The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I personally think 115 is more in line with a bin man.
Reply 2
More like 130.
Isnt 120 average or something ?
Reply 4
Yes
Reply 5
You what now?

For ****s sake.
I thought the average IQ was 100. I'm not very intelligent and have an IQ of 129, so sounds like utter *******s to me
Reply 7
Shouldn't be a requirement as such because it's hardly a measure of your medical ability.
IQ has little application. Qualities needed to be a doctor could be discerned more accurately than using IQ tests.
Yes, intelligence is important as a Doctor, but many other factors besides intelligence is important in the making of a good Doctor
some people say IQ is a load of **** anyway

but if it does work, then err, 115 is a bit low...
I think it is ****! When I read it, I thought it was a joke ...so thought it would be interesting to see what everyone else thought.
Imo, your IQ doesn't really matter, it's how hard you work that does, especially for something like medicine. Thomas Edison once said that in order to achieve anything you need 1% intelligence and 99% hardwork. That's why many universities don't look at how intelligent you are as opposed to your potential of working hard.
Reply 13
Emmalouise1990
I think it is ****! When I read it, I thought it was a joke ...so thought it would be interesting to see what everyone else thought.

Is your IQ below 115?
I'd be more concerned if my doctor who was about to operate on me had zero hand to eye co-ordination instead of a mediocre IQ
Reply 15
Irrelevance
I'd be more concerned if my doctor who was about to operate on me had zero hand to eye co-ordination instead of a mediocre IQ
Why would a doctor be operating on you?
Reply 16
this is a joke
medicine should be for 130+ IQ
Reply 17
look, you idiots. the mean IQ, by definition, is 100. and IQ of 115 puts you in the top 25% of the population.

should a doctor be in portion of the population? one would hope so.

if you're now thinking 'but wait, i have an IQ of 140, i thought that was average'... yeah, that's because you took an IQ test on tickle.com or something crap designed to pander to your ego.
Reply 18
I don't think it should be a requirement, but I haven't read the source. Are you sure they aren't trying to get at something like 'to understand the knowledge and perform the functions of a normal doctor, the person must have an IQ of around 115'

That's more saying that to do all the things a doctor does, that's the level of intelligence needed. Could just be that people below this level of IQ do not have the learning ability/capactiy that is needed in the competitive and highly intensive medical training.

But then again, IQ itself is massively flawed so it should have no baring over professional qualifications
I think 115 is fair, maybe even a bit low but it shouldn't be like the cut-off point to become a doctor.

And how many people do you think lie about their IQ?

Or take like a Facebook IQ test and score something ludicrous like 157 and make it official? :wink:

Latest