The Student Room Group

Nuffield Research Placement

I was just wondering how long it took people to receive a reply after sending off the application. I had to contact my co-ordinator a couple of times previously to try and sort things out, but it's been about 6 weeks since my school sent through the forms and I've had no word back yet. I'm not sure whether or not this is a normal amount of time or whether I should just send another email. Although I might do that anyway.

Scroll to see replies

Heya,

I am currently in the same situation and will be contacting my coordinator in another 2 weeks if I still haven't heard anything! I can't find any threads telling us the standard amount of time before we hear from them :/
Reply 2
i heard in july 2 weeks before summer & then turned it down
Reply 3
Original post by Welbeck help
Heya,

I am currently in the same situation and will be contacting my coordinator in another 2 weeks if I still haven't heard anything! I can't find any threads telling us the standard amount of time before we hear from them :/

In a weird way, it's nice to know that there's somebody in a similar situation. I think I'm giving him 'til Friday, not that he knows. :colone:

Original post by MedMed12
i heard in july 2 weeks before summer & then turned it down

Really? I hope they don't do that to me, I have to know if I need to book some time off work and there is barely a cat in hell's chance that I'll get it if I don't find out soon-ish. :/
Reply 4
Anyone know anything yet?
Reply 5
Original post by SNR
In a weird way, it's nice to know that there's somebody in a similar situation. I think I'm giving him 'til Friday, not that he knows. :colone:

Really? I hope they don't do that to me, I have to know if I need to book some time off work and there is barely a cat in hell's chance that I'll get it if I don't find out soon-ish. :/

I got an email today telling me that we were meant to find out today, but there have been a few problems so we won't find out till at least the end of the week or if not then next week.
Reply 6

Original post by Welbeck help
x

Original post by Parente
x

Hey guys, I did this last year. Absolutely incredible experience and looks so good on your CV. If you have any questions about anything PM or quote me! With regards to when you here back it is generally May/June/July :smile:
Original post by SNR

Yeah, I'm probably going to do the same :P But I haven't received any emails at all. Wondering if I should be worried :s-smilie:
Reply 8
I received a confirmation e-mail around two weeks ago saying they'd received my application. Today I found out through e-mail that I was successful, so I'm absolutely over the moon. Sounds like they're getting the e-mails out now - my friend also heard today that she's been successful too. Worth keeping an eye on them today and tomorrow if you haven't already heard. Good luck to you!

Original post by ninuzu
Hey guys, I did this last year. Absolutely incredible experience and looks so good on your CV. If you have any questions about anything PM or quote me! With regards to when you here back it is generally May/June/July :smile:

Excellent! I'm so excited, I was bouncing off the walls when I found out I was in!
I applied for this too but I never got a confirmation email? is this normal or has something gone wrong? ( i applied like 2/3 weeks ago if that helps?)
Reply 10
Original post by Andaxay
I received a confirmation e-mail around two weeks ago saying they'd received my application. Today I found out through e-mail that I was successful, so I'm absolutely over the moon. Sounds like they're getting the e-mails out now - my friend also heard today that she's been successful too. Worth keeping an eye on them today and tomorrow if you haven't already heard. Good luck to you!

Excellent! I'm so excited, I was bouncing off the walls when I found out I was in!

Congratulations! What subject is your placement? Mine last year was to identify local group dwarf galaxies at the institute of astronomy, Cambridge.

Original post by ed-sheerans-cat
I applied for this too but I never got a confirmation email? is this normal or has something gone wrong? ( i applied like 2/3 weeks ago if that helps?)

It depends on the coordinators for your region. Mine were absolute ar**s (south east). Some coordinators are well organised, others not. It may just be that your coordinators don't send confirmation emails. I wouldn't worry :smile:
Original post by ninuzu
Congratulations! What subject is your placement? Mine last year was to identify local group dwarf galaxies at the institute of astronomy, Cambridge.

It depends on the coordinators for your region. Mine were absolute ar**s (south east). Some coordinators are well organised, others not. It may just be that your coordinators don't send confirmation emails. I wouldn't worry :smile:

oo thank you, you've put my mind at rest now. hopefully my coordinator is just lazy and it hasn't got lost in the post :tongue:
Reply 12
Original post by ninuzu

Thanks! Ooh, yours sounds like it was brilliant, did you enjoy it? I've not had many details through about mine yet but it'll be biology at the University of Manchester, something to do with brain inflammation apparently, I can't wait.
Reply 13
Original post by Andaxay
Thanks! Ooh, yours sounds like it was brilliant, did you enjoy it? I've not had many details through about mine yet but it'll be biology at the University of Manchester, something to do with brain inflammation apparently, I can't wait.

Honestly, it was absolutely fantastic. Don't worry also if it seems like you have no idea what's going on when you arrive. I remember me arriving and my project had A LOT of computer programming and I had never done any of that but it was all good. Everyone I worked with either had a PhD or was working on one, so at first it seemed intimidating, but after a couple of days I realised that actually, these are the perfect people to help me out. Also, I'm applying for a year in industry in my gap year, and in interviews it stands way above anything else you've done, much better than top grades so it's totally worth it.
I know a couple who did biology actually, although I think it was genetics that they did.
Reply 14
I got my confirmation email today! But I have NO CLUE on what I'll be doing and it says that I might not know until around June/July!
Have not received a confirmation email. Think I've not been chosen :"(

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Reply 16
Original post by ninuzu
With regards to when you here back it is generally May/June/July :smile:

Original post by ninuzu
Mine last year was to identify local group dwarf galaxies at the institute of astronomy, Cambridge. It depends on the coordinators for your region. Mine were absolute ar**s (south east). Some coordinators are well organised, others not. It may just be that your coordinators don't send confirmation emails. I wouldn't worry :smile:

Ahh, that's reassuring, although he has yet to go back to me ... which is not so ... :/ To be honest I don't have much faith in anything run by us Yorkshire folk.

Stone me, that sounds ridiculously brilliant. :albertein:

Original post by Andaxay

Luck-y.
Reply 17
Original post by ninuzu

Hiya! I was just wondering what the interview process is like? Is it really tough? I'm so nervous :'(

Glad you had such a great time!! :biggrin:
Reply 18
Original post by Elexene
Hiya! I was just wondering what the interview process is like? Is it really tough? I'm so nervous :'(

Glad you had such a great time!! :biggrin:

No problem :biggrin: It was a year ago, so I may not remember specific details but the sort of things they asked were:
- Have you ever done anything like this before?
- Is this something that you would like to do as a career after university?
- What do you know about what research we do here?
- Why astronomy and physics?
- What made you apply for the Nuffield Bursary?
- How will you be able to commute every day?
- Is there a particular field you would like to do your project on?

Hope this helps! Quote me or PM me if you have any other questions! :smile:
Reply 19
Original post by ninuzu
No problem :biggrin: It was a year ago, so I may not remember specific details but the sort of things they asked were:
- Have you ever done anything like this before?
- Is this something that you would like to do as a career after university?
- What do you know about what research we do here?
- Why astronomy and physics?
- What made you apply for the Nuffield Bursary?
- How will you be able to commute every day?
- Is there a particular field you would like to do your project on?

Hope this helps! Quote me or PM me if you have any other questions! :smile:

Awwh wow! Awesome! Thanks for helping me out!
You've really calmed my nerves right down haha :biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest