The Student Room Group

programming language for A2 aqa coursework

hello i was wondering if anyone could recommend any programming languages for me so that i can do my best to learn it over the summer.
Reply 1
Original post by Pinoley
hello i was wondering if anyone could recommend any programming languages for me so that i can do my best to learn it over the summer.

There are loads of possible languages.
What language did you learn for AS? Why not use that one?

What langauges are available at your school? If you choose a different language will they let you use it?
What are you planning to do for your coursework?
No one can recommend a language without knowing all this.

Why not concentrate of doing well in the AS first?
Reply 2
Original post by sagederby

There are loads of possible languages.
What language did you learn for AS? Why not use that one?

What langauges are available at your school? If you choose a different language will they let you use it?
What are you planning to do for your coursework?
No one can recommend a language without knowing all this.

Why not concentrate of doing well in the AS first?

We have learnt pascal - though i am not too keen on using it because if i intended to do computing at uni i would like to have learnt a good prgramming language such as C, C# or objective - C. Yes they let you choose any language you want in the knowledge that you could use it well - hence why I wish to learn it over the summer. I just want to know the benefits of certain program's. I was expressing an interest
Reply 3
I would do Java. First year CS will most likely be Java as well. C tends to come after.
Reply 4
I would have thought that your teacher would have a language that they would prefer to teach your class in for the purposes of the project, and that you would be best off finding out what that is and learning it so as to have the best use of the help your teacher has to offer. If you learn Java and your teacher knows VB, you're basically on your own.
Reply 5
Original post by Pinoley
We have learnt pascal - though i am not too keen on using it because if i intended to do computing at uni i would like to have learnt a good prgramming language such as C, C# or objective - C. Yes they let you choose any language you want in the knowledge that you could use it well - hence why I wish to learn it over the summer. I just want to know the benefits of certain program's. I was expressing an interest

Pascal is a well respected language which was designed for teaching the fundamentals of programming.

Using Pascal hopefully means that you haven't picked up too many bad habits that universities complain about.

Universities teach a wide range of languages. I learnt 5 different languages and I did a Maths degree not Computer Science.

Choosing a language based on what you might learn at uni is not really the way to go. You want to be sure that you have support if things go wrong. If you don't like Pascal you could try the object-oriented version or Delphi. Same language but prettier and more up to date.

Look at what other languages your teacher can support and make a decision based on that and what you want your program to do

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending