The Student Room Group

How can I prepare for a Chemistry interview?

I have an interview at Manchester and Bristol for Chemistry (and, hopefully but unlikely, Oxford..) and aside from knowing your PS well and the generic 'why this course and/or uni' what else can I do to prepare? I plan to go through my whole syllabus and general A level Chemistry stuff, but I don't know what else to do.

Would reading articles be beneficial (I know they're helpful for subjects like politics and economics) but would they actually help in a chemistry interview? If so, where would be a good site to read them? The guardian? The times?

(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 1
Original post by InadequateJusticex
I have an interview at Manchester and Bristol for Chemistry (and, hopefully but unlikely, Oxford..) and aside from knowing your PS well and the generic 'why this course and/or uni' what else can I do to prepare? I plan to go through my whole syllabus and general A level Chemistry stuff, but I don't know what else to do.

Would reading articles be beneficial (I know they're helpful for subjects like politics and economics) but would they actually help in a chemistry interview? If so, where would be a good site to read them? The guardian? The times?

Why unlikely Oxford?! :redface: what are your GCSEs/AS/predictions? I hope you do get an interview as 96% do!!
Original post by extons
Why unlikely Oxford?! :redface: what are your GCSEs/AS/predictions? I hope you do get an interview as 96% do!!

My grades are terrible compared to most applicants :colondollar: Well done for your interview btw! :smile:
Reply 3
i have an interview too, i have the same concerns as you. freaking out over ucl interview??...........studying chemistry there would be beyond amazing lol scared i might stutter and hesitate if asked something random ............i freak out too much and panic under pressure
Reply 4
My grades are terrible compared to most applicants :colondollar: Well done for your interview btw! :smile:

Don't worry fella - my GCSEs aren't that good in comparison to most other applicants, but AS and A2 predictions make up for it. A good interview showing your potential will get you in!

Don't worry about it. &good luck! :smile:

Thank you - yours will be here shortly!!

Relax and read up about the universtys recent achievements (Manchester's pretty pleased with Andre Geim's Nobel Prize winning research on graphene, cough) and then read around the subject. So, with the previous example read about how Professor Geim won the prize, read about graphene's structure, history and properties. Read about those properties etc. It'll all truncate like a disassembled box giving you loads of information which spills over into current events and chemistry. The plus side is that 90% of the information you want is available through simple google searches :awesome: Manchester has several 'chemistry celebrities' so enjoy :tongue:

Also have a strong idea of why you want to do what you want to do. Knowledge gets you the interview and sets the tone, passion is what wins them over.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 6
Hey, I've had Manchester and Bristol chem interviews in the last couple of weeks. Manchester was very relaxed, they asked me a couple of questions on something I mentioned on my PS. Bristol was much more chemistry based, but was all stuff I had recently studied and nothing too tricky to worry about
Original post by Irrelevance
Relax and read up about the universtys recent achievements (Manchester's pretty pleased with Andre Geim's Nobel Prize winning research on graphene, cough) and then read around the subject. So, with the previous example read about how Professor Geim won the prize, read about graphene's structure, history and properties. Read about those properties etc. It'll all truncate like a disassembled box giving you loads of information which spills over into current events and chemistry. The plus side is that 90% of the information you want is available through simple google searches :awesome: Manchester has several 'chemistry celebrities' so enjoy :tongue:

Also have a strong idea of why you want to do what you want to do. Knowledge gets you the interview and sets the tone, passion is what wins them over.

Original post by fempi
Hey, I've had Manchester and Bristol chem interviews in the last couple of weeks. Manchester was very relaxed, they asked me a couple of questions on something I mentioned on my PS. Bristol was much more chemistry based, but was all stuff I had recently studied and nothing too tricky to worry about

Ah thanks guys, I had my manchester one a few days ago and it went alright haha, wasn't as scary as I thought! :smile: Bristol in 2 weeks!
Reply 8
i would say the main thing is to know properly in what you stated in your personal stat.... if you mention you like a particular area in chemistry you most likely will get question.... know your AS and briefly unit4
Reply 9
Anyone?? That has had an in interview with ucl?? Is it likely you will have an offer if they interview you?? ..... Some uni's do this?? Advise?? ... For ucl??

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending