The Student Room Group

HELP with NHS bursary appeal!!!!

Hi...

can anyone offer advice or let me know similar stories with regards to having a NSH bursary rejected due to residency requirements!
In a nutshell... I have been travelling in Asia for the last 2 and a bit years on torist visa's and working holiday visa's. On the bursary application it asks if you have been resident of another country in last 3 years. To this i answered yes (i'm now thinking maybe i should have said no because this was seen as an extended holiday and my residency really was not interupted). The application does not leave much space to explain your circumstances. I was being honest and though nothing of it, that is until i received a decline email on saturday stating that I'm not entitled to a bursary and my fee's will ot be paid (i'm on a nursing undergraduate degree). I'm really starting to panic as i thought there would be no problems as i'm a british citizen always have been. i just went travelling which really strengthens me as a nursing candidate. I have the right to appeal and will be doing so. Can anyone please offer any advice on appeal process, share any similar situations or tell me stories that have been looked upon favourably ( I need some good news right now :frown: )
Thanks peeps
Reply 1
I'm afraid as you haven't been resident in the UK for the last 3 years then you won't qualify for any support from Stdent Finance or the NHS.

The right to roam for UK citizens applies only to within the EEA and Switzerland, and therefore an appeal is unlikely to succeed. You will have needed to have been "ordinarily resident" in England for the 3 years before your course starts. As you were away for 2.5 years it is unlikely this would be seen as "temporary". Eligibility for student finance is linked to residence, not nationality or citizenship.

Ordinary residence

You are ordinarily resident in the relevant residence area (which is either the UK and Islands or the European Economic Area and Switzerland, depending on the category and its qualifying conditions) if you have habitually, normally and lawfully resided in that area from choice. Temporary absences from the residence area should be ignored and therefore would not stop you being ordinarily resident.

If you can demonstrate that you have not been ordinarily resident in the relevant residence area only because you, or your relevant family member, were temporarily working outside the relevant residence area, you will be treated as though you have been ordinarily resident there

http://www.ukcisa.org.uk/student/info_sheets/student_support_england.php#intro
Reply 2
Thanks for the info Shani!

I'm obviously going to try to appeal as it's my only chance. I have a heap of stuff to send them and going to plead my case but it would seem i'm up the creek without a paddle :frown:

I'll keep you updated with the outcome.
Reply 3
Please do keep us updated. It'd be interesting to know whether or not they take your information into account and allow an appeal :smile: Good luck!
Original post by eager*to*learn
Hi...

can anyone offer advice or let me know similar stories with regards to having a NSH bursary rejected due to residency requirements!
In a nutshell... I have been travelling in Asia for the last 2 and a bit years on torist visa's and working holiday visa's. On the bursary application it asks if you have been resident of another country in last 3 years. To this i answered yes (i'm now thinking maybe i should have said no because this was seen as an extended holiday and my residency really was not interupted). The application does not leave much space to explain your circumstances. I was being honest and though nothing of it, that is until i received a decline email on saturday stating that I'm not entitled to a bursary and my fee's will ot be paid (i'm on a nursing undergraduate degree). I'm really starting to panic as i thought there would be no problems as i'm a british citizen always have been. i just went travelling which really strengthens me as a nursing candidate. I have the right to appeal and will be doing so. Can anyone please offer any advice on appeal process, share any similar situations or tell me stories that have been looked upon favourably ( I need some good news right now :frown: )
Thanks peeps

Because you've broken your residency in a non-EEA country, the decision to make you ineligible for funding was correct. However, if you can prove temporary residency, i.e your visas showing dates of return, work contracts showing that the work was temporary, you may have a chance of succeeding at appeal. If you can prove you still retained ties to the UK, this may also help, i.e. retained a bank account, parents have a house there, etc. Good luck with it!
(edited 12 years ago)
can anyone offer advice before I appeal on a late application for nhs bursary please.. my app arrived 12 days too late as I only got my place thru clearing and thus had to get all my evidence which took ages... would this be excuse enough??
hi im in the same position as you, i was just wondering if you managed to get the bursary after you appealed and if you have any tips?
hi, im in the same position as you and was just wondering if you got the bursary in the end after you appealed?
Reply 8
Original post by ellie12098
hi, im in the same position as you and was just wondering if you got the bursary in the end after you appealed?

I'm afraid the OP hasn't logged into TSR for over two years, so you're unlikely to get a reply. You might get responses if you start your own new thread.

As a pointer, if you've been travelling as a tourist, you will be considered "ordinarily resident" if you've maintained normal things in the UK whilst you were away - still registered with a GP and dentist, keeping a UK bank account, registered to vote at a UK address, that kind of thing.

If you've told them in your application that you *haven't* been resident for the last three years when you've done all of the above, then you've supplied incorrect information.

Quick Reply

Latest