The Student Room Group

22.05.2012 - AQA GCSE English Literature Exam - HELP!

Scroll to see replies

does anyone know what question came up on OMAM january 2012 so we can definetly rule it out?
Reply 21
Original post by science-oliver
does anyone know what question came up on OMAM january 2012 so we can definetly rule it out?

How does Steinbeck use details in this passage to present the bunkhouse and its
inhabitants?
and then Part (b)
In the rest of the novel, how does Steinbeck present the lives of ranch workers at that
time?
How many sides should we aim to write for each part of section A and for the whole of section B? thanks
Reply 23
Original post by sophieking
Anyone doing An Inpector Calls?
I'm quite confused as to what they would ask..hope it's nothing stupid which would confuse me IN the exam!

Also doing Of Mice And Men..I've been going over the context but I'm quite stuck :frown:

Any thoughts on how to make them A/A* essays?

I'm doing exactly the same books as you are! :biggrin: On An Inspector calls from all the past papers one question is on a character and the second on a theme(I think). I hope they don't ask something on the smaller characters because I will get stuck :mad: A question on Sheila has already been asked in a paper so it won't be on her I don't think, which is a shame as she's a nice character to write about :frown: The york notes are quite useful for both books! A chief examiner from AQA came into my school and said the main focus should be on language analysis, also that we should be offering our views and speculate.
Reply 24
Original post by sophieking
Anyone doing An Inpector Calls?
I'm quite confused as to what they would ask..hope it's nothing stupid which would confuse me IN the exam!

Also doing Of Mice And Men..I've been going over the context but I'm quite stuck :frown:

Any thoughts on how to make them A/A* essays?

I'm doing An Inspector Calls, yes. As someone else said, usually one of the questions is about a character. My teacher thinks there's a good chance this paper will feature a question on Eric. The other question is usually far more general and asks about a theme or some kind of development through the play.

Everybody seems to be doing Of Mice & Men. Is anybody doing To Kill A Mockingbird? The top two sets do To Kill A Mockingbird in my school and the other three do Of Mice & Men. I'm nervous for the To Kill A Mockingbird questions because I'm never too sure where to get quotes from since the book is pretty thick. The first question is usually okay because they provide the passage, but the second one is harder because you're expected to find quotes from different stages in the book, which is actually quite difficult, given the time constraints.
in of mice and men can anybody explain to me the link between when George calls Lennie a 'poor bastard'

And also when Candy near the end calls either curley's wife a 'poor bastard' or is he referring to lennie as the 'poor bastard'

Can anyone tell me the link and why steinbeck does this,

if you do i am eternally greatful because it's proving difficult for me to understand :biggrin:
Reply 26
well I'm doing Animal Farm and Macbeth for my final english lit exams and i cant get hold of any A* answers so it would help if anybody's got some - I also did the unit 1 in january 2012 - gotta stress this guys but keep an eye on the time and if you want the highter marks give your own opinion,embed quotes.

A good system to use which Ive created is P E E I C L - Point,Evidence,Explanation, Further Interpretations (of the quote,if you can think of any),Context and finally how it links to the question :smile:

Hope it goes well guys and I appreciate your answers to my earlier question :smile:
Reply 27
Original post by krishman
well I'm doing Animal Farm and Macbeth for my final english lit exams and i cant get hold of any A* answers so it would help if anybody's got some - I also did the unit 1 in january 2012 - gotta stress this guys but keep an eye on the time and if you want the highter marks give your own opinion,embed quotes.

A good system to use which Ive created is P E E I C L - Point,Evidence,Explanation, Further Interpretations (of the quote,if you can think of any),Context and finally how it links to the question :smile:

Hope it goes well guys and I appreciate your answers to my earlier question :smile:

How did you do in unit 1? (Language right?)
Reply 28
I am doing Of Mice and Men and An Inspector Calls, I feel underprepared for this exam!
Reply 29
Original post by recurring500
How many sides should we aim to write for each part of section A and for the whole of section B? thanks

Quality > quantity. Even the best A* answers can be about 3 paragraphs long.
Original post by krishman

what did you get in unit 1?
anybody know the link for A* answers that we use as an example/ can yuo please message mt the link??

thanks, im doing of mice and men and an inspector calls

if any has any good tips for conflict poems that will be helpful also. what poems do you think are coming up on the higher paper??
Reply 32
im on the same boat as you..but im doing Women in black instead of inspector calls.
i need help on WOMEN IN BLACK!!
also anyone got any advice for character and voice poetry? im doing a resit because i was 6 marks of an A
Reply 33
I'm so scared about this exam.. i'm doing the crucible and to kill a mockingbird! The timing is what annoys me most and I always struggle to plan my answers. Any tips on how to structure the answers and also how much time should i spend planning? :s-smilie:
Reply 34
I just got a B in unit 1,i didnt use the system for unit 1 though so i want an A* to get an A overall as my coursework was a B :smile:
Reply 35
Hey guys,
I'm also doing the Lit exam on Tuesday, just wondering what your teachers have told you about the structure of answering part A & B: I'm doing OMAN and some teachers have said to write both parts as one essay (i.e. one answer combining the section of text and the context) and some have said to answer them completely separately.
What have your teachers said and what are you going to do in the exam?
Cheers!
Reply 36
oh lord, is there actually a chance of Slim coming up in the exam! how would you relate him to the social, historical context?
Original post by Navdeep
Hey guys,
I'm also doing the Lit exam on Tuesday, just wondering what your teachers have told you about the structure of answering part A & B: I'm doing OMAN and some teachers have said to write both parts as one essay (i.e. one answer combining the section of text and the context) and some have said to answer them completely separately.
What have your teachers said and what are you going to do in the exam?
Cheers!

hey
my teacher said that for part a, pick out at least 3 points and do PEAs (point, give evidence - the quote, and then analysis for language and sturcture)
then for part b - as many PEAs as possible, pick quotes from elsewhere in the book because you have to do it as the book on a whole and relate to context
hope that helps :smile:
Reply 38
Original post by cardigansandjeans
hey
my teacher said that for part a, pick out at least 3 points and do PEAs (point, give evidence - the quote, and then analysis for language and sturcture)
then for part b - as many PEAs as possible, pick quotes from elsewhere in the book because you have to do it as the book on a whole and relate to context
hope that helps :smile:

Thanks (:
So you're answering it as two separate questions, not one whole essay?
Good luck for the day!
Reply 39
Any A/A* tips for Inspector Calls?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending