The Student Room Group

Bit of a "bump" to the elbow

By bump, I mean bang, and by bang I mean my (disabled, and at the time very upset and angry) sister thrusting a 3kg porcelin vase at my elbow this morning. Was an attempt to show me how angry she was :s-smilie:

It sounds funny sort of but it's sore - and it's gone fifty shades of purple (and red, blue, black, bit grey) :frown:

I can move my elbow fairly well but it hurts to touch, there's pain on flattening my arm, slight numbness if I rest on it, the area around it is swollen too .. Might not help that out of habit I pushed myself up on it earlier and whacked it off a few lamposts.

Showed the pharmacist later who was a bit :eek: but suggested deep freeze spray which has helped somewhat but obviously only masks the pain for 15 minutes or so..

Apparently if I can move it it can't be broken - but don't know how much I believe that as I've broken both feet before and did manage to, with pain, walk on them.. Unsure whether I ought to give it tonight or so and if its still sore then phone doctor, see if it needs x raying? WWYD?
Reply 1
Just because you can move it, it doesn't mean it's not broken, however it is more unlikely to be broken. Saying that though, I think it would be unlikely that just having a vase, albeit heavy, thrown at your elbow would be enough to break it. I suspect soft tissue damage and some bruising. In which case, just ice, rest and anti-inflammatories should help.

If I were you I would seek medical attention for your elbow. Not necessarily A&E, it's up to you to decide how important it is. Ringing NHS Direct will help (not sure if it exists in Scotland or not). If you're not too worried, a local Minor Injuries Unit or your GP will be able to assess you just as well. MIU's have access to X-ray so can tell you if it's broken or not, your GP will be able to send you for an X-ray if they deem it necessary.

Without wanting to scare-monger, the symptoms of a broken elbow include, one or more but not necessarily all of the following list.

Seek medical attention for your elbow, if:

Swelling occurs at or near the elbow

Any deformity of the elbow or the areas near the elbow.

The injured elbow has a new lump or bump, go to the emergency department. Compare the injured elbow to the uninjured one.

Grinding, popping, or clicking is heard or felt during elbow, wrist, or hand movement

The elbow "catches" at the joint. Normal elbow motion becomes limited.

Discoloration of the elbow or areas near the elbow occurs. A bluish, purplish, or blackish color may indicate bleeding into, or near, the elbow. A reddish color may be a sign of infection.

Any numbness or tingling is noticed in any part of the arm, for instance, a "funny bone" feeling that doesn't go away

The forearm, wrist, or fingers feels "dead" and difficult or impossible to move normally.

Significant pain in the elbow, forearm, wrist, or hand.

The wrist, forearm or hand becomes pale, cool, or bluish color that may indicate a blockage of blood flow in the injured elbow.

Bleeding around the elbow area.

A person cannot easily perform the following motions without pain:

Fully straighten the elbow

Fully bend the elbow so that the fingertips touch the shoulder

(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by l.west191
Just because you can move it, it doesn't mean it's not broken, however it is more unlikely to be broken. Saying that though, I think it would be unlikely that just having a vase, albeit heavy, thrown at your elbow would be enough to break it. I suspect soft tissue damage and some bruising. In which case, just ice, rest and anti-inflammatories should help.

If I were you I would seek medical attention for your elbow. Not necessarily A&E, it's up to you to decide how important it is. Ringing NHS Direct will help (not sure if it exists in Scotland or not). If you're not too worried, a local Minor Injuries Unit or your GP will be able to assess you just as well. MIU's have access to X-ray so can tell you if it's broken or not, your GP will be able to send you for an X-ray if they deem it necessary.

Without wanting to scare-monger, the symptoms of a broken elbow include, one or more but not necessarily all of the following list.

The injured elbow has a new lump or bump, go to the emergency department. Compare the injured elbow to the uninjured one.

Grinding, popping, or clicking is heard or felt during elbow, wrist, or hand movement

Discoloration of the elbow or areas near the elbow occurs. A bluish, purplish, or blackish color may indicate bleeding into, or near, the elbow. A reddish color may be a sign of infection.

Any numbness or tingling is noticed in any part of the arm, for instance, a "funny bone" feeling that doesn't go away

The forearm, wrist, or fingers feels "dead" and difficult or impossible to move normally.

The wrist, forearm or hand becomes pale, cool, or bluish color that may indicate a blockage of blood flow in the injured elbow.

Well.. I do have some of that :s-smilie: Might phone GP tommorow and see..
Reply 3
Im agreeing with I.west191, when i broke my elbow i could still move it, it took a couple of days to seize up, might be worth just giving it the once over :smile:
Reply 4
I drunkenly fell over a bus stop and landed on my elbow during the World Cup in 2010. I didnt think that much of it at the time, but it kept clicking when I moved it, so I went to my GP. He said it probably wasn't broken and if it was broken there wasn't much they could do so I should leave it. It still clicks loudly today. It doesn't hurt, but its kind of annoying :s-smilie:
Well, went to the surgery today anyway today to hand in a few things. Asked the receptionist for a quick bit of advice, she said to go get x rays as it does look odd. She offered for a GP to take a look tommorow but did say they would only send me to hospital with it anyway and so to go straight up there.

Mum however says there's no point and to leave it as the swelling has gone down a bit from yesterday. Still sore though and have a line going from the centre point of soreness plus a bit of tingling/pain in my right hand/wrist. Ah well.
Reply 6
I'd get an x ray just incase.The tingling could be nerve compression/damage or it might mean a fracture.
Original post by Annie72
I'd get an x ray just incase.The tingling could be nerve compression/damage or it might mean a fracture.

Just going to have to leave it. Nearest hospital is ten miles down the road and doesn't offer much services beyond x ray - meaning I'd have to travel thirty odd miles to get any diagnosis/treatment which can't do. I should go I know, just doesn't seem possible.

Mum isn't too happy with me for saying it's sore anyway, says A&E will do nothing which I suppose is quite true.

Will stick with the painkillers for now - am managing to bend it/use it, can't lean anyway weight on it directly or touch the point as it's so sore, but don't want to upset my mum further or waste anyone's time I suppose.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 8

I broke my elbow nearly two years ago and I still have nearly all of these symptoms with it. Basically, elbows are complicated and doctors are rubbish at fixing them if you have actually broken it. :colonhash:
Phoned up local casualty and they will x ray in the morning so that's that sorted. Hopefully nothing wrong.
Reply 10
Original post by daisydaffodil
Phoned up local casualty and they will x ray in the morning so that's that sorted. Hopefully nothing wrong.

What did they say?
What did they say?

Just bad bruising, hit a nerve etc - to take painkillers/ice until it settles :smile:
Reply 12
Original post by daisydaffodil
Just bad bruising, hit a nerve etc - to take painkillers/ice until it settles :smile:

Ironically, I broke my wrist last night. Guess you got the lucky break :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest