The Student Room Group
Bangor University
Bangor University
Visit website

Current Bangor Linguistics Students

Hi guys, I'm applying for English Language and Linguistics at Bangor for 2012 and I was wondering what current students thought of the course and Bangor as a university? I love Bangor but my mum has her reservations because of where the uni is in the league tables and she's worried about how much Bangor spends on students, apparently its only a 4 out of 10. I keep telling her that her interpretation shouldn't be based on the league tables alone but now I have doubts. So I need feedback please!!
Reply 1
Hi there!

I'm a current third-year in linguistics and I would say rest assured if you like the place there's nothing to be worried about. In the past years it is true that the University was heading away from students and focusing only on money etc., wanting to close small departments, cut student services etc etc. But that has changed since, there is a new Vice Chancellor who really seems to be doing a much better, and more student focused, job. A lot of things have improved drastically just over the last year (especially for the Linguistics department) and there are better things to come yet. So don't worry about that 4/10, I don't think that reflects things as they currently are. Also you have to look at the departments you are going to, and our Linguistics department, at least from a student perspective, is really a good place to study. From this year on there are three new permanent staff as well, so I guess the teaching will get even better. They focus a lot on Cognitive Linguistics, which is maybe not completely the traditional thing you get at most other uni's in the UK, but seen by many as the way forward. So for the course I would say it's a thumbs up from me, especially because the lecturers are really interested and helpful too.

I hope that addresses your basic concerns. If you have any more questions, just ask and I will try to answer best I can.
Bangor University
Bangor University
Visit website
Reply 2
Original post by MagLatus
Hi there!

I'm a current third-year in linguistics and I would say rest assured if you like the place there's nothing to be worried about. In the past years it is true that the University was heading away from students and focusing only on money etc., wanting to close small departments, cut student services etc etc. But that has changed since, there is a new Vice Chancellor who really seems to be doing a much better, and more student focused, job. A lot of things have improved drastically just over the last year (especially for the Linguistics department) and there are better things to come yet. So don't worry about that 4/10, I don't think that reflects things as they currently are. Also you have to look at the departments you are going to, and our Linguistics department, at least from a student perspective, is really a good place to study. From this year on there are three new permanent staff as well, so I guess the teaching will get even better. They focus a lot on Cognitive Linguistics, which is maybe not completely the traditional thing you get at most other uni's in the UK, but seen by many as the way forward. So for the course I would say it's a thumbs up from me, especially because the lecturers are really interested and helpful too.

I hope that addresses your basic concerns. If you have any more questions, just ask and I will try to answer best I can.

Thank you so much, I assume you have no regrets then and I suppose it’s a lucky draw if you have good or bad teachers. I just have a couple more questions - if that's ok?
Is the course assessed by coursework, exam or both?
How many hours a week do you spend in lectures, tutorials and seminars? Do you feel there should be more or less teaching time?
Are there credible resources and opportunities to study Forensic Linguistics, I know there is a module in it but would I be able to study it in my third year?
Sorry about this, but it’s a great certainty that I'm coming to Bangor next year, so I'm definitely taking advantage of your expertise. :biggrin:
(edited 12 years ago)

Quick Reply