The Student Room Group

MA in Publishing at UCL - HELP!

Scroll to see replies

Original post by ellemay816
oh man finally! GOOD LUCK TO YOU! ahhh so nervous!!!!!

Thank you , the same to you!
I guess we will find out tomorrow...
Original post by misericordia
Hi Guys!
I thought I would let those of you who are anxiously awaiting emails or status changes on portico know that on Thursday the 28th after almost 5 weeks of agonizing silence on both fronts I rang the admissions dept to ask them about information concerning my application and I was told that an unconditional offer had been made and that the offer letter was sent in the post the day before. This took me by surprise as my status on portico had been 'being processed by admissions' since the Monday and yet contrary to some of the people here who received responses within 1-2 days of that status change I had still not received any response. So basically if you're still waiting and haven't had any updates for a while particularly if you're status is 'being processed by admissions' then my best advice is to simply ring the admissions dept, as nerve wrecking as I know that may be because my status only eventually changed on Sunday almost a week after the intial status change. I also haven’t received any e-mails since my second reference was submitted back in Feb.
Good luck to you all!

To those still waiting who might think this is an exception... Last week, I was contacted by a secretary who told me I wouldn't hear before April 16th because of the Easter break. I received another email from her ten minutes later saying that she made a mistake and that actually a decision had already been made. Congratulations and pretty low academic conditions followed.
My status on Portico, however, is still "application complete!"

So don't fret, and don't hesitate to contact your departments if you feel like you've been waiting for too long! :smile:
Good luck to everyone!
Unsuccessful.
Took them 4 1/2 month to figure that out! Just got an email about the status change, guess they are working through the night, or something.

Well, I expected that much. Have an offer from Oxford for a different program (not economics), so I guess it is a sign!
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by janjanmmm
Unsuccessful.
Took them 4 1/2 month to figure that out! Just got an email about the status change, guess they are working through the night, or something.

Well, I expected that much. Have an offer from Oxford for a different program (not economics), so I guess it is a sign!

Unsuccessful for me too! I'm also looking at other programs (not economics) so I guess it worked out fine for both of us. but yeah it's a bit obnoxious that they made us wait (and you longer!) so long for that response. Dumb UCL!
Reply 744
Original post by npub123
Hopefully you haven't gone yet, but yes, it's pretty simple. They also ask what you see for the future of publishing. If you have gone, how was it? :smile:

Thanks for the tip! My interview is next Thursday :smile:
Reply 745
Hey all,

I applied on March 16th for the MSC in Facilities and Environment Management. My undergrad was at USC (USA) in Mathematical Economics where I received at 3.45 (2:1?), and I currently work in Construction. How promising is this email from the course director?

Thank you for your interest in UCL's MSc in Facility and Environment Management. I read your personal statement with interest as your ambition is certainly one of the more adventurous and interesting takes on FM as a career. If you have any questions about the course please drop me a line. In the meanwhile you should be hearing formally from UCL in a few weeks time.

My personal statement pretty much answered what they've appeared to have been asking in the essay Look promising?
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 746
Got an offer from Bartlett UCL for Msc Construction Economics&Management after an interview.
Reply 747
Original post by Emin ATAK
Got an offer from Bartlett UCL for Msc Construction Economics&Management after an interview.

Do you mind me asking what your stats were (work experience, were you 2:1 or 2:2, etc.)?
Reply 748
Got and accepted an offer in MSc Neuroscience 2012-13 at UCL :biggrin: Anyone else going there?
Reply 749
Original post by peliqueiro
The thing is they ask me for certain overall mark in my degree, but as I am a final year student most of this overall mark is determined by previous years marks. In fact even getting the highest marks this year I wouldn't be able to meet their condition :frown:

Are you studying in the UK?

If you're studying in a different country, they might not be aware of this. I think this happened to an American guy last year and it was ok in the end.
Reply 750
Hi all,

I received what appears to be an unofficial offer on the 22nd of March from the Bartlett via email, but as of yet the status of my application on portico remains 'application complete.'

I was wondering whether the Registry could still reject my application and approximately when I should receive a final response-when do they start processing applications after the Easter break?
Original post by ginger.
Are you studying in the UK?

If you're studying in a different country, they might not be aware of this. I think this happened to an American guy last year and it was ok in the end.

Yes. I am studying in Spain at the moment, so maybe they are unaware of the fact that my overall mark is already very settled, The Final degree project I am doing is just 25% of the grade when I know from my own experience similar modules are worth up to 50% of the overall mark at UK architecture schools.
Original post by maestro10
Hi all,

I received what appears to be an unofficial offer on the 22nd of March from the Bartlett via email, but as of yet the status of my application on portico remains 'application complete.'

I was wondering whether the Registry could still reject my application and approximately when I should receive a final response-when do they start processing applications after the Easter break?

You probably received the same email as me, saying the director of the course recommended your admission. It took them almost 2 weeks to send me a conditional offer after that. My portico status changed to "Currently being processed by admissions" the day before. I think they don't usually reject anyone after such emails.
What course did you apply for by the way? I did for the Graduate Architectural Design MArch
Reply 754
Yes. I am studying in Spain at the moment, so maybe they are unaware of the fact that my overall mark is already very settled, The Final degree project I am doing is just 25% of the grade when I know from my own experience similar modules are worth up to 50% of the overall mark at UK architecture schools.

This might well be the case, I'd give them a ring as soon as possible.

I doubt they would have given you an offer if they thought that your application and your results weren't good enough.
Original post by ginger.
This might well be the case, I'd give them a ring as soon as possible.

I doubt they would have given you an offer if they thought that your application and your results weren't good enough.

I have lived in Britain for a year already so I'm familiar with british character... is it alright if I write them explaining the matter? Won't they think I'm trying to underperfom or anything? I suppose it all depends of being tactful... :smile:
Reply 756
I have lived in Britain for a year already so I'm familiar with british character... is it alright if I write them explaining the matter? Won't they think I'm trying to underperfom or anything? I suppose it all depends of being tactful... :smile:

I don't think so, not if you explain it to them properly.

Say you've got three modules left to do and you'd have to get something like 80% in each of them to meet the offer, they'll know that it's highly unlikely you will.

Personally I'd talk to them on the phone. They might not be familiar with the Spanish system so you might have to explain quite a lot.

Good luck!
Thanks everyone and wish me luck!
Reply 758
I heard if you buy Fiona chocolates she gives you extensions, my friend told me that she flirts with all the guys there :biggrin:
Reply 759
E-mail a woman called Fiona, [email protected], she used to help out my friend while he was did the course... watch out for her flirting!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending