The Student Room Group

Modern studies Essay Help !!

Hi there can anyone help me with the following essay question as i am not sure on what to write :frown:

Question : the single transferable vote ( STV ) gives voters more choice and fairer represenation than the first past the post ( FPTP ) Discuss ( 15 Marks )

especially need help with a good introduction thanks
Reply 1
Original post by shadow2927
Hi there can anyone help me with the following essay question as i am not sure on what to write :frown:

Question : the single transferable vote ( STV ) gives voters more choice and fairer represenation than the first past the post ( FPTP ) Discuss ( 15 Marks )

especially need help with a good introduction thanks

Oh god, this was the essay I previously posted about which was in my prelim and I got 4/15 marks for due to only getting the intro and first para done, although I did reasonably well in the homework version of the essay! I also found it difficult to write an intro for it so had to check how mine was: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1924639

I will PM you a copy of my essay I tried to revise for my prelim! :thumbsup:
Reply 2
I don't have a copy of mine to hand but the main structure of it is comparing STV to FPTP, so like so:

INTRO

(advantage/fair) FPTP
Analysis (disadvantage/unfair) STV (related to FPTP point e.g. FPTP easy to use, STV complicated)

disadvantage STV
advantage FPTP

etc. 3 or 4 separate points is good.
There's another way of structuring this essay but I found this way was much easier to link the two together.

In general, finding statistics is SO easy for the voting systems essays. You can either use wikipedia which has detailed breakdowns of seats won and lost in both Scottish and British elections.

There are some good advantages and disadvantages on the Electoral Reform website on AMS, FPTP (here and here) and STV.
Reply 3
What I was and am currently being taught is this.

INTRO-State what you will include in this essay.
Then 3 paragraphs + of balanced advantage and disadvantage or a point and explain
Then conclusion

My essays went really well scoring on average 11-13 Marks except one on STV compared to FPTP in which I got 6 marks.

Make sure your essays are balanced

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending