The Student Room Group

WJEC A2 Computing June 12 Exam Thread

Who's sitting this exam. Compared with AQA computing only a very few people take it at WJEC.

So far looking at the mark schemes I can't help thinking how easy it is to lose marks knowing the correct answer.
Reply 1
Me.

The mark scheme is stupidly strict. You have to put the exact answer as what's in the mark scheme, otherwise you'll get rewarded with a big fat 0 on each question. It sucks I know...
Reply 2
Not looking forward to this exam! It's not a good sign that I'm on this and the exam starts in just over an hour! Even worse that this exam will basically choose what university I will be studying at!

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Reply 3
We're allowed to discuss this exam in 12 hours, right?
Reply 4
Well I won't have much to discuss... -.-

Reply 5
It also says in the rules that WJEC exams are okk to talk about straight after the exam!! So how did you find it?

Reply 6
Had no idea what application development was for the last question. Never heard of it lol. Also the 6 marker for the quicksort recursion O.o Had no idea what to write for 6 marks. How did everyone else find the exam?
Compared to some of the last questions on previous exams (compilation would have been a god send) I didn't do too well on the last question, but the rest of the exam I thought wasn't too hard... Not sure whether I fully explained two's complement or not.

Apart from that I think it went OK :smile:

Anybody else?
Reply 8
I wrote about 6 lines for quick sort. all could worth no marks. I just didn't know how to brief it.
Reply 9
Hey,

Sorry for interrupting, I wrote about the same amount for the quicksort, but isn't application generator/development using a program design written in PDL and converting it into a executable program? :s-smilie:
That's the only part of the final question I struggled with D:
Reply 10
Original post by CurtyBear
Hey,

Sorry for interrupting, I wrote about the same amount for the quicksort, but isn't application generator/development using a program design written in PDL and converting it into a executable program? :s-smilie:
That's the only part of the final question I struggled with D:

I have no idea about the application generator. I was never taught it and neither were people in my class which is why we were all confused when that was in the list.
Reply 11
Original post by TLK
I have no idea about the application generator. I was never taught it and neither were people in my class which is why we were all confused when that was in the list.

Yeah me too. I had so many definitions in my mind. I really didn't want to put down anything to do with program design language. I was being vague as possible so it seemed like I knew what I was writing but with not much detail.

I got this from the internet.

Application generator is a commercially prepared software package used to create applications programs or parts of such programs.

Is it an IDE like Java Eclipse. Or Visual Basic
Reply 12
Thought it was a good paper. Didnt know how to brief quicksort either, can't remember what i wrote :P
I thought the test was quite fair to be honest. A lot of big topics came up. Yes must admit I also did not know what an application generator was, but the debugger, compiler and CASE tools were all straight forward enough so there were plenty of marks on offer. The algorithm question was quite simple. I really hope I've put the mark schemes answers down because with WJEC it appears that if your answer is not a replica of the mark scheme you are awarded nothing!!
Original post by Old Father Time
I thought the test was quite fair to be honest. A lot of big topics came up. Yes must admit I also did not know what an application generator was, but the debugger, compiler and CASE tools were all straight forward enough so there were plenty of marks on offer. The algorithm question was quite simple. I really hope I've put the mark schemes answers down because with WJEC it appears that if your answer is not a replica of the mark scheme you are awarded nothing!!

My head teacher found this out and made a revision guide based off WJEC mark schemes from the last 10 years which I used to structure my answers.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 15
Original post by ExplosiveSam
My head teacher found this out and made a revision guide based off WJEC mark schemes from the last 10 years which I used to structure my answers.

Wish we had a such head teacher. My teacher gave me nothing. In-fact borrowed my notes.
Reply 16
An applications generator is declarative programming. Where you declare what you want and using a library it will build the declared program. I don't know if this is right, it's what one of my mates put but we were never taught it

The exam wasn't as broken down as I was expecting either, there was a lot of questions requiring detail in favor of the ones you can quickly do to pick up marks and build up extra time which is what I rely on. I didn't manage to finish it which is a first and it's really pissed me off T_T.gif
Reply 17
I thought it went okay. I didn't have time to finish the last 2 questions, but whatever. Fingers crossed for a B! :biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending