The Student Room Group

Official Vacation Scheme Thread 2013 GET ON IT EARLY!!!

Here we go!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Even for this forum, this is too early.
Reply 2
Original post by Barberette
Here we go!

Talk about keen, exams aren't even over yet.
Reply 3
Bump. Although i am a lawyer :biggrin: already made a list of dates they go live AND stuff i need to get done before then e.g. cv and stuff like that!

So nervous for next year!!!
:lol: since when were internships in investment banking called 'vacation schemes'?
Reply 5
Here we go!

What uni/ course do you study ? :smile:

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Reply 6
Here we go!

lolz wrong forum
Reply 7
Original post by Trixy.Sam
What uni/ course do you study ? :smile:

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App

Hey I study law at the University Of Warwick.
How about you?
Reply 8
woahhh this is early, vac scheme haven't even commenced for this summer yet! and TC applications don't close until July!
Reply 9
Here we go!

Woo :biggrin:

Although I agree this seems a little early - a few of last year's Vac Scheme applicants are still waiting to hear back!
I don't think it's too early! Here are some tips for vac schemes- try and get on a few Open Days this summer, if it's not too late. Also, try to get on the Bright Commercial Law Network event in September. Good luck, it'll be worth it in the end!
Reply 11
Original post by suffocation1992
I don't think it's too early! Here are some tips for vac schemes- try and get on a few Open Days this summer, if it's not too late. Also, try to get on the Bright Commercial Law Network event in September. Good luck, it'll be worth it in the end!

How important are open days if you think about getting a vac scheme? I mean, is it mainly a good opportunity to network or is there something else beyond it? Also, being a non-law grad: is networking as important in law as in investment banking?
Original post by lilys
How important are open days if you think about getting a vac scheme? I mean, is it mainly a good opportunity to network or is there something else beyond it? Also, being a non-law grad: is networking as important in law as in investment banking?

Hi, it's not really about networking so much; law firms are quite meritocratic in their application process so getting in with Trainee X will unlikely get you ahead in the recruitment process. But they are excellent opportunities to get your face known with graduate recruitment, who can put a personality to the application. By simply doing an Open Day at the firm, you can get to the next stage of the recruitment process because they have actually met you.

Also, Open Days can be used in the all important 'work experience' section. I didn't have any legal work experience before I went to university. By the end of my first year I did Open Days at three different firms across the summer and when it came to apply for vacation schemes I had a bit of work experience to put down along with my normal employment history.

That's just my 'optimistic' take on them, I did get a vac scheme, but I am feeling a bit jaded by the applications process for training contracts at the moment, it's never ending! But, you're doing the right things by starting as early as possible, it is important and you'll be better prepared than your peers when the applications open.
(edited 11 years ago)
Hey Guys,
I officially have no idea how/when I'm supposed to be applying to these things.
Does anyone know what I'm supposed to be doing?
Reply 14
Original post by lilys

suffocation's response to your post is pretty much all correct, but I'd say that if you have any decent work experience in law already, Open Days are far from essential. I have never been on one, but I imagine some firms will use Open Days as a fast track to VS assessment centres? If this is the case, then obviously they're worthwhile, but otherwise they are not essential.

I don't know if by "non-law grad" you mean you've actually graduated, or are just studying a degree other than law at the minute, but either way the fact is that non-law graduates tend to make up 40-60% of most firms' intakes - they often look for people from different disciplines (scientists, linguists, economists, historians, etc. all bring with them knowledge that may be useful, as well as analytical minds slightly different to those that have done a law degree; once you factor in the GDL, it can make these candidates very attractive)
Reply 15
Original post by Wildcard
suffocation's response to your post is pretty much all correct, but I'd say that if you have any decent work experience in law already, Open Days are far from essential. I have never been on one, but I imagine some firms will use Open Days as a fast track to VS assessment centres? If this is the case, then obviously they're worthwhile, but otherwise they are not essential.

I don't know if by "non-law grad" you mean you've actually graduated, or are just studying a degree other than law at the minute, but either way the fact is that non-law graduates tend to make up 40-60% of most firms' intakes - they often look for people from different disciplines (scientists, linguists, economists, historians, etc. all bring with them knowledge that may be useful, as well as analytical minds slightly different to those that have done a law degree; once you factor in the GDL, it can make these candidates very attractive)

Thanks for that. I have no law-related work experience so I thought that open days would be a good way to show my interest; then again, I am unsure if I can put them in the 'work experience' section of the CV or should I rather mention this in the cover letter? (If the firm I am applying to is the one I attended the open day at).

I am going to start my final year in Sept, I know that, having studying Economics, I can bring a different perspective etc to the table but I guess I have to impress them more than law graduates as they would need to pay more for my education than theirs? (GDL course fees + maintenance grant)
Reply 16
Original post by lilys
Thanks for that. I have no law-related work experience so I thought that open days would be a good way to show my interest; then again, I am unsure if I can put them in the 'work experience' section of the CV or should I rather mention this in the cover letter? (If the firm I am applying to is the one I attended the open day at).

I am going to start my final year in Sept, I know that, having studying Economics, I can bring a different perspective etc to the table but I guess I have to impress them more than law graduates as they would need to pay more for my education than theirs? (GDL course fees + maintenance grant)

I've been a fair few Open Days this year, and at every one they've encouraged you to put it down as valid legal work experience on a CV/online application. Although they know you won't have gained any meaningful skills from just one day, it apparently shows a good interest in a legal career :smile:
Although I like your economic reasoning, I don't think the additional cost of non-law students really affects the decision-making process. HR don't care and often the partners interviewing you don't even know your background.

If you don't have any work experience I can thoroughly recommend going the 'informal route'. As well as applying for open days/vac schemes, email partners to ask for informal, unpaid internships. They like it because it shows entrepreneurial flair, ambition and boldness. Plus, you get to see the firm's true colours rather than some fancy masquerade that they normally show budding applicants. Plus plus, you don't have to compete with loads of other budding applicants. Plus plus plus, emails to partners are a much more economic use of your time: you can look up individuals' CVs online and find someone who will be sympathetic to your background to maximise your chances of success.
Reply 18
Original post by StyloCon
I've been a fair few Open Days this year, and at every one they've encouraged you to put it down as valid legal work experience on a CV/online application. Although they know you won't have gained any meaningful skills from just one day, it apparently shows a good interest in a legal career :smile:

Original post by richardfburton
Although I like your economic reasoning, I don't think the additional cost of non-law students really affects the decision-making process. HR don't care and often the partners interviewing you don't even know your background.

If you don't have any work experience I can thoroughly recommend going the 'informal route'. As well as applying for open days/vac schemes, email partners to ask for informal, unpaid internships. They like it because it shows entrepreneurial flair, ambition and boldness. Plus, you get to see the firm's true colours rather than some fancy masquerade that they normally show budding applicants. Plus plus, you don't have to compete with loads of other budding applicants. Plus plus plus, emails to partners are a much more economic use of your time: you can look up individuals' CVs online and find someone who will be sympathetic to your background to maximise your chances of success.

Thank you for all the advice, it's invaluable! I am now actually in doubt as to whether I should even consider applying to law firms - I have done a module in Law this year and got 2.2 from it (it was my worst result this year) so I guess this can show that I had the opportunity to study law and did not succeed, as opposed to just showing my interest in the profession. At least this is my take on it.

I know this thread is about vac schemes apps but I still think this is relevant and follows from what has been said previously.
Hello everyone :smile:

I'm just about to go into my second year at Loughborough University studying English, and I really want to apply for some vacation schemes next year, even though I am aware there are only a few who allow penultimate year non-law students to apply. I am also trying to get informal work experience with high street firms.

I've done a fair bit of research and I am just worried that most of the firms in the top 100 wouldn't be interested in me, due to my university or something. I'm confident in my extra-curricular activities, I've had several part time jobs (sometimes all at once) and I do a lot of volunteering. I achieved A*AA at A-Level, however my 2 A's were in Psychology and Sociology - not exactly well-respected subjects. I achieved 64.1 in my first year, so a mid 2:1 almost... Does anyone have any idea if there is any point in me applying to top firms at all for Vacation Schemes and/or Training Contracts?!

x

Quick Reply