The Student Room Group

Pharmacy applicants 2012

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Original post by 16ARTER
How do i apply for work experience, because now i have decided a career in pharmacy i'm not sure what to do to get 1 week worth of experience.
Would i need a reference from sixth form? Also, would they allow students to work at the pharmacist?

thanks

I was quite lucky because I had a relative in pharmacy who got me the job, but you could always go in to independent pharmacies in your area and ask for experience. I'm not sure how you'd go about getting work experience with the global companies (Lloyds, Boots etc), I assume you would have to apply but I'm really not sure.

Yeah students can work, but we're not legally allowed to do jobs like dispensing, checking, selling OTC medicine etc. I do things like taking orders of stock, helping out with blister pack medication and general till work.
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by Sod1umm
Hello i want to apply for pharmacy but i havent got grade B at English language and Maths which is what most universities want and my teacher told me that they wont even consider me if i havent got the GCSE's i am resitting them but he said there is no point as my application will be already sent off is this true?? and what can i do if it is?

i thought you need a C grade for English Language at all Unis, unless your applying to Kings who require a B minimum at gcse english lang
Reply 42
I'm looking to apply for Strathclyde, Robert Gordon, King's College, and then it's just a mystery mix from there on. Whichever university's entrance requirements are most understanding of Scottish qualifications I suppose!
Reply 43
Original post by MattyC93

When are you resitting? You can send off your application with certain qualifications set to "Pending" because you're resitting them. You can always tell them at interviews about the situation!

im resitting maths in november double science in january and english in summer by then my application has gone so should i tell them in the interview about the situation?
Reply 44
Original post by Sod1umm
im resitting maths in november double science in january and english in summer by then my application has gone so should i tell them in the interview about the situation?

You can set qualifications to pending in UCAS Apply, so they will already acknowledge that you are resitting them.

I know one girl applying for engineering who actually wrote in her personal statement that she's resitting, I suppose you could say that resitting shows your determination to study pharmacy. It's possible that interviewers would ask about it, so you could speak about it then.
Reply 45
Hey everyone!! :biggrin:

On a gap year at the moment and applying for pharmacy 2012 entry at Nottingham, Bath, Reading, King's & Brighton....I think :p:
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 46
Original post by Andrii
Hey everyone!! :biggrin:

On a gap year at the moment and applying for pharmacy 2012 entry at Nottingham, Bath, Manchester, King's & Brighton....I think :p:

i am also taking a gap year and applying for pharmacy :smile:
Reply 47
Hey guyssss (:

I'm spending a third year at college from September to get A2 Biology (I dropped it after AS), but I got AAB in A2 English Lit, Psychology, and Chemistry, respectively. I will hopefully be doing a few days' work experience at a pharmacy in a mental health hospital in October, and I'm intending to apply to: KCL, LSOP, UEA, Hertfordshire, and - probably - Reading.

Really not looking forward to going through UCAS again though D: (I originally applied to study English Lit, but rejected all of my offers this summer xD)
Reply 48
Original post by marz bar

Where are you thinking of applying? :smile:
Reply 49
Original post by Andrii
Where are you thinking of applying? :smile:

I am thinking KCL, UCL, Cardiff and Bath. i Haven't decided on a fifth choice yet. what about yourself?
Reply 50

me too :biggrin:
Reply 51
I am thinking KCL, UCL, Cardiff and Bath. i Haven't decided on a fifth choice yet. what about yourself?

Nottingham, Bath, Reading, King's & Brighton :biggrin:
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 52
I got ACCD - maths, biology (just off of a B), ICT and chemistry respectively in my AS levels this year, i really really want to do pharmacy for 2012 entry but most of the universities require the minimum of a B in chem.
I got a C in coursework, C in the first chem paper and then an E in the second paper..I am going to retake this paper and the first paper to up to a B

do you think I will still have a chance of getting offers from universities such as Kingston Portsmouth Medway for instance?

please reply asap! thanks!
Reply 53
If anyone has any questions, I'm a 2011 pharmacy applicant. So I'm happy to help.
Applied to Manchester, UEA, Notts, Sunderland and Keele.
Firm is Notts, insurance Keele. Good luck!

I got ACCD - maths, biology (just off of a B), ICT and chemistry respectively in my AS levels this year, i really really want to do pharmacy for 2012 entry but most of the universities require the minimum of a B in chem.
I got a C in coursework, C in the first chem paper and then an E in the second paper..I am going to retake this paper and the first paper to up to a B

do you think I will still have a chance of getting offers from universities such as Kingston Portsmouth Medway for instance?

Reply 54
Original post by qwerty45

If you don't then medway, east anglia and a few other places come up in clearing...so if you can get the grades then u do have a chance.

You must get that chemistry to a B minimum. Good luck!
Reply 55
Hi all,

Have decided that i want to apply for pharmacy this year. (i mean jan 2012).

As ive left it a little late i have no w/e but hopefully i can get a week or two before jan - are there any specific areas anyone recommends or just a normal retail pharmacy?

Oh and i also got back by AS results - AAAB in bio, chem, maths and physics :smile:

Any help will be much appreciated guys :smile:
Reply 56
Original post by J.S
me too :biggrin:

have you decided on where you want to go? (:
Reply 57
Hey guys,

I have firmed Reading for 2011 entry. I applied to UEA, Hertfordshire, Brighton, Medway and Reading, and received offers for all of them despite not having any work exp. I also went to about a million open days, so if anyone wants advice where to apply, or just generally, feel free to ask :smile:
Reply 58
Original post by TimBlanchard
Hey guys,

I have firmed Reading for 2011 entry. I applied to UEA, Hertfordshire, Brighton, Medway and Reading, and received offers for all of them despite not having any work exp. I also went to about a million open days, so if anyone wants advice where to apply, or just generally, feel free to ask :smile:

Say I get a C in Chemistry overall next year, even through clearing will any uni's look at me if i get say BB in bio and maths?
Reply 59
Original post by TimBlanchard
Hey guys,

Were the interviews at UEA and Brighton difficult? What predicted and AS grades did you have?

Thanks

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending