The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 80
Original post by billydisco
No, they should just be made an example of and not given extravagant resources.

We need to set an example that failure is not an option. This does not mean everyone has to get a job, but if you haven't got a job you should at least have the qualifications ready for when the economy recovers!

We've got about 500,000 teenagers with two D grades in GCSE Sociology and Construction Studies and an E grade in A Level Film Studies..... !! It's not really going to help the economy much (or their employment).

To me, that's a moderate solution. By removing them from the country, that's setting a minimum requirement, meaning no failure.
Reply 81
Not a clue
>More debt
>****tier public services
>Worse NHS
>Higher taxes
>Less liberty
>More laws
>More regulation
>More immigrants
>Lower sentence times for criminals

Tory controlled County Councils:
>Better education
>Better roads
>More efficient public services
>Lower taxes
Reply 83
Because the British public are morons who don't know what's good for them.

Democracy doesn't work because it's a system that allows two clueless morons to outvote an intellectual. I can't believe people have voted Labour... have they honestly forgotten how they drove the country to ruin when they were last in power?
Reply 84
Original post by Joe909
Possibly the worst example I've ever heard. We are talking directly about the number of UK voters: ~50 Million. The world has nothing to do with it.

I was talking about how the OP seems to think everyone should believe the same things he does, how arrogant he is behaving etc.

Your comment makes no sense though, example of what? I was making a comment :s
Original post by NGC773
>More debt
>****tier public services
>Worse NHS
>Higher taxes
>Less liberty
>More laws
>More regulation
>More immigrants
>Lower sentence times for criminals

Tory controlled County Councils:
>Better education
>Better roads
>More efficient public services
>Lower taxes

under the tories:
-taxes have gone up
-More people can not afford to go to uni
-NHS has not improved...and I doubt these new reforms will do much good
-Immigration is tougher meaning that British universities will lose money as international students struggle to obtain visas
-in regards to the lower sentences under labour...there are teenagers going to jail for 2 years for stealing t-shirts during the riot...so perhaps in those cases, more lenient sentences wouldn't be such a bad thing....
-No change in laws, regulation and liberty.

I would say that the conservatives are good for rebuilding the Nation's wealth...but apart from that, its VERY easy to see why people vote labour.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 86
It's all so cloudy I have no idea which party to vote for, so I don't vote. It would take too much time for me to actually get in to politics and get my own idea of what the different parties would actually do. I feel that too many people vote without having a proper idea of what they're vote is doing. For example, I would want a much better understanding of economics before I decided to vote either way.
Original post by Zeffy

Democracy doesn't work because it's a system that allows two clueless morons to outvote an intellectual. I can't believe people have voted Labour... have they honestly forgotten how they drove the country to ruin when they were last in power?

Yeah, **** democracy! Let one 'smart' guy tell us what to do.

And you're one of the intellectuals, right? :rolleyes:
Reply 88
All political parties are s***.

I guess people just vote for a change, hoping it will be better.
Original post by OpenArms
It would stop people voting so they could keep receiving their benefits. It would create a fairer society in which people would think twice about being so lazy and actually putting something back into society!

Except of course, being on benefits =/= being lazy.

Original post by Iron Lady
Typical response from the likes of you.

Wait - do you have an issue with my opinion that people should actually have a say on how the country they live in is run? :lolwut:
Reply 90
The Conservative government have to stop blaming the last lot for the recession. It was a global economic crisis that hit the USA hardest, and yet they are growing again and we're in a double dip recession. That's Osborne's fault. Their plans to take money from the front line and give it in tax breaks to the highest earners only makes sense when the economy is flourishing and people have jobs. Otherwise it's just cruel. It makes me want to weep that George Osborne is my MP, and that my grandparents think the sun shines from him. His economic policies punish the poor in our society for the crime of being poor. IMO, that's criminal.
And that's why I vote Labour.
Reply 91
Original post by Zeffy

'clueless morons' have just the same right to decide who rules the country as 'intellectuals'.
Original post by Alofleicester
Wait - do you have an issue with my opinion that people should actually have a say on how the country they live in is run? :lolwut:

I do, people who do not contribute to it but they have the physical/mental ability to should be stopped from voting.
They are jealous of the successful and desire to have everything they have but have no desire to do the work they have.
Original post by Joe909
Posh = Wealthy = Worked Hard = Didn't slack.

