The Student Room Group

The Arabic Learners' Society

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
wow it must be hard to motivate yourself alone haft_hasht_shish, tbh i rely on the my teachers/supervisors/DoSs forcing me to =)

i think if you find someone to practise with/talk to in arabic you'll find it easier

Anatheme
Wth did I choose Arabic :indiff:
I can't even understand what you wrote.

anatheme dont worry, it'll come with time! its normal not to understand, and tbh i had trouble with what he said too, its not so easy when the arabic is transcribed into the latin script.
Reply 61
Anatheme
I'm struggling in general tbh. I spent 2h doing a translation we're supposed to do in less than 30mins, I didn't even finish it, I can barely read, I can't remember any vocabulary, I can't say anything in Arabic, I'm just lost during lectures, I can't get motivated to do work properly, I don't know, I just struggle way too much, it frustrates me and I just feel like I'm gonna fail. Which is actually probably true considering I can't complete a mock exam summarising what I should have learnt so far.

but are you sure you're actually putting enough work/time into it? arabic is really hard and will need way more time than other languages.

and also, what would you change to? post a-level italian? or do another ab initio language?
Reply 62
*subcribes*

I've been learning Arabic for a while now.

Ana talibun arabiyun :smile:
Reply 63
Socrates
*subcribes*

I've been learning Arabic for a while now.

Ana talibun arabiyun :smile:

ana adrus el lurha el arabiya ayden

kayf halek?
Reply 64
ba khayr, alhamdollillah

ana adrus al arabiya al quraniya (I think that's right!)

wa anta?
Reply 65
Anatheme
I probably won't change, I don't have the balls. I'll just keep struggling rather than try anything else :s-smilie:
And also it's like I don't even feel motivated to do any work. Like it's ok for Russian, I stick with it and it's done, but just the thought of opening the textbook and looking at the list of vocabulary demotivates me. I don't even want to wake up tomorrow because we have a 2h conversation class and I'd rather stay in my bed that be there waiting for someone to reply so that no one will ask me anything and just turn bright red and shut up when it's my turn to talk. I don't enjoy it anymore, it's just a hassle.

im really sorry to hear that!!! but why study something if you hate it so much?

i dont the situation exactly but it sounds to me like like you dont like it because you're not picking it up as quickily as you picked up other languages. the thing is arabic will necesitate much more time and effort, and even if you've found languages easy before, it may not be like that for arabic. dont let that demotivate you. anyway, i hope it gets better soon for you!!!!!

but to be fair if you're being taught by el kitaab i dont blame you for hating arabic, that textbook makes it all more confusing and it treats the readership like we're dumb (imo)
Reply 66
Socrates
ba khayr, alhamdollillah

ana adrus al arabiya al quraniya (I think that's right!)

wa anta?

ana tabaana!

adrus el arabee "modern standard" wa el arabee iraqee wa jordanee we misree.

its funny because you're writing with all the cases like they do in the koran, we learnt them but we've been told not to use them
Reply 67
Anatheme
Al-Kitaab is nasty. I don't hate Arabic, really, I want to learn it, but it's frustrates me like nothing before.

:hugs:
Reply 68
lavalse
ana tabaana!

adrus el arabee "modern standard" wa el arabee iraqee wa jordanee we misree.

its funny because you're writing with all the cases like they do in the koran, we learnt them but we've been told not to use them

I'm learning Arabic to read the classical texts, hence the old fashioned cases :p:
What text books do people recommend aside from Al-Kitaab?
Reply 70
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Arabic-Course-English-Speaking-Students/dp/1872531512/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1226876254&sr=8-1

This is in three volumes, and my teacher uses it. Its amazing. Works at a decent pace, and its not very long either.
Reply 71
Quality thread, if you guys need any help let me know, though don't ask me about tenses and what not. I learnt my Arabic here in the UK so I'm not amazing by any means.
Reply 72
Anatheme - do you go for any of the PASS classes? I know when I went to them last year, they were a bit rubbish. But I think a couple of them from my year who are leading seem to know their stuff. Give it a try?!

Having 4th year students teach us this year is way better! I was meant to be a PASS leader but got back too late for training.. Bit glad for it TBH, won't want anyone cussing me for not knowing how to teach..

And I made a few mitakes in my tranlisteration, so no worries if you ddin't get it! :smile: And, how you describe your situation reminds me a lot of one of my friends.. Al Kitaab doesn't make anything easier :s-smilie:
Reply 73
Find them helpful? :smile:
Reply 74
Asalam Alikum,
I can speak,write and read Arabic very well.
Alhamdulilah=Thanks god

Shukran=Thank you
afwan=welcome
asef=sorry

Three words for today.

I'm ready for anykind of help

TC
as-salaam alaykum

I've been using Al-Kitaab and the Teach Yourself Arabic. They're not too bad! It does get a bit frustrating at times though especially when you are trying to teach yourself! The hardest thing I think is the lack of opportunities to practice speaking, but I think writing is easier somehow. I do recommend Al Jazeera children on sky channel 823, even though its for children its good for those listening skills, but it feels really good when I can actually understand some of what they are saying!How do you find writing in the arabic script? After a while I forget how to write in English!!

ila_liqaa'
Reply 76
Ahh that I can't help you with then as you already know the solution. Have you done your CME presentation yet?
Reply 77
Akeed hatkoon jeyyid! I can't remember what dialect that's in :s Basically, I'm sure it will be good :smile:
Good luck though! I admire all those who do Power Points. I did mine sans last year.
:pal:
SOAS sadly made learning Arabic quite unpleasant and draining, to the point that I will probably not return to study there after Christmas.

Quick Reply