The Student Room Group

Can short people be as good in fights?

Scroll to see replies

You can eat their knee caps. List is endless really.
Reply 21
Weight is more important than height. Anyway,in street fighting the most important thing is to be an aggressive mother****er. No rules whatsoever. This means spitting, biting, stamping, kicking in the nuts etc... One last thing - if you know how to punch properly you can knockout pretty much anyone with one punch if they're not expecting it. Most inexperienced fighters who think they are tough will come up to you with their hands down by their sides trying to get in your face and saying things like "You wanna start huh - come on than innit i'll knock you out". There is no code of honor in such situations - just sucker punch them in the chin or headbutt them lol.
(edited 11 years ago)
Punch her in the ovary. A straight shot. Right to the babymaker.
Reply 23
Taller, bigger people are much slower at fighting.

Smaller, are light and quick on their feet.

From experience, my height has not stopped me from kicking another persons maximus gluteus
Original post by Classical Liberal

Like if it was kickboxing or something, the taller person is going to pwn.

Don't little guys from thailand basically dominate kickboxing or am i missing something?

muay thai and all that...
Original post by kingkongjaffa
Don't little guys from thailand basically dominate kickboxing or am i missing something?

Do they?

I don't really know. My instructor was a pretty great kickboxer in his day, and he is tall. But yeah, I don't really have any facts to hand.
Reply 26
pick up a crow bar and you could be 2ft tall she'd still get a good walloping :rolleyes: but in all seriousness just remember that the bigger they are the harder they fall.
Reply 27
Rambo: I've always believed that the mind is the best weapon.
Reply 28
Original post by + polarity -
Aim for the knees.

this made me laugh so much ................. happens so much in wrestling
Reply 29

MT, like almost all combat sport has weight classes - although granted, in Thailand there are fewer of them due to a general homogeniety of fighters.
It depends what you mean by win. Even trained 5ft females can't really do much damage with strikes so its hard to get a clear winner. Height is very important for males though because of reach, in boxing it is everything.
No it was a genuine thread... Wow
Reply 32
Original post by stefl14
Weight is more important than height. Anyway,in street fighting the most important thing is to be an aggressive mother****er. No rules whatsoever. This means spitting, biting, stamping, kicking in the nuts etc... One last thing - if you know how to punch properly you can knockout pretty much anyone with one punch if they're not expecting it. Most inexperienced fighters who think they are tough will come up to you with their hands down by their sides trying to get in your face and saying things like "You wanna start huh - come on than innit i'll knock you out". There is no code of honor in such situations - just sucker punch them in the chin or headbutt them lol.

Although this person is coming across as a bit of a fool, there is considerable truth in what he says. The greatest determinant of success in fighting is a fighting mentality. Someone used to fighting and physical confrontation will almost always prevail over someone who is not - regardless of most other factors. Hence, a kungfool or a chunner will probably prevail over an untrained regular person as they have a quantum of training and "sparring". On the other hand, a rugby player would most likely prevail over the chunner. Not due to any physical size or technique, but due to their mental attitude toward aggression and confrontation.

As to the original question - it depends on "all else being equal". If all else is equal, the small person will almost always lose. If the small person is more aggressive and better trained (and not in kung fu), that small person will probably prevail.

I remember a small guy (under 4' - so I suppose medically he was a dwarf) who was mega strong and was a Judo 3rd Dan. Because of his height, he was always in low weight classes and his major technique was kata-guruma, which he was really good at.
Reply 33

Those skinny thai kids would practically smash anyone up. on average they're 5ft5 and above/ Their strength is also unbelievable, from years of conditioning and clinching.

A torque from a muay thai kick has the same force as a baseball bat swung hard from the end, enough to break your ribs, leg bones or cause internal bleeding. Not to mention a thai boxers' shin has been conditioned to the point where it is as hard as a baseball bat anyway :tongue:

would definitely not want to get in a ring with those crazies.
Reply 34
My ninjutsu instructor is 5'2 and a 13th Dan, hes a bloody amazing fighter. Ive never seen him beaten in a scrap.

Im 5'1 and there are two other girls in the martial art shorter than me, and none of us find it a disadvantage, in fact i find it easier to fight the bigger guys as it is easy to use their weight and strength against them. As for untrained females, its been several years since i was one, but i can tell you that a willingness to fight and hurt someone will usually do much more than hight/weight etc. Not many people are willing to seriously hurt others.

But like others have said, it is best not to fight whenever possible.
Original post by DontJudge
Taller, bigger people are much slower at fighting.

Smaller, are light and quick on their feet.

Have to say I disagree. As a large human myself (6 foot 2 and 102 kilogram) that level of size gives you an unprecedented advantage over normal size humans. The ability to bring more size, mass and strength into play, combined with a greater reach will negate any trivial (if any) speed advantage a small person may have.
Original post by almosttrue
Could a small short female (like 5ft height) be stronger/beat the average bigger female in a fight do you think? Or does height have everything to do with it? Assuming there has been no self defence training..

I wanna watch the fight! :cookie: make a video :tongue:
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by Classical Liberal
Do they?

I don't really know. My instructor was a pretty great kickboxer in his day, and he is tall. But yeah, I don't really have any facts to hand.

You do realise there is a difference between MT and kickboxing right? In terms of Muay Thai, there have been many top level competiton where 'weight category' was only a loose requirement or not enforced at all, such as the ratchadamnoen tournements. The muay thai guys generally murdered the heavier kickboxing guys from europe and us
youll have to take a lot of what people post on this thread with a pinch of salt about fighting, the closest many have come is youtube or the movies.
But the factual points that can be made are - height related factors, if any, would depend on fighting styles and affect speed, reach and how easy the head is to target typically in upright striking - strength, flexibility and maneoverability in terms of grappling/ground styles
skill /ability and technical knowhow is more likely to be more important than most physical attributes

there are lkely to be good and bad examples of fighters in varying heights, for example mike tyson is regarded as one of the all time great heavyweights and regularly destroyed guys 5 plus inches taller than himself.
martial arts styles often lend themselves to assisting the smaller guy to bring down the larger opponent.
(edited 11 years ago)
Yes. You can look at bruce lee for example he is greatestfighter in thr world and also if you learn kung fu you can have good chance to defense yourself and do gain weight and be stronger my friend.
Reply 39
No. Put simply if all else is equal then height is an advantage. Of course all else never is equal, so it's just one of many variables.

Quick Reply

Latest