The Student Room Group

Sheffield Medicine Applicants 2012

Poll

What UKCAT average did you get? (2012 Entry only)

Not seeing a thread for applicants to the 2012 programme, so here it is!

First on the agenda, what will the UKCAT cut off be this year? It'll probably be higher than last year which was 717.5, but it surely can't be too much higher!

Sheffield website:
http://www.shef.ac.uk/medicine/prospective_ug/applying/entryrequire.html

They estimate a UKCAT cut off of 2800 (700 average), but then again they estimated that last year and it was 717.5! We'll see how things play out, I rang them a few days ago and they said they will only know once all applications are in!
(edited 12 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
My prediction is around 735. Insane, I know. :/
Reply 2
Last year I got 712.5, which devastatingly was only 5 away from getting an interview!

On the Sheffield website it says they predict it to be 700 for 2012, but I think it is going to end up being about 730/735 like you say.

Hope I do well in the UKCAT as I would really like to go to Sheffield!
I was at a Sheffield medicine visit day a little while back and they said that they didn't think it would be higher than/as high as the 2011 cut-off. Apparently, as an odd 1-off, they were told to interview fewer people last year and so they raised the cut-off - they said it's more likely to be around 700 this year. They also said they couldn't be sure until they've got the results in though, so who knows :s-smilie:

Mine's coming up on Wednesday. Not excited for that.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 4
Original post by Stegosaurus
I was at a Sheffield medicine visit day a little while back and they said that they didn't think it would be higher than/as high as the 2011 cut-off. Apparently, as an odd 1-off, they were told to interview fewer people last year and so they raised the cut-off - they said it's more likely to be around 700 this year. They also said they couldn't be sure until they've got the results in though, so who knows :s-smilie:

Yeah, exactly. They don't know, so what makes them predict that it'll be ~700? I mean, the cut-off for last year is clearly stated to be 2870 and I guess 99% of applicants will see that. I just don't understand why anyone would risk applying to Sheffield with a score that's lower. I wouldn't anyway. I do wish it'll be a lower cut-off, though. :/
Original post by Panda89
Yeah, exactly. They don't know, so what makes them predict that it'll be ~700?

I don't know what the '10 cut-off was (around 690 I think?), but ~700 seems to be half way-ish between the '10 and the 'higher than it should have been' '11. Purely speculation though :tongue:

I think if I get 700 (I wish...) then I'll risk the application there. I'd rather apply and get rejected based on my score being below cut-off than not apply and later find out that my score was high enough.
Reply 6
I don't know what the '10 cut-off was (around 690 I think?), but ~700 seems to be half way-ish between the '10 and the 'higher than it should have been' '11. Purely speculation though :tongue:

I think if I get 700 (I wish...) then I'll risk the application there. I'd rather apply and get rejected based on my score being below cut-off than not apply and later find out that my score was high enough.

Yeah, it was 685 then shot up to 717.5. Oh well, we'll just have to see. I really would like to go to Sheffield. :smile:
Original post by Panda89
Yeah, it was 685 then shot up to 717.5. Oh well, we'll just have to see. I really would like to go to Sheffield. :smile:

As I said earlier though, that wasn't a natural increase like there normally is year-to-year.

I was really surprised how much I liked it! I hadn't really been considering it until I went on the open day and now it's definitely one of my choices if all goes to plan :smile:
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 8
I think Sheffield is an almost definite choice for me at the moment!

Apart from my UKCAT (why oh why did I not research the cut off more carefully...) they said my application was good on the feedback. So I'm hoping I'll be in with a decent chance :biggrin:

I don't reckon the cut-off will be quite as high this year. Or if it is, it seems unlikely it'll go up. There can't be enough people with much higher scores than 735!
I reckon its a safe bet to apply if you get a UKCAT of 740 or above. That puts A LOT of pressure on me seeing as my exam is next week...
Reply 10
Hello there hopeful Sheffield applicants :biggrin:. Sheffield might be one of my choices! Just waiting on my UKCAT on Wendesday :frown:. Scary stuff.
Reply 11
Think we could get a poll on the original post for UKCAT scores?
Reply 12
Original post by twelve
Think we could get a poll on the original post for UKCAT scores?

Will do, also I've got my exam on Thursday so I'll let you know how I do!

Have you done your UKCAT yet, if so how did you do? :smile:
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 13

I rang them earlier and asked the same question, they said they didn't know what the cut off would be this year (but it says on the website that they estimate it at 700) and the cut off was high in 2011 because they interviewed 100 less people than normal!
I think it all depends on the trend of applications from 2011. If they notice a trend of less students than usual, they'll probably lower the cut-off and raise the number of people they will interview for 2012. If they notice they are still receiving way too many applications then I believe they could raise the UKCAT cut-off. Really have no idea. But in general I think getting a UKCAT score >700 would be a good idea. I think anything under and applying to Sheffield could be quite risky. I think medical admissions probably don't know the cut-off yet because they are waiting for the results of the 2011 cycle and see how it goes before officially stating what is their cut-off for 2012.

And with upcoming UKCATs - good luck! To prospective applicants to sheffield - it's definitely a great uni and city. The school definitely has a great medical course and they are actually constantly trying to make it better. When I talked to the first years - their course had changed quite a bit from my year as the school does take on student feedback and it seems like they are improving the course.

Good luck!
Reply 15
Original post by hookguy
Will do, also I've got my exam on Thursday so I'll let you know how I do!

Have you done your UKCAT yet, if so how did you do? :smile:

Yep I did it the other week - 752.5 average.

Sheffield was my first choice last year, so I'm soo happy I'll actually get the chance to apply there again this year.
Reply 16
Original post by twelve
Yep I did it the other week - 752.5 average.

Sheffield was my first choice last year, so I'm soo happy I'll actually get the chance to apply there again this year.

Wow thats so good, well done!

Which section did you find the hardest? Is QR easier than in the 600Q book because it takes me so long to do those questions!
Reply 17
Original post by hookguy
Wow thats so good, well done!

Which section did you find the hardest? Is QR easier than in the 600Q book because it takes me so long to do those questions!

AR was by far the hardest for me - got 640 in that, but last year got 480. Amazing what practise can do! QR is much easier than 600Q. Read the UKCAT thread, they are all right about that :smile:
Reply 18
Original post by twelve
AR was by far the hardest for me - got 640 in that, but last year got 480. Amazing what practise can do! QR is much easier than 600Q. Read the UKCAT thread, they are all right about that :smile:

Oh ok thanks! Last year I got good scores in everything but DA which I've now practiced a lot more. Wish me luck for Thursday (I'll probably need it!)
Heya guys, I'm a reapplicant, (currently working as an HCA on my gap year and I was considering applying to Sheffield depending on how my UKCAT goes in a few weeks.

I was wondering how much importance Sheffield place on GCSE's, as mine are below average for medical applicants (A*A*A*AAAAABBB).

Also is the UKCAT the only thing they look at when deciding to give interviews? Do they look at work experience etc?

Thanks

Quick Reply

Latest