The Student Room Group

Food glorious food aqa anthology english lit/lang unit 1 spec b 2012

AS LEVEL:

Please please please PLEASE would someone help!
I can't find anything online for this anthology as our year is the first year to do this anthology. In previous years, it was 'travel'. I am finding it really difficult to get anything higher than a B- in my essays, and my exam is in two weeks!

My coursework is at a High A so that is fine (40% of my grade), but i just can't seem to get these essays right!

All my teachers keep saying is closer analysis is needed, but how?! If anyone has any model answers or anything, that would be so helpful. thankyou :biggrin:
(edited 11 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I need help with this also
Reply 2
Perhaps she is referring to language analysis. Are you analysing specific language choices in each paragraph? And do you know the appropriate terminology regarding it?

I did this exam last year. Indeed, it was on travel. I have an A* essay somewhere - if you are desperate, I could try and type it up for you.
Reply 3
that would be soooooo helpful, thankyou!
Reply 4
Original post by maleeha1
AS LEVEL:

Please please please PLEASE would someone help!
I can't find anything online for this anthology as our year is the first year to do this anthology. In previous years, it was 'travel'. I am finding it really difficult to get anything higher than a B- in my essays, and my exam is in two weeks!

My coursework is at a High A so that is fine (40% of my grade), but i just can't seem to get these essays right!

All my teachers keep saying is closer analysis is needed, but how?! If anyone has any model answers or anything, that would be so helpful. thankyou :biggrin:

Hey i have many notes etc that will help you. I am also doing the English exam and its this wednesday and i am dreading it! would you like me to mail you some things? im new to this and have no idea how to use it? x
Reply 5
Original post by MissK.
Hey i have many notes etc that will help you. I am also doing the English exam and its this wednesday and i am dreading it! would you like me to mail you some things? im new to this and have no idea how to use it? x

Can you send them to me also please?
Reply 6
Original post by Jamiesonn
Can you send them to me also please?

Yes i will. Can you please tell me how to though? im only knew to this.
thank you:smile:
Reply 8
Original post by MissK.

Why don't just email me the notes, to [email protected]
Reply 9
Original post by gemnomnom
Perhaps she is referring to language analysis. Are you analysing specific language choices in each paragraph? And do you know the appropriate terminology regarding it?

I did this exam last year. Indeed, it was on travel. I have an A* essay somewhere - if you are desperate, I could try and type it up for you.

Hey would it be possible if you could just quickly type me up an essay plan - how to structure it and what to include. It would be ever so helpful! Thank you x
Reply 10
I got 54/64 for question B in our mock but we had our anthologies fully annotated so it's gonna be pretty different in the exam so I'm a little worried!
Reply 11
Original post by MissK.

hi, please could you just email me on [email protected]
id appreciate it ever so much, thankyou x
Reply 12
My teachers have told us to GCAPS our chosen texts.
Reply 13
What is GCAPS?
Reply 14
Original post by MissK.
What is GCAPS?

Genre
Context
Audience
Purpose
Structure & style

and one of my teachers went to an examiner meeting the other day and said that candidates are usually scared of writing about grammar and they like to award marks for grammar so maybe we can try to pick things out about grammar in our texts (like complex sentences)
Reply 15
I know but i just dont know how to apply my knowledge. Do you have an example of an essay that i could take a look at if you dont mind?
Reply 16
Original post by MissK.
I know but i just dont know how to apply my knowledge. Do you have an example of an essay that i could take a look at if you dont mind?

I'll scan my 54/64 mark question B and PM you tomorrow when I've finished my first exam :smile:
Reply 17
Thank you:smile: can you please give me it before the actual English exam which is one Wednesday. So I have a basic idea on what to write about in the exam. I'd really appreciate it xxxxxx
Reply 18
I'm really not looking forward to this exam!
Does anybody have any model answers that i can see?

Quick Reply

Latest