The Student Room Group

Ultimate EPQ thread

Scroll to see replies

Reply 2560
Has anyone else done the GCSE version, Level 2 Project Qualification (it's almost the same as EPQ just it's worth half a GCSE instead of half an A level and the word requirements are less and you don't have to do footnotes)?
Hi guys,

I have decided to write an extended project relating to the subject I want to take at University (International Business). I don't want it to directly relate to the subject however I want to look at some issues that arise in the economy which can affect a business.

This is the angle I am looking at:

The Banking industry not lending to small start-up businesses (Due to being pesimistic about the future).
Leading to not as much growth in the economy (higher unemployment levels for example)
Then look at how start up businesses can boost growth in an economy and help ease recession
Why Banks should lend to small businesses

Its a bit muddled up but you get the overall idea. I'm just wondering if anyone thinks that this subject is 'interesting' enough to get a good mark on, I think I could write a good piece, I just hope the examiner doesn't fall asleep. I believe this is a current issue and may be relevant. Also has anyone else wrote an extended project and if so would you be able to give me any structure tips for the essay.

Any help would be much appreciated!

Thankyou! :biggrin:
Reply 2562
Ideally, the subject area is not really the most important part of the EPQ. It's more about how you conduct the research and present your dissertation. I know people who are doing EPQ's on subjects such as 'why teenage girls wear make up', so I don't think you have much to worry about. It's more about what interests you.

I'm currently working on an EPQ for Virtue Ethics, the best way to structure your essay is to start of with your abstract and introduction, then show a member of staff at your college or sixth form. Although the project is independent, you will need some sort of guide to go to after each stage of your EPQ. This could perhaps be a head of sixth form or college, or your subject teacher. Which exam board are you doing yours with? I'm doing mine with AQA, and their website has fairly helpful information on what the examiner is looking for. Also maybe your school is able to provide you with some previous projects or resources?

http://www.aqa.org.uk/qualifications/projects/extended-project-epq.php
I'm thinking of doing the EPQ; however I am struggling to come up with a decent question/investigation.

At uni, I'm thinking of studying law and I want to base my EPQ around science and law, so possibly ethics.

However, I don't know what question to study. :K:
If I cut this down (tl;dr):
I'm planning to do an computer program as an artefact. How would I do research for this? or is it a stupid idea (my supervisor mentioned lack of research)

Longer version: I want to do CompSci at uni and I'm attempting to do my project on compilers and writing one (probably a bit ambitious). I originally listed reference books and papers in my planning and my supervisor said it wasn't enough - so I've added that I'll attempt to contact a uni professor about this.

What sort of research do they mean for an artefact project? and what is the report on?
Because I requested it late, I'm going to be entered for the EPQ during the A2 cycle (I'm AS at the moment), so I'll probably finish working on it this summer.

Is there any point in my mentioning of it in my Personal Statement (beginning of A2) if it hasn't been marked yet?
Reply 2566
Original post by insomniacramblings
Because I requested it late, I'm going to be entered for the EPQ during the A2 cycle (I'm AS at the moment), so I'll probably finish working on it this summer.

Is there any point in my mentioning of it in my Personal Statement (beginning of A2) if it hasn't been marked yet?

you should mention it in your p.s especially because it takes so long to write!!!! i mentioned it in mine and i hadn't been given the mark for it :smile: actually i still don't have the mark for it. I think it will help because the unis can see you capable of doing things outside of the curriculum with very little support.
Reply 2567
Original post by coffee123
I'm thinking of doing the EPQ; however I am struggling to come up with a decent question/investigation.

At uni, I'm thinking of studying law and I want to base my EPQ around science and law, so possibly ethics.

However, I don't know what question to study. :K:

i don't know much about law etc. but how about something to do with punishment for crimes over a certain time period, you could mention ethics in that :smile:
Original post by Laura_93
you should mention it in your p.s especially because it takes so long to write!!!! i mentioned it in mine and i hadn't been given the mark for it :smile: actually i still don't have the mark for it. I think it will help because the unis can see you capable of doing things outside of the curriculum with very little support.

You're right. Especially if it's related to the course you want to take on!

Did you apply for 2012 entry? :smile:
so I'm putting together my final report now and it's 21 pages already without the project log and presentation slides, wow haha
I'm taking a gap year where I'll be working most of the time, however I would have loved to have the opportunity to do an Extended Project, as I haven't been able to whilst doing a levels. I know you can do A levels on your own, but how about EPQ? You usually need a supervisor so I've heard. Thoughts anyone?
Reply 2571
Original post by NoSpeakNewSpeak
I'm taking a gap year where I'll be working most of the time, however I would have loved to have the opportunity to do an Extended Project, as I haven't been able to whilst doing a levels. I know you can do A levels on your own, but how about EPQ? You usually need a supervisor so I've heard. Thoughts anyone?

I very much doubt it is possible/allowed as you would not be sufficiently supervised for the work to be authenticated as yours.
Reply 2572
So for the record of initial planning can I simply put in a timeline of what I found/done on "Your first ideas of research and development of your project"

For example
development
16/3/12- Created a spider diagram based on antibiotic resistances, this helped me enable me to identify topics that I can write and research about it bla bla bla...*insert spider diagram*.
Original post by NoSpeakNewSpeak

I think it depends what you are doing for your gap year. If you are staying close to your school/college then you may be able to ask a teacher there to be your supervisor. However it will require quite a lot of time for them, so they are unlikely to want to do it if they haven't had the experience before, so possibly only if it is an option where you used to study. But I think one main problem would be the presentation part, I did mine with everyone else in my year who was doing the EPQ, so it was all organised, if your alone doing this it might be more difficult.
Reply 2574
I HATE DOING EPQ!!!
I am so far behind and mine is in for next month. I am doing it on the popularity of Harry Potter and whether it will continue. :frown: I don't think I will get it done in time!
I'm doing an EPQ- extended academic essay. But I don't have a clue what paper work is required to go with this. What paperwork is needed? and what does it involve?
I'm so happy - essays in, presentations done, log books completed and it should all be getting marked this weekend.

LETS PAAAAARTAY!!!!!!!
:party:
Original post by coodooloo
I'm doing an EPQ- extended academic essay. But I don't have a clue what paper work is required to go with this. What paperwork is needed? and what does it involve?

You should get a log book to go with your work. Is basically is an almost diary which you complete after each meeting with your epq supervisor - so stuff like what you had done before the meeting, any comments from the supervisor and then any changes/clarifications you have made. You also have to write a reflection at the end and an initial idea thing at the beginning. It is all fairly straight forward but I recommend that you do it as you go along as it is really easy to forget the things that you have done if you leave it all to the end. Also, its much easier to do a half hour about the time of each meeting than have to spend three or fours on it right at the end.

Good Luck :smile:
Original post by Angelicus
You should get a log book to go with your work. Is basically is an almost diary which you complete after each meeting with your epq supervisor - so stuff like what you had done before the meeting, any comments from the supervisor and then any changes/clarifications you have made. You also have to write a reflection at the end and an initial idea thing at the beginning. It is all fairly straight forward but I recommend that you do it as you go along as it is really easy to forget the things that you have done if you leave it all to the end. Also, its much easier to do a half hour about the time of each meeting than have to spend three or fours on it right at the end.

Good Luck :smile:

Ok thank you for your response.
In regards to the presentation, what is it supposed to be about - is it actually presenting the findings of the essay, or is it the methods used to research?
I was also wondering whether the supervisors judge the essay in relationto particular boundaries or assessment criteria? (e.g: ao1, ao2 etc).

Thanks again:smile:
Hi,
Any suggestions on how to choose an EPQ title?
I am studying drama, media studies and English Lit.
Would love to choose something creative, maybe to link to my YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/user/HisLittleEmo) or written based.
Any ideas welcome thank you :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending