The Student Room Group

Which A Levels for Product Design ?!!?!!

Ok, I am currently in a very difficult position! I am very keen to study product design at uni and I am at the stage of choosing my A levels in 6th form. So I have done research into uni requirements and in general I have found what they're looking for is an art/design technology and physics/maths a level.

Basically, I have been looking forward to studing A level DT for a long time and I have recently discovered the only school that teaches it in my town cannot take me on (long story, because of priorities/oversubscription)!!! So my ideal choices were going to be: DT, physics, psychology and english language.

What my problem is, is that as an alternative to DT, I know I can take art. However, I dropped this at GCSE because I despise it and I hate the subject. So whilst I am constantly on the school's back about reconsidering me for DT (because I genuinely love the subject!!), I wanted to know: is an art A level better than a DT A level (for product design?) I guess if worst comes to worst and there is no way I can do DT, I could bear 2 years of a suicidial art course. Because to me, I see an art A level for product design like training to be a nurse but applying to be a doctor. (I need to decide this very very very soon as I am nearing deadlines!!!!!!)
It sounds as if you might be looking for a reason/motivation in case you do 'have' to take Art. Kind of like 'Okay, if Art is better than DT it'll boost my application and so I will stick through it'.
I've come to this assumption because whether or not it is 'better' seems to be irrelevant - you seem to be saying that it's highly unlikely you'll be able to do DT, which is what you really want to do, but will end up doing Art. The wording suggests that you don't have much of a choice, and so i'm confused as to what the purpose of knowing which is better would be.

they're probably both on par with each other - though if you want to be picky Art may be seen as more respected.

You sound really passionate about wanting to study DT - I don't know if you've done this already but perhaps you could convey this in a email to the college you wish to attend with this course....and also check at the begining of the year if there are suddenly place from drop outs etc?

Sometimes it can be hard work getting where we want to be, whether it be attending uni, or graduating by getting credits in a module we don't like. It seems like Art may be the module you wont like, but by doing it you'll be one step closer to graduation in a subject that you do love. Think of it as character building?

If you do end up studying Art though, be sure to commit to it and do your best. Getting a bad grade wont bode well.
Reply 2
As much as I didn't want to admit it you have got me. I am trying to cling onto hope here basically. I have done GCSE DT and it's the only subject I have genuinely enjoyed, I've even enjoyed the stress and pressure in a twisted way.
Basically the point of this is to see whether DT is regarded more highly than art and, if so, then I would know to push harder at the 6th form; because yes, there probably is a small chance I'll get in, but I'm sure making a continued fuss may just see me through. Yet if it's the other way round then I can give up my fight and just accept that I'll need to take art.
Original post by sweetlemons
As much as I didn't want to admit it you have got me. I am trying to cling onto hope here basically. I have done GCSE DT and it's the only subject I have genuinely enjoyed, I've even enjoyed the stress and pressure in a twisted way.
Basically the point of this is to see whether DT is regarded more highly than art and, if so, then I would know to push harder at the 6th form; because yes, there probably is a small chance I'll get in, but I'm sure making a continued fuss may just see me through. Yet if it's the other way round then I can give up my fight and just accept that I'll need to take art.

Do you know what exam board the subjects at the colleges are with? You could check the specifications and compare that against universities modules in DT you are looking at. Perhaps you could make a case that way - DT would be more relevant and set you in greater stead for the University of your choice.

As I mentioned, the two subjects don't have a great deal of difference and if you really are, as you appear to be, passionate about DT then there is no harm in pushing. Keep explaining that you can't do DT anywhere else.

I hope I didn't take the sense of hope you had away, that was not my intention. There is still hope. Even if it isn't regarded as highly Art - this is a subject you love and want to spend two years (excluding University) studying (being happy) versus studying a subject you dislike for two years. This is the main point I wanted to get across.
DT is very similar to Product Design.
I take Product Design atm and basically you design and make a product but it is in a lot more depth than at gcse.
Quick question. What subjects did you take in the end? I’m considering changing career into product design, and have a strong art background. Is physics necessary, or can I take maths instead? Let’s say would art, maths and English be relevant

Quick Reply

Latest