The Student Room Group

Going into Academia

So basically I am going to start University this year at Sussex for History. All I know is I really wish to go into academia and writing but I dont have a clue how.

I wish to do my postgrad at a better institution, like say, Oxbridge or the london unis. What are the chances? what are the steps I need to take such as in extracurriculars or activities while doing my degree, is it more competitive at postgrad than undergrad? Have I shot myself in the foot by going to Sussex?

what exactly do I need I guess I'm asking, to become a writer/lecturer and researcher? Any other qualifications etc, I would appreciate if someone gives a an answer in a laid out timeline fashion of all things people do to get to this position starting from undergrad such as other activities, participating in societies etc because I really dont have an idea thanks. I dotn know much apart from the grading of undergraduate degrees lol thats it
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 1
What's wrong with Sussex? :lolwut:

Yes, you can apply to those unis. No, you don't necessarily need extra-curriculars - academics are more important. Just focus on getting excellent marks (you need at least a 2.1 for most MAs but aim higher because pretty much everyone applying will have at least a 2.1), make sure your personal statement is up to scratch when you get to the applying stage and choose your referees well because you'll need excellent references.
Reply 2
To be honest it doesn't matter where you did your undergraduate degree, just how well you did. I have a friend who did her BA at Keele and now goes to Warwick. And HEY i'm going to Sussex! I'm doing geography so you have a fellow humanitarian :smile:
Reply 3
I guess what I was really wondering is the steps I needed to take. And what I can expect from postgrad and how it all works such as research/lecturing, how do I go into that path exactly. Lets say Ive just finished my degree, what next?
Original post by Jagzthebest
I guess what I was really wondering is the steps I needed to take. And what I can expect from postgrad and how it all works such as research/lecturing, how do I go into that path exactly. Lets say Ive just finished my degree, what next?

BA/Sc > MA/Sc/Phil > PhD + conferences + published papers > Post Doctoral position > junior lecturer.

There's nothing you can do to prepare while an undergrad except get the best undergrad degree you can and read broadly (part of the same thing). At the end of your second year/start of your third year, consider if you want to continue to Masters level and can afford it. Nothing beyond that makes sense to think of at this stage.
Reply 5
Original post by threeportdrift
BA/Sc > MA/Sc/Phil > PhD + conferences + published papers > Post Doctoral position > junior lecturer.

There's nothing you can do to prepare while an undergrad except get the best undergrad degree you can and read broadly (part of the same thing). At the end of your second year/start of your third year, consider if you want to continue to Masters level and can afford it. Nothing beyond that makes sense to think of at this stage.

nice. I see, what about placements/internships or that sort of thing?
Reply 6
Hiding in the educational vagina I see. I got you there, brother.
Reply 7
actually I just realised what I was missing, do unis for postgard look down upon joint honours courses if I wanted to do postgrad in a single subject etc?
nice. I see, what about placements/internships or that sort of thing?

There's no such thing in academia.
Reply 9
Original post by mirin?
Hiding in the educational vagina I see. I got you there, brother.

Interesting metaphor...
Reply 10
There's no such thing in academia.

I'm pretty sure there was something in realtion to lecturing, but as I was saying, so Universities for postgrad mind if a course was single/joint honours, I think I read somewhere they do?
Reply 11
I'm pretty sure there was something in realtion to lecturing, but as I was saying, so Universities for postgrad mind if a course was single/joint honours, I think I read somewhere they do?

Your PhD/Postdoc is essentially an apprenticeship.

Lab based subjects have 'interns' in the form of taking on undergraduates to help with research during the University holidays. I'm not sure if humanities would have anything similar.

Single/joint honours should be irrelevant as long as what you have studied for undergrad is relevant and you can show motivation for what you want to study at postgrad.
Reply 12
Original post by Mbob
Your PhD/Postdoc is essentially an apprenticeship.

Lab based subjects have 'interns' in the form of taking on undergraduates to help with research during the University holidays. I'm not sure if humanities would have anything similar.

Single/joint honours should be irrelevant as long as what you have studied for undergrad is relevant and you can show motivation for what you want to study at postgrad.

thank you.
Reply 13
ah yes, so how do references work, and what did you mean by choose excellent references? Apart from working my ass off at University, what else can I do
ah yes, so how do references work, and what did you mean by choose excellent references? Apart from working my ass off at University, what else can I do

Nothing, references for an academic post would be academic references, and so would focus on your academic ability. Although that would not exclusively be about passing exams, with increasing seniority it would be about the quality of your research, teaching, papers, books etc.

You are worrying about this far too soon. At the moment you have no idea if you get on with university life, you don't know if you like university level study, research, politics etc and you will only really be able to begin to get a feel for that by your third year. Then Masters study is very different from Undergrad. Then again PhD research is very different to most styles of Masters study. When you get to university and see these people around you, you will get a much better feel for the possibilities and routes.
You are worrying about this far too soon. At the moment you have no idea if you get on with university life, you don't know if you like university level study, research, politics etc and you will only really be able to begin to get a feel for that by your third year. Then Masters study is very different from Undergrad. Then again PhD research is very different to most styles of Masters study. When you get to university and see these people around you, you will get a much better feel for the possibilities and routes.

This is very good advice. Just chill out and start by getting the most out of your undergraduate studies
Reply 16
One step at a time! Focus on getting a 1st from Sussex if you want to go into academia. Once you have done that, then you can think about other things :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest