The Student Room Group
Waterfront bar, King's College
King's College London
London

Racism at King's College London

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
I'll reserve judgement for now. I've never heard this about King's, so if these accusations are true, I'm hopeful it's more an anomaly than widespread.
Waterfront bar, King's College
King's College London
London
Reply 21
jiayi930829
God.

And I was thinking of applying there.

Should I?

I didn't make this thread to deter people from applying there! I created it to ask about the page's accuracy and people's own personal experiences regarding racism, if such racism *does* exist.
Is there any impartial evidence for any of these outlandish claims?
Reply 23
I've been at KCL for two year now (studying Law) and this is the first I've ever heard of this.

You'd be crazy to not apply because of this incident. I'm shocked to have come across such a story and I definitely think there is more to it than meets the eye.
duskflower
http://nhsexposedblog.blogspot.com/2009/03/international-backing-for-brave.html

- read the article, and then read the comments.

I think the comments give us 2 sides to the story!

xxx

why did you link this? the comments are terrible, add nothing to the debate :sigh:
Reply 25
kzimmer
What exactly happened to Virginia that was racist?

"the examiners daughter assaulted her by stamping on her toe"
"As someone who graduated from kings but 2 years ago I feel I can actually contribute strongly to this debate.

Lets analyse the facts

This Ms Jibowu has claimed racial discrimination. Every incident cited is about caucasian students. But hold on there, because caucasian british students in GKT medical school are actually in the minority. The asian populace here is huge. The black populace here is smaller - but that is the fault of black students and education, not the university. So that would technically make the white guys - especially the white boys, a minority.

Next she talks of the extended program. She feels she was pushed into it. But if she had the grades or ability they would have put her into the standard program. So obviously she failed to get into the normal course. However, unlike the people from outside london she was discriminated against and got into the new program.

When in the program the opportunities just didn't stop. She had access to far more tutorials and academic sessions than other students. And let us not forget the "Damilola Taylor Room" a custom built exclusive libarary/study room just for the extended medical degree students "http://www.kcl.ac.uk/news/news_details.php?news_id=434&year=2005"

Then we go on. On the placement to St Lucia...
Well I can tell you now there are about 10 placement slots on these lush placements abroad, and this girl bagged one. Doesn't sound like someone is discriminating against her to me. And as for the group sitting away from here on the plane. Well i know for a fact that there would be at most 3-4 other students on that placement. How many seats are there in one row on a transatlantic flight again? And why didn't this girl book her own seat? Hmmmmmmm

Then we get to the language of victimisation. She didn't fail her finals but was instead "we were both failed in the final." - implying a deliberate concerted act against her.

The complaint about the porter is bizarre. 90% of the ports in guys kings and st thomas are black anyway, so i'm assuming she is not accusing them of racially provoked assault or anything. Or is she after money? No win no fee perhaps?

And then we come to the fees "While the tuition for regular medical students resident in the UK is 12,500 pounds, with the EMDP students have to pay a total of 42,000 pounds.".
I'm unsure who she is saying pays these fees, because it certainly isn't the students. I don't doubt more money is required per student on this programme, but it comes out of the taxpayer pocket in the 'lets make up for poor education of certain minorities in the primary and secondary school years by giving extra opportunities in uni' fund.

O, and I'm pretty sure that the course only runs for 5 years, with the final year being common for all medical programmes in GKT/kings. Ergo everyone must meet the same standard in order to qualify as a doctor. Same final exams, same final OSCE.

I'm rather vociferous in my defence of GKT (the med school of kings) because i have actually been there. It is the most racially diverse med school in the country (one could argue leicster is, but its not diverse, just asian.). I'm appalled that someone would make such claims against an institute. And in what way does a racist comment by another student equal racism by the university. did she report it to the uni at the time? Did she tell any of her supervisors? Methinks not."

Sounds like her story's a bit baloney.
Reply 27
read this comment on that blog

I attend Kings and I am a black student on the EMDP programme. I can personally say that Virginia's claims are not true. As for exam papers, we ALL have to put our name on them. As for examiners falling asleep or not paying attention during OSCEs, every single medical student, even ones in the top 10% have had some bad experience with a marker. Out of the 8 who started, she is the only one not to repeat - another lie! There are lost of EMDP students who have failed and have to repeat or who were asked to leave, but there are also those who have achieve merits and first class intercalated degress. Black ones may I add! I had to repeat a year due to personal circumstances and the university has been extremely supportive. I feel as though Virginia is blaming the wrong people and reasons for her problems. Screaming racism with no reason to has reflected badly on the other black students still at Kings. I
Reply 28
The comments on the link from the FB page are quite reassuring - thanks!
mel0n
I didn't make this thread to deter people from applying there! I created it to ask about the page's accuracy and people's own personal experiences regarding racism, if such racism *does* exist.

Hope it doesn't.

Still thinking of applying there.:yep:

Seriously, though, I think this sort of thing exists everywhere. I just hope that it isn't TOO MUCH in KCL.
Reply 30
jiayi930829
Hope it doesn't.

Still thinking of applying there.:yep:

Seriously, though, I think this sort of thing exists everywhere. I just hope that it isn't TOO MUCH in KCL.

I attend Kings and I am a black student on the EMDP programme. I can personally say that Virginia's claims are not true. As for exam papers, we ALL have to put our name on them. As for examiners falling asleep or not paying attention during OSCEs, every single medical student, even ones in the top 10% have had some bad experience with a marker. Out of the 8 who started, she is the only one not to repeat - another lie! There are lost of EMDP students who have failed and have to repeat or who were asked to leave, but there are also those who have achieve merits and first class intercalated degress. Black ones may I add! I had to repeat a year due to personal circumstances and the university has been extremely supportive. I feel as though Virginia is blaming the wrong people and reasons for her problems. Screaming racism with no reason to has reflected badly on the other black students still at Kings. I
Lozza_00

Good.:yep:

I'm applying. =)
Reply 32
im shocked.

im black and i want to get into medicine
Reply 33
Lozza_00

thank u so much for ur post. i was actually scared. thank u
u're getting a rep from me :biggrin:
I would've thought KCL was one of the most ethnically diverse universities in London :dontknow:
Dont care.

EDIT: Why on earth would I have written this... urgh teenage angst. Strangely, thanks to the negger for brining it to my attention.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 36
Lozza_00

Erm, any particular reason why you posted this twice?

Also, your profile says you're 15... But you study at KCL... Is somebody lying?

IMO, all the things that Virginia claims seem to be too coincidental to be an accident. Toe stamping, "lost" exam papers, sleepy invigilator, referal to a psyciatrist? For no reason other than a complaint???!?

******* racist runts with a "c".
Reply 37
I doubt this sort of behavior from KCL...
Spent 3 years at King's. Had friends of various ethnicities. Was not aware of any of them ever expressing anything at all about racism. Ever. Half the profs were non-caucasian. My favourite prof was black and Jamaican... she certainly never mentioned any kind of racism. I can't honestly envisage how 'racism' is possible in an institution in London where caucasians are only just in the majority, except perhaps rare one-on-one instances between specifically racist individuals. It's certainly not an institution-wide problem!
Reply 39
perambulator
Spent 3 years at King's. Had friends of various ethnicities. Was not aware of any of them ever expressing anything at all about racism. Ever. Half the profs were non-caucasian. My favourite prof was black and Jamaican... she certainly never mentioned any kind of racism. I can't honestly envisage how 'racism' is possible in an institution in London where caucasians are only just in the majority, except perhaps rare one-on-one instances between specifically racist individuals. It's certainly not an institution-wide problem!

Thank you :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest