The Student Room Group

Cambridge MPhil Real Estate Finance

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
Original post by Skale10
Although I realise I am seeking an illusive answer,anyone wants to take a stab at this?

I think the requirements are significantly lower than those you state. First class is definitely not a requirement because if it was, they would certainly mention it on their page.
Reply 61
finance,

I agree, but I have a notion that even though it is not a requirement, an applicant that has a fair amount of chance to be offered a place has above the requirement standards..ofcourse.. this is my own assumption, I am just fishing for information from anyone knowledgeable :smile:
Reply 62
Original post by Skale10
finance,

I agree, but I have a notion that even though it is not a requirement, an applicant that has a fair amount of chance to be offered a place has above the requirement standards..ofcourse.. this is my own assumption, I am just fishing for information from anyone knowledgeable :smile:

Makes sense :smile: My guess is that many admitted students have a second class honours. The MPhil in Finance and MPhil in REF are competitors, and I would bet that if someone graduates at the top of their class, they will try to apply for the MPhil in Finance. Of course there are exceptions, but I think this is true for about 3/4 of applicants with a first.
Reply 63
Original post by finance
Makes sense :smile: My guess is that many admitted students have a second class honours. The MPhil in Finance and MPhil in REF are competitors, and I would bet that if someone graduates at the top of their class, they will try to apply for the MPhil in Finance. Of course there are exceptions, but I think this is true for about 3/4 of applicants with a first.

I don't know about the others, but I do have 3.86 GPA which is equivalent to a First class degree (and a rather strong, not borderline) in Economics from the US university. If what you saying is true I really should not worry too much :smile:

But surely there must be more people like me, after all - it is Cambridge we are talking about! And 35-40% offer rate is not as competitive as some other programs, but still means that 60-70% of applicants are rejected.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 64
Original post by janjanmmm
I don't know about the others, but I do have 3.86 GPA which is equivalent to a First class degree (and a rather strong, not borderline) in Economics from the US university. If what you saying is true I really should not worry too much :smile:

I really think it is, so I do believe that you have an excellent chance! Send me a message, I am from the US as well! :smile:
Reply 65
Original post by finance

Considering at some unis more than 20% of class have first class, second upper not gonna cut it even for REF.

For Finance you need to be in the top 5% minimum, for REF perhaps top 10% - 15%.

Grades do not matter as much as your class rank as applicants are compared with those from the same universities.
Reply 66
Original post by Goodsir
Grades do not matter as much as your class rank as applicants are compared with those from the same universities.

In theory, yes, but this is not true because 1) many schools don't rank students unless asked (in which case the ranking is unofficial) 2) Cambridge's application doesn't ask for your class rank.
Reply 67
Original post by Goodsir

In that case how are you going to compare between universities, esp. international? Discount based on ranking? It would lead to a very confusing system.

I am pretty sure they establish a cut-off grade, and then evaluate everyone who is above that based on personal statement, references and other factors. Class rank will be impossible to figure for someone who comes from obscure uni in China or Middle East. In case of the US applicants class rank is your grade, since grades are usually given depending on the class rank (A for top 10%, B for middle 40%, C for bottom 50% or thereabout in every class)
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 68
In that case how are you going to compare between universities, esp. international? Discount based on ranking? It would lead to a very confusing system.

I am pretty sure they establish a cut-off grade, and then evaluate everyone who is above that based on personal statement, references and other factors. Class rank will be impossible to figure for someone who comes from obscure uni in China or Middle East. In case of the US applicants class rank is your grade, since grades are usually given depending on the class rank (A for top 10%, B for middle 40%, C for bottom 50% or thereabout in every class)

I know for a fact in MPhil Finance grades count for everything. I mean everything.

They have been making decision for years, they know roughly the yardstick when it comes to grades and universities outside UK.
Reply 69
Original post by Goodsir
I know for a fact in MPhil Finance grades count for everything. I mean everything.

They have been making decision for years, they know roughly the yardstick when it comes to grades and universities outside UK.

I am not sure how making decision for years would necessarily help. Say you got someone from Cal State Long Beach with GPA of 3.8 in year 19**, you accepted/rejected him, next you get someone from that uni in 20** with GPA of 3.7, again you accept or reject him, does that make you an expert on Cal State Long Beach grading? Not at all, even if you accepted them and evaluated their performance - sample is not representative and gives you no idea bout the quality of Cal State Long Beach grading system, especially if those two come from different majors. There are several THOUSANDS universities of decent standing in the world, even 50 years of experience is not going to give you enough data to judge every single one of them on quality of grading, you may only get a very rough idea OR judge according to some sort of official ranking.
Reply 70
I am not sure how making decision for years would necessarily help. Say you got someone from Cal State Long Beach with GPA of 3.8 in year 19**, you accepted/rejected him, next you get someone from that uni in 20** with GPA of 3.7, again you accept or reject him, does that make you an expert on Cal State Long Beach grading? Not at all, even if you accepted them and evaluated their performance - sample is not representative and gives you no idea bout the quality of Cal State Long Beach grading system, especially if those two come from different majors. There are several THOUSANDS universities of decent standing in the world, even 50 years of experience is not going to give you enough data to judge every single one of them on quality of grading, you may only get a very rough idea OR judge according to some sort of official ranking.

Up to you whether or not to believe me but I've actually been through the programme. (couple of years back)

Not gonna say much more on this.
Reply 71
Original post by Goodsir
Up to you whether or not to believe me but I've actually been through the programme. (couple of years back)

Not gonna say much more on this.

Unless you were on admissions committee, I am not sure how was that going to give you any special knowledge about decision making process. No offense.
"Goodsir" are my chances of getting onto the REF course without a First nil? I'm quite gutted to find that out. I got a 2.1 in my Bachelors from a good UK university and currently doing a 12 month off cycle global markets internship at a bulge bracket bank on wall street.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 73
Original post by wallstreettrader
"Goodsir" are my chances of getting onto the REF course without a First nil? I'm quite gutted to find that out. I got a 2.1 in my Bachelors from a good UK university and currently doing a 12 month off cycle global markets internship at a bulge bracket bank on wall street.

I think a better question is why are you trying to get an MPhil in REF if you're interested in trading? It will add almost no value to this career path
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by finance
I think a better question is why are you trying to get an MPhil in REF if you're interested in trading? It will add almost no value to this career path

I want to move into real estate as I do not want to pursue a career in bonds. I've written a persuasive statement outlining why I want to switch into real estate and not continue on the path I am going on at the moment.
Reply 75
I want to move into real estate as I do not want to pursue a career in bonds. I've written a persuasive statement outlining why I want to switch into real estate and not continue on the path I am going on at the moment.

Aaaah, I see. In that case you should be set!
Original post by finance
Aaaah, I see. In that case you should be set!

Do they not insist on a First? Read on the website that they usually give out offer of a First.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 77
Do they not insist on a First? Read on the website that they usually give out offer of a First.

Personally, I think that if you have an otherwise outstanding application (ie personal statement and letters of recommendation) you definitely have a chance at admission. But of course, this is just personal speculation. I applied to another course myself (MPhil in Finance), and I'm clearly not one of the decision makers at Cambridge :P
Reply 78
Yeah, I got an offer for the course. I had a high 2:1, so I guess it must have been the PS and recommendations that swung it.
Reply 79
I'm not so sure grades are the be all and end all. I am sitting on a high first, or 4.0 equivalent, and I was rejected for one of my choices. There really isn't much more I could have done, not quite sure what they are expecting tbh.

Quick Reply