You have to be a complete moron to completely ignore the role of the environment i.e. socioeconomics when you think about why some people are wealthy.
Original post by Zeffy

Democracy is the worst form of government, except all the others that have been tried.
Reply 96
If I were to vote on a purely self interested basis I would probably have to be a Conservative, because my family are comfortably middle class and by association it would benefit me to support them.
In the elections last year, I voted Lib Dem - a party I joined because I believed, as a prospective student that they would be the best for my interests - and I was wrong. I don't think they sold out though, I think they were forced into a difficult position and they had to choose the lesser of two evils. More people had voted Blue than Red, so it made sense for the Lib Dems to follow.
But the question the OP asked has a very simple answer. I'm motivated to vote for Labour because I have a social conscience, and I think that they way that the Tories are pillaging front line services to give tax breaks to the super rich is one of the cruellest acts of punishment of the poor, for the crime of being poor, imaginable. And right now, Labour are the only viable alternative.
Plus, Labour Students are damned awesome!
Original post by Sheikh {/} Nykaa
under the tories:
-taxes have gone up
-More people can not afford to go to uni
-NHS has not improved...and I doubt these new reforms will do much good
-Immigration is tougher meaning that British universities will lose money as international students struggle to obtain visas
-in regards to the lower sentences under labour...there are teenagers going to jail for 2 years for stealing t-shirts during the riot...so perhaps in those cases, more lenient sentences wouldn't be such a bad thing....
-No change in laws, regulation and liberty.

I would say that the conservatives are good for rebuilding the Nation's wealth...but apart from that, its VERY easy to see why people vote labour.

I could list hundreds of tax increases made by Labour when they were in Government. The tories are far less proportionally and are actually cutting taxes.

People can still get a loan to go to university. Nothing has changed. The new system means you actually pay less over a longer period.

Far too early to say how the NHS is panning out. But look at the NHS in Wales which is completely controlled by Labour in Cardiff Bay. Theres greater cuts, waiting times are a LOT longer than England, massive waiting times, huge bed shortages.

Theres no caps on educational visas.

Sentences are always longer under the tories. Its a shame they arent following UKIPs policy of doubling prison population.

They have scrapped a lot of pointless regulation and health and safety laws which came in under labour
Original post by escape
The Conservative government have to stop blaming the last lot for the recession. It was a global economic crisis that hit the USA hardest, and yet they are growing again and we're in a double dip recession. That's Osborne's fault. Their plans to take money from the front line and give it in tax breaks to the highest earners only makes sense when the economy is flourishing and people have jobs. Otherwise it's just cruel. It makes me want to weep that George Osborne is my MP, and that my grandparents think the sun shines from him. His economic policies punish the poor in our society for the crime of being poor. IMO, that's criminal.

What the tories are blaming Labour for is the huge debt they have saddled us with. Even when times were good and the economy was prosperous we were overspending and borrowing tens of billions. If they had some responsibility and didnt over spend and actually saved when times were good, the debt of bailing out the banks would be been managable and we wouldnt have to cut so hard
Original post by escape

Well, to be honest, no one blames the recession on Labour, but we do blame them for doubling the national debt during the boom years, for claiming to have ended 'tory boom and bust', for squeezing the productive part of the economy to fund an unprecedented expansion in the unproductive part, for signing the Lisbon treaty without consulting the electorate (in the process breaking a manifesto pledge and shackling us to the sinking ship of the EU), for increasing the management staff in the NHS at 3 times the rate of the clinical staff and for increasing taxes on the working poor while increasing benefits for the unemployed.

The tax breaks for high earners are designed to encourage them to provide more jobs (ignoring the dubious evidence that the 50p tax was even covering the cost of collection), the idea being to build an economy based on the private sector, rather than government borrowing. The double dip, shallow as it is, comes largely from the Eurozone crisis and our dependence on EU markets.

Latest

Trending

Trending