The Student Room Group

Stay at Uni or get job?

I'm at Uni at the moment studying Accounting and Finance. Although it might sound a bit dreary to some, my 'ambition' is to have my own (well a fair few) car showrooms.

I'm not really enjoying Uni in the slightest but my idea was to get a decent accounting job, save up the money needed to start, and then a few years down the line open one and go from there. I would (hopefully) get a normal sales job beforehand just to see how everything works so I'm not completely clueless when I start myself.

After a conversation with a friend though (who basically asked me why the hell I was even at uni if that's what I want to do), do you think I would be better off just trying to get a sales job straight away and leave uni? I'm sure I would be good at the job but if it was you, would you finish the degree first or go along the job route?
Reply 1
How much do you not enjoy uni?
If you think you can stick it out, then that would be good, but if you think you cannot stand another minute there then go get a job and earn.
It's hard for me and others to tell you what to do because we don't know exactly how you feel and what is best for you or the job.

But really it's whether you want a degree or a abit of experience and money under your belt?
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 2
Original post by Maccees
I'm at Uni at the moment studying Accounting and Finance. Although it might sound a bit dreary to some, my 'ambition' is to have my own (well a fair few) car showrooms.

I'm not really enjoying Uni in the slightest but my idea was to get a decent accounting job, save up the money needed to start, and then a few years down the line open one and go from there. I would (hopefully) get a normal sales job beforehand just to see how everything works so I'm not completely clueless when I start myself.

After a conversation with a friend though (who basically asked me why the hell I was even at uni if that's what I want to do), do you think I would be better off just trying to get a sales job straight away and leave uni? I'm sure I would be good at the job but if it was you, would you finish the degree first or go along the job route?

Have you ever worked in a car showroom? I worked in the franchising department at General Motors for a year and had the opportunity to visit a fair few dealerships. Not a single one looked like an enjoyable place to work. Fair enough if that's your ambition, but don't quit uni for it if you haven't already tried it IMO.
Reply 3
Accounting and Finance is an excellent safety net. I would not give up that reassurance so easily. Do your degree, then look for a sales position. Plus having an accounting degree will help you with practical finance matters when you set up your own business :smile: See this as education for your future plans, not a means to get employment (although obviously it will help).
Reply 4
Well I am struggling a bit at Uni money wise but I think I'd feel a bit safer with the Degree like ForKicks said.
The few private showrooms I've been into looked pretty nice M1011 haha, maybe it was just the bigger companies? But that is one of the reasons why I would rather own my own.

Cheers!
Reply 5
Original post by Maccees
Well I am struggling a bit at Uni money wise but I think I'd feel a bit safer with the Degree like ForKicks said.
The few private showrooms I've been into looked pretty nice M1011 haha, maybe it was just the bigger companies? But that is one of the reasons why I would rather own my own.

Cheers!

Well granted Vauxhall / Chevrolet doesn't scream luxury, but I was more talking about the environment to be honest. It's a cut throat, commission based, world. Lots of pressure to make a sale, little pressure to be a team. Now obviously if you own the place then you can angle it how you like, but just be wary of what it'll actually be like. Some people no doubt thrive in that environment, but I'd say many more would not. Go in to a car dealership and ask to shadow someone for a day, might be worthwhile to get a taste of it.

Also, if you're planning on being a franchised dealership (i.e. lets say you're a BMW dealership), then sure you can own the place. That's fine, you own it. But expect to be strictly instructed on everything from the models you stock to the paint on the wall. From the signs you hang to the advertising you do. From the people you employee to the carpets on the floor. Everything is controlled, so bare that in mind if that was your aim.

Furthermore consider the cost associated with owning your own dealership. I can tell you for a fact more often then not the actual owners of car dealerships (not the people that run them, the owners), are rich people who have invested in the land and see this as a way to earn a bit extra while their land investments rise in value. It's not an easy thing to own your own dealership, you need a large space (consider not just the showroom but the car park where you will store vehicles) in a popular, client facing area. Not a cheap investment.

All in all my opinion may be very different from yours, so don't let me take away from your goal. I'm just trying to nudge you towards giving it a try before you make a big life choice is all :smile: As others have said, regardless of what you decide to do for your career, the degree will always be good to have.
Reply 6
Original post by M1011
Well granted Vauxhall / Chevrolet doesn't scream luxury, but I was more talking about the environment to be honest. It's a cut throat, commission based, world. Lots of pressure to make a sale, little pressure to be a team. Now obviously if you own the place then you can angle it how you like, but just be wary of what it'll actually be like. Some people no doubt thrive in that environment, but I'd say many more would not. Go in to a car dealership and ask to shadow someone for a day, might be worthwhile to get a taste of it.

Also, if you're planning on being a franchised dealership (i.e. lets say you're a BMW dealership), then sure you can own the place. That's fine, you own it. But expect to be strictly instructed on everything from the models you stock to the paint on the wall. From the signs you hang to the advertising you do. From the people you employee to the carpets on the floor. Everything is controlled, so bare that in mind if that was your aim.

Furthermore consider the cost associated with owning your own dealership. I can tell you for a fact more often then not the actual owners of car dealerships (not the people that run them, the owners), are rich people who have invested in the land and see this as a way to earn a bit extra while their land investments rise in value. It's not an easy thing to own your own dealership, you need a large space (consider not just the showroom but the car park where you will store vehicles) in a popular, client facing area. Not a cheap investment.

All in all my opinion may be very different from yours, so don't let me take away from your goal. I'm just trying to nudge you towards giving it a try before you make a big life choice is all :smile: As others have said, regardless of what you decide to do for your career, the degree will always be good to have.

No worries, I appreciate the advice!
I knew it would be expensive to start up, I just got the idea when I went to look at a car a while back and the guy that owned the place did it all himself. It wasn't big, just a small building that could fit about 4 cars in, office space to the back and a nice reception area. Then he had most of the cars arranged outside. I had a chat with him and he was about to lease a new property that he could fit more stock into, suppose he 'inspired' me haha.

As for the work and environment, I think that would drive me quite well to be honest. I've not experienced it yet so I obviously can't know for sure, but I think I would be better off with a commission based job because it would always push me to do better. Good idea though, once I'm done for summer I'll try and get some work experience or something :smile:
Reply 7
Original post by Maccees
No worries, I appreciate the advice!
I knew it would be expensive to start up, I just got the idea when I went to look at a car a while back and the guy that owned the place did it all himself. It wasn't big, just a small building that could fit about 4 cars in, office space to the back and a nice reception area. Then he had most of the cars arranged outside. I had a chat with him and he was about to lease a new property that he could fit more stock into, suppose he 'inspired' me haha.

As for the work and environment, I think that would drive me quite well to be honest. I've not experienced it yet so I obviously can't know for sure, but I think I would be better off with a commission based job because it would always push me to do better. Good idea though, once I'm done for summer I'll try and get some work experience or something :smile:

Cool, well best of luck to you.
Reply 8
Original post by IRL
Both are utterly ****.

Way to contribute nothing, thanks for stopping by.

Bloody inbreeding.
Depends how much you hate it. If you can stick it out, I think that would be the wisest choice. Accountancy is a good safety net, as someone previously mentioned. It's essential that you gain some in-sight and experience before basing your whole degree and future prospects before dropping out, how far are you in your degree? :^_^:
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 10
One thing you should always learn in life is to have a back up plan... I suggest you stay at uni finish your degree then persevere your ambitions, as in todays world there is way too much competition to just leave uni, you're probably thinking, 'Ahh i'll just leave uni, don't enjoy it that much'. But trust me stick in there finish your degree and become successful, you even might find another ambition or you may find people who help you a lot during the way.
ps. Have fun uni life is meant to be amazing (live a little)

Good luck, with what ever decision you make, hope it all turns out good for you!
Reply 11
Why not get a part time car sales job alongside uni?
Reply 12
I'm just sitting my first year exams, will finally be done next friday :lol:

Think I will stick Uni out, you're all right about the safety net. I looked into getting a part time sales job but all the vacancies I looked at wanted full time people, usually with experience already :/

Quick Reply