The Student Room Group

Does anyone else hate life?

Scroll to see replies

I feel like this sometimes but there are so many things that make just being alive so amazing. The world is an amazing place and there are so many opportunities to experience it. You just have to make the most of it, it's not like you have anything to lose if you wouldn't really mind if you died.
I know exactly what you mean. It's this thought which puts me off having kids, why would i want to bring more people into the world to go through the same mundane *******s as the rest of us.
Original post by Jake9
Life is what you make of it, so make more of it!

Vihart :love:
Reply 43
I'm quite content with my life at the moment. Everything is going great apart from a few issues. Yes I do get times when I think life is crap but all the good times I have compensate for that.
life is beautiful and we are very lucky... i have had more than my fair share of ****ty things happen but still i think life is amazing :smile:
Reply 45
I do and I can tell you why in four words "Elements of Physical Chemistry"! Please let first year be over already!
Reply 46
Lifes a bitch but hey im not about to top myself :rolleyes:
I used to hate my life. Then I realised that yes, it's difficult, and yes, you do have to put in the effort to get what you want, but if you appreciate the little things then life is suddenly a whole lot more enjoyable.
OP you do sound kind of depressed, maybe talk to friends or family or your GP?
Some people in this thread are conflating 'life' with 'my life'. You can hate life itself and not hate your own life. Likewise, you can hate your own life and not hate life itself. Quite simple. Personally, I don't like life itself but I'm fine with my own life.

Life itself is very cruel - there are millions are people and animals dying all the time, leaving behind loved ones. Most of the time they die from horrible diseases or in horrific circumstances.
There are loads of people being murdered/raped/abused etc.
Most animals kill others to survive.
Every wild animal struggles to survive.
Even the beautiful things like tropical rainforests or mountains are filled with death all the way up from the plant life to a jaguar or an alligator.
The oceans are beautiful but also filled with death and our garbage that we chuck into it.

On the surface life can appear wonderful - sunsets/mountains/icebergs etc, but scratch the surface and you'll see a struggle for survival in which creatures either kill or be killed/die. In some places you don't even need to scratch the surface - 3rd world countries for example - where children beg on the streets and people live in squalor.

This world is not the one I would have chosen if there were other better options. Life is not on our side - we contantly struggle. I don't think the good things such as the beauty of a meadow or the sound of a symphony can ever be used as a legitimate absolution for all the repungent things that happen on this planet. Not even the most wonderful works of art or the wonders of the world can make me conclude that life itself is a good thing. And I think people who think it is a good thing aren't thinking about it enough or haven't scratched the surface.
Reply 50
Original post by Robz_3000
OK so this isn't a cry for help or attention, just wondered if anyone else thinks like is mundane and crap?

I have a fairly decent job, a degree, a good family, and a handful of people that would probably notice if I wasn't around anymore.

Yet I only ever think how much I hate life? Not in a suicidal way, but in a way that makes me think if i died today, i really wouldn't mind at all. Life is just an uphill struggle all the way. Why bother with it?

I hope this makes sense, I'm not depressed or anything like that.

I know that feel, bro - I'm really not sure why I'm alive. I somewhat resent my parents for deciding to create me - presumably I was just fine not existing at all but now I'm awake and basically suffering. As each year goes by I become physically and mentally weaker - already my hair is falling out, my skin is looking older, I'm becoming slightly more forgetful and not as quick-witted or sharp. I can only imagine the absolute horror of more advanced ageing.

It seems that most people distract themselves from this creeping decay by having children and thus perpetuating the suffering and giving a new generation the opportunity to get old and rot as well. Hurrah!
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 51
Original post by funsongfactory
OP you do sound kind of depressed, maybe talk to friends or family or your GP?

I really feel like I want to talk to someone. I suppose thats a reason for posting this in a forum.

However, I can't describe what is wrong. I can't put into words how much I see everything as mundane.

For example, I am currently in a pretty decent business role. I wake up for the morning commute, packed onto the tube to get to work. I only take a holistic view of everything- why bother working so hard in business? I spend long hours trying to grow the business and make it better, but I think why bother? If we didn't have businesses, we wouldn't be obsessed with money, we wouldn't waste the majority of our life in an office with mundane conversation about what we did at the weekend.

I hate the way everything feels. Little things like how my sinuses hurt after being in the cold, how my skin gets greasy after a long day of working, how my hair falls out of a place and I look a mess. Such trivial things, yet things that bring me down constantly.

Does that make sense?
Original post by PoGo HoPz
You have what most people would kill to have, and yet you hate life? :lolwut:

It's not as simple as that... I have good friends, good grades and a decent, albeit small, family. But I still don't "like" life.
You most probably have a neurotransmitter depletion. Check your diet and find out how you can naturally increase your dopamine levels.
Reply 54
Sometimes but not at the moment.
Reply 55
I don't hate life, but I don't care about death either.
Reply 56
I don't hate life itself. Life is what you make it. I hate the routine society is trapped in: education, job, marry, have kids, retire, die. That's the only thing I hate... and that's the one thing I'm avoiding.. and I'm pretty happy =)
Original post by Robz_3000
OK so this isn't a cry for help or attention, just wondered if anyone else thinks like is mundane and crap?

I have a fairly decent job, a degree, a good family, and a handful of people that would probably notice if I wasn't around anymore.

Yet I only ever think how much I hate life? Not in a suicidal way, but in a way that makes me think if i died today, i really wouldn't mind at all. Life is just an uphill struggle all the way. Why bother with it?

I hope this makes sense, I'm not depressed or anything like that.

Yeah, I completely understand that feeling, but I have been diagnosed with depression, so my agreement doesn't make your statement any more 'normal' lol :rolleyes:
Reply 58
Original post by Gary Barlow
I know exactly what you mean. It's this thought which puts me off having kids, why would i want to bring more people into the world to go through the same mundane *******s as the rest of us.

but gary barlow already has kids :mmm:
Bill Bailey says towards the beginning of one of his shows (Part Troll I think it is) something like this: 'Due to the laws of entropy, the universe will eventual implode in on itself, destroying everything and rendering all human endeavour ultimately pointless. Just thought I'd get the show in perspective'. Sums up life really. You wonder why you're jumping through hoops all the time, why you're wasting your life taking exams to complete menial tasks for the rest of your life. Very optimistic view but it's the truth really. Everything else is embellishment.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending