The Student Room Group

2012 Uni Applicants for Photography

Scroll to see replies

Reply 460
Original post by ChrisMcFall
What was their offer btw?

Conditional, i have to pass my foundation course, even though i already have 320 points from A level grrr
Still don't have an feedback from eca - what does it mean ??? - rejected ??? :frown:
Original post by words are missing
Still don't have an feedback from eca - what does it mean ??? - rejected ??? :frown:

When was your applicant day? My offer came through exactly three weeks after, so I think they're just slow... Hope you hear something soon!
1st of May and it's 4 weeks almost :frown: . . .
I am wory because I don't know if I should to start slowly think about Glasgow - i got a place in GSA - or to give a call to eca. I don't know what they do so long, it's frustrating.
I think it's because ECA waits until they have all applications in before making decisions, I think the deadline is coming up soon for unis to make choices though? Sorry I'm not being very helpful! I've heard good things about GSA :smile:
Reply 465
anyone applying for photography foundation course at LCC?
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 466
1st of May and it's 4 weeks almost :frown: . . .
I am wory because I don't know if I should to start slowly think about Glasgow - i got a place in GSA - or to give a call to eca. I don't know what they do so long, it's frustrating.

My applicant day was on 1st March but they said they send out replies up to the 10th May so I wouldn't worry about it.
Original post by twinlensreflex
Eeee! good luck! :biggrin:

How long did it take for your reply to come through on ucas? Still haven't heard back from them yet. D:
Original post by procrastination...
How long did it take for your reply to come through on ucas? Still haven't heard back from them yet. D:

Still hasn't come through, but they seemed pretty dead set on offering me a place. Everywhere else has taken at least two weeks, so I'll wait another week before I get anxious :wink: Hope yours comes through soon too :biggrin:
Finally got conditional for eca and unconditional for gsa and honestly donno what to choose !! :frown:
Does anybody can help me which school to choose: I got a conditional for ECA (IELTS 6.5 which I have to pass) and unconditional for GSA and don't know what to do. Which school is better in many sense? creativity, equipment, tutors, people, everything! Please need a help! Thank you!
Reply 471
Nottingham Trent just changed my offer from conditional to unconditional, yeeeaaahhhhh:biggrin:
Reply 472
Hey guys, anyone doing the FdA fashion photography and styling at LCF?
Ergh. Didn't get into MMU. Offer from DMU and still waiting on an interview from UWE after I had to reschedule. Meh. Unsure what to do now :frown:
has anyone still not heard back from eca for photography?
Does anybody can help me which school to choose: I got a conditional for ECA (IELTS 6.5 which I have to pass) and unconditional for GSA and don't know what to do. Which school is better in many sense? creativity, equipment, tutors, people, everything! Please need a help! Thank you!

Hey, I got into ECA too :biggrin: I'm pretty biased towards ECA, so I'd suggest that. Have you visited either? Given that they're both dedicated art colleges I think they'd be pretty similar in terms of creativity. In terms of location I'm leaning towards ECA (fantastic views). I'm visiting ECA on Friday so I could let you know what I think after I've looked about? GSA would make a pretty decent insurance choice at any rate. :cool:
Reply 476
Gonna do foundation photography course on LCC, is anyone else going there?:smile:
Hey, I got into ECA too :biggrin: I'm pretty biased towards ECA, so I'd suggest that. Have you visited either? Given that they're both dedicated art colleges I think they'd be pretty similar in terms of creativity. In terms of location I'm leaning towards ECA (fantastic views). I'm visiting ECA on Friday so I could let you know what I think after I've looked about? GSA would make a pretty decent insurance choice at any rate. :cool:

Ok, thanks, I was at ECA application day and it looked amazing but I am not sure how it works practically for ex: developement, promotion of students (exhibitions) etc. I haven't seen the GSA department so I am pretty unsure which one to choose and yes, luckily GSA it's an lovely insurance.
Reply 478
I felt totally the same; they came off as really pretentious & a bit smarmy for what they actually had. I went to my interview on Tuesday just as a kinda 'what can go wrong? I have my 3 offers' sorta thing. But interview = awesome, the staff who interviewed me were sweet. I think it'll probably be my insurance.

Ha, glad it wasn't just me then.

I missed my interview unfortunately - took a train an hour later than I should, but I'll blame that on Bristol rescheduling my interview for the previous day and having to rebook my tickets & getting back home really late.

On the other hand I got into my first choice, UWE, the interview went swimmingly and they really loved me. So very happy about that.

Coventry didn't want me but what pains me is that I trekked there just to have them tell me they're not gonna take me the moment I'm in the room. What's the point of going for an interview if you're not gonna have the interview?

Now here's the fun part:

I asked for feedback out of curiosity, and the lecturer questioned my presentation choice (matte prints in a portfolio box), my use of diptychs, and also seemed to think that in one set the light is 'too warm' and asked why that is so (the images were shot during the golden hour right before sunset). I admit I'm always afraid of over-editing, but overall his decision seemed to be based on personal taste - of course you can't go onto a Photography degree with zero photography interest or knowledge, but if that's my weakness surely uni would be the place to learn? Lastly, he didn't think I had enough research for my images - my research is thorough, but I only brought one sketchbook with me as a sample - plus some of the sets for my portfolio are from personal rather than college work, so I didn't have research for every single set in there.

This is one of the images in question ('too warm') by the way:

I admit to being a little bit butthurt, but at least he quietened down when I told him I got into my top two choices already, one of them being Commercial Photography in Bournemouth. Can't please everyone, haha.
Original post by ronnalee

Now here's the fun part:

I asked for feedback out of curiosity, and the lecturer questioned my presentation choice (matte prints in a portfolio box), my use of diptychs, and also seemed to think that in one set the light is 'too warm' and asked why that is so (the images were shot during the golden hour right before sunset). I admit I'm always afraid of over-editing, but overall his decision seemed to be based on personal taste - of course you can't go onto a Photography degree with zero photography interest or knowledge, but if that's my weakness surely uni would be the place to learn? Lastly, he didn't think I had enough research for my images - my research is thorough, but I only brought one sketchbook with me as a sample - plus some of the sets for my portfolio are from personal rather than college work, so I didn't have research for every single set in there.

This is one of the images in question ('too warm') by the way:

I admit to being a little bit butthurt, but at least he quietened down when I told him I got into my top two choices already, one of them being Commercial Photography in Bournemouth. Can't please everyone, haha.

Congrats on getting into UWE :biggrin:

I think he was being a bit harsh; especially to call you to interview and then go 'actually, no.'. Waste of time really. :L I love shooting in that 'golden hour' (I might have to steal that phrase now!), especially with plastic cameras that bit before sunset is perfect in the summer. I always prefer warm images though, but I think the warmth suits that one fine (it'd look pretty jarring if it was colder imo).

Bit harsh on your presentation too O.o I take my stuff around in a suitcase, with matte prints mounted onto cream-ish card. Did you have your stuff organised by project/chronologically? Silly man is all I can say. :tongue:

Quick Reply

Latest