The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by dgeorge
Awesome batting by Rajasthan, especially bu Rahane, which was an absolute gem of an innings. Shame he got out before his century, I was really hoping he'd get it.

Great all round performance by Kevon Cooper

Kevon Cooper was involved of the 7 wickets out of 9 wickets that fell(4 off his own bolwing,2 catches, and 1 runout).The first ball he faced smashed for 6. Looks like a good pick by Rajshastan. Does he play first class cricket in West Indies?
Original post by dgeorge
I'm presently here (in the Caribbean) so my eyes will be glued come around 10 tomorrow.

I wouldn't hesitate to admit that Australia is easily the better side, but I think we've got a very good shot to at least tie the series, based on the ODI performances. I think this is probably the weakest Australian side to visit the WI in a couple of decades, and I would not be all that shocked if WI manage to actually get an upset and win the series.

However, as it stands I have Australia taking it 2-1, or 1-0, for now

I hope West Indies can play well, after watching them play well in India i definitely believe they have the talent to challenge Australia but not sure about beating them. A lot will depend on Darren Bravo.
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by razmazterz
Kevon Cooper was involved of the 7 wickets out of 9 wickets that fell(4 off his own bolwing,2 catches, and 1 runout).The first ball he faced smashed for 6. Looks like a good pick by Rajshastan. Does he play first class cricket in West Indies?

Yes, he plays for Trinidad in the regional competition. He's a very handy allrounder, and was pretty important in Trinidad's Champions League team
Number1

:cool:
Original post by Vazzyb
Number1

:cool:

Well England have to maintain in a tough upcoming series against South Africa(July) and then back in subcontinent against India. Great 8 months of cricket.
I reckon SA might have the slight edge in the series. For me the real test will be series against India, tough oppisiton to beat (in home conditions).
Well England have to maintain in a tough upcoming series against South Africa(July) and then back in subcontinent against India. Great 8 months of cricket.
I reckon SA might have the slight edge in the series. For me the real test will be series against India, tough oppisiton to beat (in home conditions).

Yeah the ENG vs SA will be a close series. I think England will edge it because their bowling attack is superb under home conditions and their batting is well suited too. Their record at home is formidable.

India I think will be much tougher. I don't think they'll win the series and I actually think they will be lucky to draw it. Its a tough place to tour and we can see that England are crap in the sub-continent. If it takes you 4 test matches to figure out the conditions...you're going to lose 4-0!
Original post by shyamshah
I hope West Indies can play well, after watching them play well in India i definitely believe they have the talent to challenge Australia but not sure about beating them. A lot will depend on Darren Bravo.

Gonna have to disagree. I think we have other batting options - particularly someone like Chanderpaul, who can anchor the batting. Right now, Bravo's not really in form
Original post by Vazzyb
Yeah the ENG vs SA will be a close series. I think England will edge it because their bowling attack is superb under home conditions and their batting is well suited too. Their record at home is formidable.

India I think will be much tougher. I don't think they'll win the series and I actually think they will be lucky to draw it. Its a tough place to tour and we can see that England are crap in the sub-continent. If it takes you 4 test matches to figure out the conditions...you're going to lose 4-0!

You following WI-Australia test match? Till now WI have been impressive with their batting, but it too soon to speak another 4 days and half of cricket left. You have WI series too. If WI can get it together as team , I think they can threaten England.
No I think England finally have found a formula to play in subcontinetal track after 4 tests losses they seem to be a strong batting unit(when they get going). Its been a while to see the top 4 getting 50+ scores. I think crucial part of that test match was Swann's second last over on fourth's day play.But great to see England being responsive(after 4 losses). Who knows they might suprise India.

I dont think dropping Monty was a good descision. When they tour India, they will have to find a spinner other than Swann.

