make sure you title it, to explain what it is, for example "Appendix A: A bar chart showing...". Don't put appendices in reports and expect them to be self-explanatory, you must cite them in the main body of your report and explain how they contribute.

If you created the images/charts yourself, you don't need to reference them in your References section, but if you got them from another source you should. Put a citation underneath the image/chart if the source is not yours.

For example, in one of my assignments I had to put a questionnaire I did not design in the Appendix section, and I cited the authors and the date underneath it so the reader knows it didn't come from me.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 2
Ahh okay, brill! After reading a bit more, I think I had pretty much worked out what was required, but this clears it up perfectly.

I've referenced the image as I usually would (with the name and date of the publication) for the in-text part, then done a complete reference in the references section. It does seem odd having the appendix after the references though!

I'm writing about material selection in jet engine turbine blades, so I wanted to provide a diagram to give a bit of context to the reader. This is going to be a long report done in a short holiday!
Reply 3
Hey, i'm also having trouble with appendices. if i have work in an appendix which is paraphrased and cited, if i refer to it in the main essay do i have to cite that again in the essay and put the appendix number? :s-smilie:

thanks
Reply 4
Please I need someone's help on my research project.
I took figures from ONS bulletin but I created my table using those figures, do I have to reference the table I created?

Please I need an answer.
Original post by Sylota
Please I need someone's help on my research project.
I took figures from ONS bulletin but I created my table using those figures, do I have to reference the table I created?

Please I need an answer.

Yes, you will need to cite where you got the information from so the reader knows you didn't collect it yourself and give credit to the people who did. You could put underneath the table something like "Figures taken from ONS Bulletin (2015)" and then add the reference to your reference list as you normally would with books, journals etc. that you've used.

Hope this helps!
Reply 6
Use the 'citemethis' website.
Okay... so I've got a question. I've done an interview and transcribed the whole thing and have been told to use the transcription of the interview as one of my appendices. The thing is, the transcript is 9 pages long and I need to reference specific points in it throughout my paper... does anyone know how I should go about doing this? :O Any help would be much appreciated!
Reply 8
Having a bit of trouble as well with appendices over here. This was very useful reading, and it gave me a more clear idea of how I should be thinking about my own appendices. So from what I understand I could have "Appendix A" for example, and then followed by various different figures and if I want to refer to those in my text I would say "Appendix A: figure 1 shows...". Well my appendices has got several images, so instead of putting all of them in the text I put them in the appendix and refer to them as they are not very important and they take a lot of space in the report as they are results from questionnaires. Am I following the right approach to the problem? Do I really have to say "Appendix A" even if it is the only appendix I have or can I just have "Appendix"?
Reply 9
Hey, would any of you know how to include my appendix into the text when the appendix is a job discription or person spec which needs to be numbered... I've got 1500 words no not many and tons of information to rely at the moment I've done it like this (appendix 1:3,4,7,9 2:1,3,4,6 4:1,5,6) which points them to the parts that is relevant to what I'm taking about... seem really long but not sure if it's Harvard referencing quality!!

Thanks for any advice about this 😃