The Student Room Group

The Oxford 2012 Results Day Discussion Thread

Scroll to see replies

Original post by ChrisJN1994
I got A*AA for Engineering at Hertford :biggrin::biggrin:! so happy, anyone else got Hertford :smile:?

I've got an offer for Physics
Reply 101
Original post by such_a_lady
Danke!!! So erfreut :biggrin:

I'll be around and willing to help, always ask :biggrin:

Bitte :h: You deserve it, you're so passionate about the subject! :biggrin:
Reply 102
Congrats everyone!
Original post by Cassius
Yes Jesus! For English though :smile: I didn't apply there, and when I went for my interview it was dark so I couldn't really have a look at the college. Can anyone tell me what it's like?

Well everyone at interviews who had applied for languages (they were the people who I mainly spoke to) was really nice and friendly. I didn't really talk to anyone else, but they seemed nice enough!

The JCR was quite big, the chairs were really comfy, there was lots to do and there was a hatch serving snacks and drinks. The actual old-fashioned part of the college is really pretty and the more modern bit at the back is also very nice. I didn't go in the library, but from what I saw it looked quite big and like a nice place to work in.

My room was huge, but it was apparently one of the newer ones. The food was better than I expected and quite varied, really. We had a slight issue with the benches in the dining hall (quite slippery/wobbly) but that's minor, really. Oh, and the current students were really approachable. :smile:

That's just what I experienced during the three days of interviews, so not really based on much. But I think it'll be a great few years of studying there.

How did you find the English interview at Jesus by the way? Everyone who was staying there who had one apparently cried afterwards because they found it so stressful/intimidating....
Original post by such_a_lady
Also, this thread is going to be beast: Year Twelves will stalk us and then we'll end up stalking them :lol:

:ninja: Clearly I'm not already doing that... at least I have Etoile to keep me company! Anyway, now I have been found out - congrats to everyone :grin:

Also special congrats to you guys who I may have seen around before and been rooting for: :colondollar:

Original post by Niki_girl
x

Original post by fluteflute
x

Original post by KingMessi
x

la-dauphine
x
Is there a human sciences FB group anywhere? :confused:
Reply 106
Congratulations to all! Especially those going to st peter's :d
I am so happy: I got an offer to read PPE at Balliol College!
Original post by fudgesundae
I thought when I got an email that I wouldn't believe it until the letter came lol

My letter said february

:erm: That's ages....
Reply 109
Original post by TheatreLovely
Well everyone at interviews who had applied for languages (they were the people who I mainly spoke to) was really nice and friendly. I didn't really talk to anyone else, but they seemed nice enough!

The JCR was quite big, the chairs were really comfy, there was lots to do and there was a hatch serving snacks and drinks. The actual old-fashioned part of the college is really pretty and the more modern bit at the back is also very nice. I didn't go in the library, but from what I saw it looked quite big and like a nice place to work in.

My room was huge, but it was apparently one of the newer ones. The food was better than I expected and quite varied, really. We had a slight issue with the benches in the dining hall (quite slippery/wobbly) but that's minor, really. Oh, and the current students were really approachable. :smile:

That's just what I experienced during the three days of interviews, so not really based on much. But I think it'll be a great few years of studying there.

How did you find the English interview at Jesus by the way? Everyone who was staying there who had one apparently cried afterwards because they found it so stressful/intimidating....

Ah okay well it sounds lovely! I’ll have to go and have a look around when I have the time, or go to one of those activity days they put on for offer holders (any Jesus people going to one of them?)

The English interview I had was absolutely appalling. Even analysing it now that I've got a place, I can't see a single reason why they would have picked me based on my interview! There were four tutors, and me, which was very intimidating, and I hadn't read a single text that they asked me about (this wasn’t even them being mean - it was all texts I either said I’d read or was studying... Just hadn’t read them... Interview faux pas right there). They asked me to analyse a poem, but didn’t give me the poem; I was expected to remember it off the top of my head. All in all I felt it had gone pretty awfully, and *still* can’t see why they want me!

How were your language interviews?
Original post by sharkin7765
Is there a facebook group for Hertford or Physics offer holders?

Original post by ChrisJN1994
I'll join if someone makes one :smile: ... hint :3

Hertford Freshers unite! :smile:

https://www.facebook.com/groups/207390249344623/
Anyone else got an offer from Queen's, or for History and English?

Congratulations to everyone with an offer, and to those who were rejected, don't worry - you're every bit as capable as those who got offers, I'm sure :smile:
Does anyone know how nice the Lincoln JCR is? I got my offer there a few days back - and I must say I'm bloody pleased - but it was my second college and I never got much of a chance to look around. Also, what are the rooms like?
Original post by officeface
Does anyone know how nice the Lincoln JCR is? I got my offer there a few days back - and I must say I'm bloody pleased - but it was my second college and I never got much of a chance to look around. Also, what are the rooms like?

I wandered around with Olly. The JCR was really warm, quite small + friendly. And I remember a giant clock for some reason...
The room I went in was fairly large and was over the road from the main college, and loads of freshers live in it apparantly. It was nice, but a bit cold :frown:
Original post by Constancel

I thought that my PAT had gone awefully - was surprised to get an interview. The actual interviw was bearable but one of the questions i had to be led through step by step - it was quite embaracing :s-smilie:

Same! My PAT was a catastrophe, don't know how I got a place. Which college are you at?
Original post by Cassius
Ah okay well it sounds lovely! I’ll have to go and have a look around when I have the time, or go to one of those activity days they put on for offer holders (any Jesus people going to one of them?)

The English interview I had was absolutely appalling. Even analysing it now that I've got a place, I can't see a single reason why they would have picked me based on my interview! There were four tutors, and me, which was very intimidating, and I hadn't read a single text that they asked me about (this wasn’t even them being mean - it was all texts I either said I’d read or was studying... Just hadn’t read them... Interview faux pas right there). They asked me to analyse a poem, but didn’t give me the poem; I was expected to remember it off the top of my head. All in all I felt it had gone pretty awfully, and *still* can’t see why they want me!

How were your language interviews?

That sounds quite scary...

Well I only had one interview which was combined for French and German. The tutors were really nice (there was even a plate of biscuits outside the room for us to eat while we were waiting) and most of the time was spent analysing two texts that I was given half an hour beforehand. One was an extract from a novel in English and the other was a newspaper article in German. They just asked me what I thought, then challenged what I said, asked a few grammar questions, etc. They didn't really ask me about anything in my personal statement or from my written work, the text discussion was just followed by a couple of questions in each language.

At the time I thought it went alright but I kept thinking of amazing things I could have said. I was terrified of saying something really stupid without thinking, which is a habit of mine, but I couldn't really tell how it went.

I will probably go to one of the weekend things but the first one I can't make because I'm in France, so I hope the languages one isn't that weekend.
All offer holders for medicine unite! https://www.facebook.com/groups/292994347403247/
And is anyone here going to Brasenose? :smile:
Reply 117
Original post by TheatreLovely
That sounds quite scary...

Well I only had one interview which was combined for French and German. The tutors were really nice (there was even a plate of biscuits outside the room for us to eat while we were waiting) and most of the time was spent analysing two texts that I was given half an hour beforehand. One was an extract from a novel in English and the other was a newspaper article in German. They just asked me what I thought, then challenged what I said, asked a few grammar questions, etc. They didn't really ask me about anything in my personal statement or from my written work, the text discussion was just followed by a couple of questions in each language.

At the time I thought it went alright but I kept thinking of amazing things I could have said. I was terrified of saying something really stupid without thinking, which is a habit of mine, but I couldn't really tell how it went.

I will probably go to one of the weekend things but the first one I can't make because I'm in France, so I hope the languages one isn't that weekend.

Yours sounds so much nicer than mine! I got an alright poem to analyse, it was just the general discussion afterwards where they picked me to pieces. Still, we must have done something right :smile:

I haven't checked the dates yet but (provided I'm not the only one) will go to one of the weekends. Also is there a Jesus College Facebook Group? All the other colleges seem to have them, but I can't find many other Jesubites :frown:
Original post by KingMessi
:erm: That's ages....

I emailed them, they said late January at Magd :frown:
Original post by Cassius
Yours sounds so much nicer than mine! I got an alright poem to analyse, it was just the general discussion afterwards where they picked me to pieces. Still, we must have done something right :smile:

I haven't checked the dates yet but (provided I'm not the only one) will go to one of the weekends. Also is there a Jesus College Facebook Group? All the other colleges seem to have them, but I can't find many other Jesubites :frown:

I can't find one either but I have no idea how to start one. And I don't think you would be the only person out of all the offer holders who turned up to one of the weekends. :tongue:

Quick Reply