As for the Indian team I want to see some changes by bringing some youngster's in such as Rohit Sharma(look promising) and Chetweshar Pujara! It will be intresting which spinners they take against England:hmmmm: because Ashwin looks lethal(in home conditions) but Harbhajan has experience:confused:
(edited 12 years ago)
You following WI-Australia test match? Till now WI have been impressive with their batting, but it too soon to speak another 4 days and half of cricket left. You have WI series too. If WI can get it together as team , I think they can threaten England.
No I think England finally have found a formula to play in subcontinetal track after 4 tests losses they seem to be a strong batting unit(when they get going). Its been a while to see the top 4 getting 50+ scores. I think crucial part of that test match was Swann's second last over on fourth's day play.But great to see England being responsive(after 4 losses). Who knows they might suprise India.

I dont think dropping Monty was a good descision. When they tour India, they will have to find a spinner other than Swann.

As for the Indian team I want to see some changes by bringing some youngster's in such as Rohit Sharma(look promising) and Chetweshar Pujara! It will be intresting which spinners they take against England:hmmmm: because Ashwin looks lethal(in home conditions) but Harbhajan has experience:confused:

Bhaji is dead lol - completely useless.
Original post by dgeorge
Gonna have to disagree. I think we have other batting options - particularly someone like Chanderpaul, who can anchor the batting. Right now, Bravo's not really in form

You seem to know a lot about WI cricket.
One question-Why isnt Chris Gayle picked?
I know they had problems but I thought the boards sent an invitation a month back.
WI needs Gayle! I really want to see Gayle with the national side!
Original post by Vazzyb
Bhaji is dead lol - completely useless.

I wouldnt say dead as yet, cant sign him off . Its to fast- he's got 400 odd test wickets for a reason. Will be nice to see him fight back. You never know with a weakish England batting side he might redeem himself:L

Comparing the two lineups of the SA/Eng:

1) Strauss vs Graeme Smith - Smith is certainly the better batsman but Strauss is the better captain. I'd edge for Smith
2) Cook vs Peterson - Cook
3) Trott vs Amla - Tough call, but Trott edges it in tests
4) Pietersen vs de Villiers - Again tough call, but if Pietersen keeps his current form then Pietersen
5) Bell vs Rudolph - Probably Bell. He's struggled in Asia, but he's still a class act at home. Rudolph is a good batsmen but he hasn't really produced the goods for SA yet.
6) Kallis vs Patel/6th batsman/5th bowler - Kallis, no question.
7) Prior vs Boucher - Prior
8) Steyn vs Anderson - Difficult. Steyn has the record but not the form and Anderson has the conditions to suit his bowling and the form. I guess I'd edge with Steyn
9) Broad vs Philander - Again difficult. Philander has had a brilliant debut, but they've been against a self-destructing Aus lineup, NZ and SL in SA. Broad gets it for me
10) Morkel vs Finn/Bresnan - In English conditions, definately the English bowler.
11) Tahir vs Swann - Swann

By my reckoning that's 8-3 to England although many of the comparisons are tight. The only obvious areas where SA beat England are the Number 1 batsman and the main pace bowler whereas England have the better keeper, spinner and backup bowlers.
You seem to know a lot about WI cricket.
One question-Why isnt Chris Gayle picked?
I know they had problems but I thought the boards sent an invitation a month back.
WI needs Gayle! I really want to see Gayle with the national side!

I'm West Indian

:smile:

Not to mention I have had the great pleasure of having spoken to several cricketing legends in preparation for a debate I had in secondary school

Chris Gayle wasn't picked because he had to iron out some issues with the Board. This has now been rectified.

Personally, despite him being a fantastic player, I don't seem him adding much to the team. He's been on the team for 10 years while the West Indies turned in their worst performances. Not to mention the fact that he has been a disruptive force in the team. If he doesn't play for the WI again, I won't be sorry
Original post by Captain Crash

1) Strauss vs Graeme Smith - Smith is certainly the better batsman but Strauss is the better captain. I'd edge for Smith
4) Pietersen vs de Villiers - Again tough call, but if Pietersen keeps his current form then Pietersen
5) Bell vs Rudolph - Probably Bell. He's struggled in Asia, but he's still a class act at home. Rudolph is a good batsmen but he hasn't really produced the goods for SA yet.
8) Steyn vs Anderson - Difficult. Steyn has the record but not the form and Anderson has the conditions to suit his bowling and the form. I guess I'd edge with Steyn
9) Broad vs Philander - Again difficult. Philander has had a brilliant debut, but they've been against a self-destructing Aus lineup, NZ and SL in SA. Broad gets it for me
10) Morkel vs Finn/Bresnan - In English conditions, definately the English bowler.

By my reckoning that's 8-3 to England although many of the comparisons are tight. The only obvious areas where SA beat England are the Number 1 batsman and the main pace bowler whereas England have the better keeper, spinner and backup bowlers.

You have it all wrong

Firstly Smith is a much better captain than Strauss. Go and look up win:loss:drw ratios. I Cba posting them here but Smiths are higher

Imran Tahir is 1000x better than Swan lol. Kid grew up with Saeed Ajmal but sold Pakistan out to move to SA.

Hashim Amla owns all with his beard :smile: much better than Trott.

You have pretty much gone for English players all the way through....

only ones i agree with you are Peterson and Prior

Good analysis, not sure of England having better back up bolwer because conditions suit Morkel also of his height and pace he genrates. But I agree very tough calls. Will be a good series!:smile:
Original post by mortaz786
You have it all wrong

Firstly Smith is a much better captain than Strauss. Go and look up win:loss:drw ratios. I Cba posting them here but Smiths are higher

Are you kidding me?

Smith - captained 91 matches, won 32, lost 22. W/L - 1.61 and an overall win rate of 46.15%

Strauss - Captained 44 matches, won 22, lost 9. W/L - 2.44 and an overall win rate of 50%.

Imran Tahir is 1000x better than Swan lol. Kid grew up with Saeed Ajmal but sold Pakistan out to move to SA.

Again, are you kidding me? Swann has been a proven match winner in England, Australia, SA, the Windies and now SL. In comparison, Tahir has been completely underwhelming since his debut no matter who he grew up with.

Amla is a good batsman, but there is no batsman you trust more with his wicket that Trott. He's easily the best Number 3 in the world at the moment.
You have it all wrong

You have pretty much gone for English players all the way through....

only ones i agree with you are Peterson and Prior

W/L ratios are about how good the team is. Its impossible to say who is the better captain in this scenario because they're both quite good. It is also, irrelevant in that kind of comparison. Smith has better batting quality and better form than Strauss.

Imran Tahir is no way better than Swann - he hasn't got the record, just no where near. If you want figures on that, id be happy to post them. Are you a Pakistani-people supporter? I don't mean that in an offensive way, I just think thats the only reason you could claim that some guy who is unproven in Test Matches is better than the No 1/2 spinner in the world at the moment...

Amla is better than Trott. Mind you, Trott is excellent and might have a better record but has been around for less time and is a bit more prone to failure, especially off late, than Amla is. The competition is quite close though. Not like Swann and Tahir.
ok forget statistics

the simple truth is England will just have a batting collapse as usual and SA will white wash them.
ok forget statistics

the simple truth is England will just have a batting collapse as usual and SA will white wash them.

Their batting is awful in the subcontinent but not bad in home conditions where the ball comes onto the bat. The last 5 matches have been in difficult conditions for them. The next two series wont!

Last 3 summers:

Played: 20

Won: 14
Drawn: 4
Lost: 2

Won all 6 series.

They are good at home!
(edited 12 years ago)

When I was reading that for some reason my head was shouting BIAS. Having read it again, can't disagree to be honest. Only difference is Amla v Trott, not sure.

And LOL at the guy who thinks Tahir is better than Swann, **** me. Facepalm

Latest