The Student Room Group

Unfair Dismissal Advice?

Hello everyone, let me just go through my problem and hopefully you can give me advice.

I was working for a huge international company as a minimum wage employee for a year and a half, I handed in a computer written letter of resignation in January of 2012. Around a month later, having heard nothing from them and not having worked since then I received a letter from my manager stating that although they had received my letter of resignation they needed it to be hand-written and not printed and it had to be sent into them as soon as possible. The same day I wrote a hand-written letter and posted it that same day.

This morning I've received a letter saying that they had heard nothing from me (despite me having posted them a letter) and that as of today's date I had been summary dismissed. I phoned the branch I was employed at and they tried to make it sound like it was normal termination of employment, despite the fact it said I had been dismissed on the letter. So I rung head-office who told me that they can't really do anything and I should sort it out with my old manager.

No-one seems to be helping me, so can anyone here provide some advice for me?

Thanks
Reply 1
Right, when you say "I handed in a computer written letter of resignation" was it a typed and printed letter or a email?

What did your letter say?

Who did you hand it to?

How much notice did you give and did you work through your notice?

Your letter doesn't need to be hand written, legally the only thing that doesn't count as handing in resignation is a verbal resignation, it needs to be in writing (any form) and adhere to the terms and conditions of your contract (giving the correct notice)

You need to answer my above questions before anyone can answer your question. Maybe paste the letter here so people can look at it.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending