The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by KingMessi
Liverpool need a clinical finisher; Suarez is fantastic in the trequartista role; someone like an in-form Michael Owen would fit perfectly into Suarez's style of play. I think Suarez can still be a top player, but Liverpool need to build the side around him. In all fairness, his partner thus far has been Carroll, who has been a colossal failure.

I don't think it should be his role to lead the line anyway. He's a great player with an insane amount of talent who is an absolute gem, no doubt about that and we are very fortunate to have him. I am confident he can become a 20 goal a season striker. The attacking options he has playing with him are just not good enough at the moment. Woeful movement. Our big number 9 frequently engages in ball watching rather than thinking about how to get in the best positions to score. I almost feel worry for Suarez. He's expected to go past 5 players, round the keeper and then have it in him to finish it all off but most of the time he's ran out of space, time and breath and runs the ball out of play or blasts it's way wide or over the bar. Confidence is having a major impact as well, he struggles to finish off even the simplest of chances nowadays. The fact that Liverpools biggest problem this season has been scoring goals while at the same time have a 35m stirker on the bench is a huge testament to how bad of a signing Carroll is. Spending 35m we should have had a 30 goal striker which in turn would have made Suarez a 20 goal a season striker. What is Carroll on now? 3?
(edited 12 years ago)
Would someone on here please tell me how Liverpool have managed to spend something like 15m on Downing, 20m on Henderson, 20m on Suarez and 35m on Carroll?

How in God's name has that been allowed to happen?

I don't support Liverpool but jesus, you lot are knackered. You'll be lucky to finish top half.
Just bought my FA Cup Semi Final ticket :smile: Block 106 row 9...
Block 105!
Original post by Gob Bluth
It's the huge problem you get when a club legend like Daglish gets the reins. It should have always been temporary, and he would have lost no reputation, only gained if he did. You have to remember Liverpool have won a trophy (albiet Carling Cup) and in the semi finals of the FA Cup. It's not all awful. I mean, a lot will be forgotten in a sense if Kenny wins the FA Cup and manage to finish 7th. Though i struggle to see him being manager next season.

That's the thing. If Liverpool get a cup double, some will say it's not been a bad season at all.

but the league form hasn't been great at all and is a truer reflection of where Liverpool are currently at in terms of quality, ability...
Reply 5565
Original post by white_haired_wizard
That's the thing. If Liverpool get a cup double, some will say it's not been a bad season at all.

but the league form hasn't been great at all and is a truer reflection of where Liverpool are currently at in terms of quality, ability...
You're right. It's hard being a Liverpool supporter. I'd much rather be following Wolves or Coventry or Portsmouth or someone than have to put up with such a ****e season.
Original post by Rainy
You're right. It's hard being a Liverpool supporter. I'd much rather be following Wolves or Coventry or Portsmouth or someone than have to put up with such a ****e season.

Lawrenson was on BBC Radio 5live earlier this morning and he believes Dalglish won't resign, effectively isn't the resigning type.

What do you think will and/or should happen?? Of course it's not just Dalglish at fault here, but numerous players also...
Lawrenson was on BBC Radio 5live earlier this morning and he believes Dalglish won't resign, effectively isn't the resigning type.

What do you think will and/or should happen?? Of course it's not just Dalglish at fault here, but numerous players also...

I honestly believe if they dont win against Everton he will be asked to step aside privately. If he refuses then well sorry but he gets the sack.

Lawro is probably right, he probably isn't a quitter but the same would go for the likes of Wenger etc.

I'd like to think that he'll put the club's interests at the forefront.

I think Dalglish would be a perfect choice manager once the rebuilding has occurred. He gave everyone confidence when he first joined and made the club a happier place. Can see from cup competitions that he can fire up the players however he's not being able to turn it down/rebuild when the resources aren't great.

What we really need at the moment is a tactician who can get the most out of the sum of its parts.

I think he'll be moved into a backroom position in the summer.

The history books will show it as a good season but I think everyone around the club knows we need to improve.
Reply 5570

I think that, for much of the season, our football has been almost as turgid as it was under Hodgson. I think that the blame for that can be squared at quite a few people - not least Dalglish. We're playing stupid football; we look ill-prepared and tactically-bereft. Following a massive leap forwards when we sacked off Roy for Kenny from January to May, we've taken several steps back. Lucas, Spearing; Maxi, Meireles, Kuyt, Suarez to Spearing, Gerrard; Downing, Henderson; Suarez, Carroll has proved a massive step backwards. Carroll, Adam and Downing have been a colossal waste of money.

I'm not going to bother going through mitigating factors because, really, there are no excuses. The only positives - in my honest assessment - have been the emergence of Skrtel and Agger (who takes months to be sewn back together) and Henderson (who's intelligent but very green).

We oughtn't deflect too much attention away from the cup runs. It's been great to be in with a shout of winning something for the first time in ages. There've been some great nights. Most didn't really compare to Tuesday, Wednesday or even Thursday nights in Europe.

I think there needs to be a lot of honest reflection between now and the summer. Comolli needs a formal appraisal with FSG. The goalposts have moved for Kenny. When he came in, he needed to see us through a dark time; he needed to reverse the (mis)managed decline as seen under the Purslow-Hodgson duumvirate. That's now been ticked off. We played some excellent football in the latter half of last season. Our targets have now changed. We need to be competitive. Houllier and Benitez revolutionised our expectations in that regard - and I note that most TSR posters are now too young to remember us in the 90s. I guess football fans are more fickle than they ever were - and supporters of successful clubs more 'precious'.

It's been a shoddy season but there's been enough evidence to cast doubt over whether we can develop into credible title contenders under Kenny - over long- or short-term. I'm certain he's mulling that over himself. He doesn't deserve blind faith; no one man's bigger than the club and all that. If he's to continue next season then he needs to do so on merit. It'd be wrong not to consider credible successors - albeit not in a Hicks & Gillett Klinsmann-gate sense. Culling Dalglish and ending up with O'Neill, for example, is not a solution. Any such decisions should not take place until the season has ended.

The calls for Dalglish's head on here, in the media, in the pub etc make me smile. It's cut from the same cloth as the 'Fat Spanish Waiter' taunts, the lauding of Hodgson pre- and post-tenure, and the same cretinism that pervades professional football.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 5571
I honestly believe if they dont win against Everton he will be asked to step aside privately. If he refuses then well sorry but he gets the sack.
Case in point.
Original post by Rainy
Case in point.

I like kenny but he seems really out of touch, something needs to give at Liverpool, the owners cant keep throwing money away.
I think the squad need to be told that they're now playing for their future at the club. Obviously we went pretty flat after realising we won't get CL football but there's no excuse for the lack of professionalism. Even if we don't win, I'd like to see players putting in the effort. Newcastle's work rate was fair superior to ours yesterday and there's no excuses for that.
Reply 5574
Dalglish said when he took the job that he would step aside if it was better for the club. We'll see whether he stands by that.

I'd be happy to see Rafa come back, but I think the owners will be wary of bringing in a manager that has only recently left and is one that a number of fans are calling for. Pretty sure Henry took a swipe at him as well for the way money was spent, but I could be well of the mark there.

Still, there's plenty of top managers around. It just depends on whether we will be willing to pay the money to get them. Klopp, Emery, Bielsa would be on my short-list. Emery would be the most likely, seeing as Biesla seems to be building quite a force at Bilbao and will probably be one of the top choices to go to Barcelona. Klopp has performed wonders at Dortmund too.

This video sums up my feelings of the recent games as well, just replace play-offs with FA Cup.

Original post by Belle-x
Block 105!

You got the £60 ones then? I was SO tempted but I just couldn't bring myself to spend the extra tenner :mad:
Reply 5576
Original post by JoeK
Dalglish said when he took the job that he would step aside if it was better for the club. We'll see whether he stands by that.

I'd be happy to see Rafa come back, but I think the owners will be wary of bringing in a manager that has only recently left and is one that a number of fans are calling for. Pretty sure Henry took a swipe at him as well for the way money was spent, but I could be well of the mark there.

Still, there's plenty of top managers around. It just depends on whether we will be willing to pay the money to get them. Klopp, Emery, Bielsa would be on my short-list. Emery would be the most likely, seeing as Biesla seems to be building quite a force at Bilbao and will probably be one of the top choices to go to Barcelona. Klopp has performed wonders at Dortmund too.

This video sums up my feelings of the recent games as well, just replace play-offs with FA Cup.

I really like Bielsa but he would be completely out of his comfort zone over here. He doesn't speak a word of English, makes up his own words in Spanish and would just not sit well at all in the corporate environment of either Liverpool or the PL.
Reply 5577
Original post by Mess.
I really like Bielsa but he would be completely out of his comfort zone over here. He doesn't speak a word of English, makes up his own words in Spanish and would just not sit well at all in the corporate environment of either Liverpool or the PL.

This is true. He's just a bit mental in general, really :biggrin:
Bah I wish I could get hold of some FA cup tickets :frown:
Reply 5579
Original post by JoeK

Dalglish unfortunately has said a lot of things this season which haven't materialised. The main one being that he wouldn't play players because of their name or signing fee, he'd pick the team based on form. This has been one of the biggest farces we've had to watch this season

Latest