The Student Room Group

Sutton Trust Summer School 2012

Hey, i only found about this scheme a few days ago and was wondering if anyone has applied/going to apply/have participated in the summer school?

I'm considering applying for medicine. Bad choice i know with all the competition... but i'm a bit weary in applying. Not sure about this whole concept of being on my own and i'd have to fly over on my own too :frown:

Replies and what not would be much appreciated :smile:

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Hey, i only found about this scheme a few days ago and was wondering if anyone has applied/going to apply/have participated in the summer school?

I'm considering applying for medicine. Bad choice i know with all the competition... but i'm a bit weary in applying. Not sure about this whole concept of being on my own and i'd have to fly over on my own too :frown:

Replies and what not would be much appreciated :smile:
Reply 2
I applied to Nottingham, for Biology.
I think Medicine is competitive but it depends on how many of the eligibility criteria apply to you, so you may be more likely or less likely to get in depending on your circumstances.
The thing about being on your own is that most of the other people will be there on their own too, but everyone should be kind of similar as you all want to do the same thing and have similar backgrounds, i.e. parents didn't go to university.
Why would you have to fly? There are courses in universities that are spread out over the UK...
Reply 3
I've both been to a summer school when i was younger (wan't a sutton trust one) and worked on them and they are absolutely incredible. Don't let the idea of being on your own put you off, it's quite common for people to be pretty nervous and uncomfortable about being on their own when the summer school starts, that doesn't last long at all and by the end nobody wants to leave.
Reply 4
I did Sutton Trust a few years back now. What university are you wanting to do it at? I went to St Andrews and as you can see from my sig below, now attend the university. Whatever uni it is, it is an amazing scheme and you really won't regret it. You might be nervous and weary, but just grab the opportunity with both hands and you won't regret it :yep:
Reply 5
Original post by Ecosse_14
I did Sutton Trust a few years back now. What university are you wanting to do it at? I went to St Andrews and as you can see from my sig below, now attend the university. Whatever uni it is, it is an amazing scheme and you really won't regret it. You might be nervous and weary, but just grab the opportunity with both hands and you won't regret it :yep:

Hi! Well there's only 3 unis that have medicine as a course (Bristol, Nottingham and Cambridge) but i'm on a Duke of Edinburgh hike during Nottingham's so that's out the window. I'm considering applying for the Cambridge one but it'll be a hard one to get in to. Any medicine one would be :frown:

What course did you do? :smile: And could you tell me a little of what you did? :redface:

My school hasn't mentioned anything about this so i'm going to ask the careers teacher about it :biggrin:
Reply 6
I've applied for medicine at Cambridge :smile:
I've applied for English Studies at Durham.
Reply 8
Original post by GiantPanda
I applied to Nottingham, for Biology.
I think Medicine is competitive but it depends on how many of the eligibility criteria apply to you, so you may be more likely or less likely to get in depending on your circumstances.
The thing about being on your own is that most of the other people will be there on their own too, but everyone should be kind of similar as you all want to do the same thing and have similar backgrounds, i.e. parents didn't go to university.
Why would you have to fly? There are courses in universities that are spread out over the UK...

Well out of the 6 criteria, 4 apply to me but i'm sure others will have the full house.
There's only 3 unis that have medicine on their courses and i can't make one of them so it's either Bristol or Cambridge for me. I'm thinking Cambridge even though i wont have a hope of getting an offer from them for 2013 but even just for the experience would be good :smile:
I'm from Northern Ireland so i'd have to catch a plane over...
Reply 9
Original post by Mr Ben
I've both been to a summer school when i was younger (wan't a sutton trust one) and worked on them and they are absolutely incredible. Don't let the idea of being on your own put you off, it's quite common for people to be pretty nervous and uncomfortable about being on their own when the summer school starts, that doesn't last long at all and by the end nobody wants to leave.

Hiya! :smile: I was just wondering what happens when you arrive at the uni? Like are there people there to greet you or do you sort of gather in a group with other summer school people feeling a bit nervous? Thanks for the reply! :tongue:
Original post by LaydurrDude
Hi! Well there's only 3 unis that have medicine as a course (Bristol, Nottingham and Cambridge) but i'm on a Duke of Edinburgh hike during Nottingham's so that's out the window. I'm considering applying for the Cambridge one but it'll be a hard one to get in to. Any medicine one would be :frown:

What course did you do? :smile: And could you tell me a little of what you did? :redface:

My school hasn't mentioned anything about this so i'm going to ask the careers teacher about it :biggrin:

I know St Andrews did medicine when I was there. I did management/economics and psychology. I'll tell you the kind of things I got up to but it might be different at the different universities. I was there from the Sunday-Friday. Every morning (Mon-Fri) we had 2 lectures in our 2 subjects that lasted 1.5 hours each. They did like a different topic each day just so you could get a feel of the variety of topics you can study in that particular subject and they also chucked in some fun things in the lectures. In the afternoons they often had talks (finance, etcetc) or team building exercises along with some social fun things. In the evenings you really got a feel of what the social side of university life is like. The staff put on events every night (from films, ceilidhs, beach sports, etc) which was fantastic! Was also really good to be able to live in halls for a week, go to lectures and have the social side for a week.. it was like a week long visiting day really. I remember being really nervous when first going but really didn't want to leave by the end of it.
Reply 11
Hiya! :smile: I was just wondering what happens when you arrive at the uni? Like are there people there to greet you or do you sort of gather in a group with other summer school people feeling a bit nervous? Thanks for the reply! :tongue:

I can't speak for all universities, but on the ones I've been to/worked on, there will be summer school mentors there to greet you, show you to your room etc. Once you've got your stuff in your room, there will a place where everybody gets together to get to know each other, along with the mentors, who'll run icebreaker events, or just chat, or whatever.
Reply 12
Original post by Natalie21
I've applied for medicine at Cambridge :smile:

Hello! :smile: I'm thinking of applying there too for medicine. What subjects are you studying for A Level? :redface:
Hello! :smile: I'm thinking of applying there too for medicine. What subjects are you studying for A Level? :redface:

Biology, Chemistry, Maths, Geography, General Studies AS.

Critical Thinking A2.

And the EPQ

:smile:

What about you?
(edited 12 years ago)
Last year I did Sutten Trust summer school at Nottingham. It was so much fun! I was really worried about going and not knowing anyone! But it's fine because everyone is in the same boat and there are loads of social activities and free time to get to know people :smile: The reuniun is in April and we're all really excited for that too!
I applied but I ain't told my college that I have :frown:

Maths at Cambridge :woo:
Reply 16
I've applied for the Medical Sciences one at Bristol. I don't think I've got much of a chance but there's nothing to lose!
Reply 17
Original post by Ecosse_14
I know St Andrews did medicine when I was there. I did management/economics and psychology. I'll tell you the kind of things I got up to but it might be different at the different universities. I was there from the Sunday-Friday. Every morning (Mon-Fri) we had 2 lectures in our 2 subjects that lasted 1.5 hours each. They did like a different topic each day just so you could get a feel of the variety of topics you can study in that particular subject and they also chucked in some fun things in the lectures. In the afternoons they often had talks (finance, etcetc) or team building exercises along with some social fun things. In the evenings you really got a feel of what the social side of university life is like. The staff put on events every night (from films, ceilidhs, beach sports, etc) which was fantastic! Was also really good to be able to live in halls for a week, go to lectures and have the social side for a week.. it was like a week long visiting day really. I remember being really nervous when first going but really didn't want to leave by the end of it.

Thanks for telling me all about your time :smile: what time did you have to get up at in the mornings? I'm not exactly a morning person...

Original post by Mr Ben
I can't speak for all universities, but on the ones I've been to/worked on, there will be summer school mentors there to greet you, show you to your room etc. Once you've got your stuff in your room, there will a place where everybody gets together to get to know each other, along with the mentors, who'll run icebreaker events, or just chat, or whatever.

I've heard about the icebreakers thing. What exactly is it? Is it like full of team building things or just general chit chat with random people? :smile:

Original post by Natalie21
Biology, Chemistry, Maths, Geography, General Studies AS.

Critical Thinking A2.

:smile:

What about you?

You're mad doing so many subjects!
I'm doing Biology, Chemistry, Physics and Maths.
Did you do the January modules? :tongue:

Original post by Kaylaleigh
Last year I did Sutten Trust summer school at Nottingham. It was so much fun! I was really worried about going and not knowing anyone! But it's fine because everyone is in the same boat and there are loads of social activities and free time to get to know people :smile: The reuniun is in April and we're all really excited for that too!

People have been saying so many positive things about it! Is the reunion planned by yourselves or the uni? :redface:

Original post by 4mar_ar5en4l
I applied but I ain't told my college that I have :frown:

Maths at Cambridge :woo:

Don't you need to tell them? There's like a teacher's bit that they have to fill in... :tongue:
Reply 18
Original post by SWBL
I've applied for the Medical Sciences one at Bristol. I don't think I've got much of a chance but there's nothing to lose!

Are you wanting to do the medicine part of that? I'm thinking the same about not getting a place. Think it's like a 7:1 chance or something :frown:
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 19
I've heard about the icebreakers thing. What exactly is it? Is it like full of team building things or just general chit chat with random people? :smile:

It completely depends on the mentor, the time you have and the amount of people there. They can range from casual chit chat to team building things to random games involving remembering peoples names. I think I remember using giant jenga as an icebreaker once, that was fun.

Quick Reply

Latest